Old training map files available?

Discussion in 'Mapping' started by Misfire, Oct 25, 2015.

1. Misfire

Misfire Always Lost

I know of two tutorial maps (not counting Vehicle Training). The first had floating balloons you hit for info as you did the walk through. This one helped me learn the basics back the day. I don't know the name though.

The second is simply called emp_tutorial. Any others I don't know about?

I'd like to set up a newbie training server using updated versions of these if possible. Update the maps and instructional features a bit while trying to impress more of the team aspect of the game on new comers. I don't have the time to build from scratch, but maybe I can put some new life in to the old ones.

Is there a keeper of the VMF files around?

Found mention of another from years ago.... emp_tutorial_blight

Last edited: Oct 25, 2015
  2. Beerdude26

Beerdude26 OnThink(){ IsDownYet(); }

3. [lodw]keef

[lodw]keef Hobbit

Oh my lord, someone DID use my tutorial map, yay!

The current dev's should have the vmf, I mean I still have all my old content but someone has updated the emp_tutorial and changed the map textures(map should probably be beautified at some point maybe as well, it was just a stand in 'commander map' with the basic base architecture and stuff but little to no map detail).

4. Freaknovich

Freaknovich Member

Whoa you're back. When you gonna become official empires mapper?

5. [lodw]keef

[lodw]keef Hobbit

No, not really, I don't have time to do anything fun these days. Game time now is more easily measured in hours per month or hours per season. :/

would be fun to do it again though.

6. Misfire

Misfire Always Lost

Sorry gang, I missed the updates for this thread somehow. Thanks for answering.
    Hey Keef, thanks for stopping by and also for making those maps. As a relative newbie I've only known the "legend of Keef". Nice to finally share a thread.

Maps I'm hunting....
    There are two that I recall. current emp_tutorial is the one with bases and all the hardware laid out with floating "billboards" of information right?
    I have that one.
    The map I recall was more an infantry walk through with those floating spinning comment balloons. It taught you to jump, duck, throw grenades, engi build.... I've not seen it since before SDK2013 was released. Is that a part of current emp_tutorial or was that a different or earlier version of emp_tutorial? I'd like that older one to work on too.

7. [lodw]keef

[lodw]keef Hobbit

It is part of the current tutorial map, it is just off screen from the minimap and uses the mini canyon tutoral map with billboards as its minimap. You can only spawn there initially so after that you will spawn in the regular map.

8. LordDz_2

LordDz_2 Strange things happens here

And the tutorial part works in multiplayer as well.

9. JustGoFly

JustGoFly Member

One tutorial I'd like to see would be fairly simple. No commander.

At Spawn enemy turrets, both ML and MG are outside your barracks. Sit there - you lose. Learn, try after try, to drop a wall, or be prompted with text at the rax exit. Throw engie grenades. If they spawn as Scout - the timing should be that they can't crawl to each ML in time. This would teach them some very basic skills, but is a 1 player type of tutorial.

When they succeed - their next task is to get into an APC, and take down the unmanned enemy barracks. Leave a partially healthy APC outside range and enough turrets to kill the APC en-route if it is not healed by that player.

Turrets defending the enemy rax should be easily handled now. Drop the rax for the win.

There are many more steps that can be added to teach basic engineering skills. If a voice could trigger on specific events - like each ML being destroyed, you could speak encouraging words to them. "Very good - engineer grenades are designed to destroy enemy facilities and turrets, they do very little damage to enemy vehicles and infantry".