New PC build

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Freaknovich, May 4, 2018.

?

Intel or AMD

Poll closed Jul 12, 2018.
  1. Intel

37.5%
  2. AMD

62.5%
  1. Freaknovich

Freaknovich Member

Looking to build a new PC. Budget is in the $2000-$3000 CAD range. The machine will primarily be for gaming, streaming and crypto mining on the side.

Currently looking at CPU as my starting point, and the i7-7820X is on sale so it caught my eye. But I'm not sure if 8 core is just a meme or not, because I don't think any games or software suites will even utilize all 8 core and I don't plan on using the machine as a server. Also I've always been an Intelfag, any reason to switch to AMD these days?

Thanks in advance.

2. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

L ast I checked, Intel was still faster in the single-core department (where lots of games still are, technologically), but I'm not sure how Ryzen shook things up (and is about to with the upcoming generation). That being said, I'd still opt for Intel, primarily because of brand loyalty.

3. мrвlυeѕĸy

мrвlυeѕĸy Member

Play this funky music, white boy:

w00kie likes this.
  4. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

To save a dolla i'd say go with ryzen, just cause single core performance is not terribly far off from intel and multicore seems to score higher in all sorts of bench marks. Ryzen also handles streaming much better for various amd reasons(it's been a year since i read the why).

All this said I'd like to know does this budget also include a new monitor for higher res or framerate or you still going to use an old crt monitor you had since highschool? because you certainly don't need to spend huge chunks of cash to max out on 1080 60 fps.

Just be sure to double check your deals on pcpartpicker, super convenient place.

D.D.D. Destroyer likes this.
  5. Space_Oddity

Space_Oddity The Shitstorm

Factor in that some Ryzens come with pretty cool stock coolers (so $70ish saving).

D.D.D. Destroyer likes this.
  6. complete_

complete_ lamer

dude your budget is 2000 dollars. you can pretty much buy what you want. go with intel.
    you'll probably want to put more money on the graphics card anyway

7. Freaknovich

Freaknovich Member

Thanks for the replies, guys. I have decided to just upgrade my video card for now instead of going for a full build.

I am running GTX 670 x2, but most games don't even support SLI and the card is really showing its age now. Is upgrading to say, a 970 or 1070 going to make that huge of a difference?

CPU is i7 950 btw.

8. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

Imma say yes. 970 is still sufficient for 1080p60 gaming on most titles. Prices are still above MSRP though (iirc).

Neoony likes this.
  9. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

For your reference, a 1060 or amd's 580 are basically equivalents to the 970. Detective Dapper Dan is also right a 970 gets you pretty smooth frame rates in most games. That said the games made on fancier engines like star citizen or hunt showdown kinda will make a 970 cry a bit if you are maxing dem graphics.

On that note you might find upgrading the cpu worthwhile. I say that mostly because I have a 2500k and I finally felt it's age when trying star citizen and hunt showdown(those cry engine games really make me cry :() I did only have a 950 but a lot of stuttering and things I felt were because my cpu wasn't handling it well, or at least that's what one of those in game hardware monitors.

Just getting a gpu first is fine though, you can pop that into any build and see if it's all you need.

10. Neoony

Neoony Member

I decided few months ago to wait for next gens, mostly because of that. [ damn miners xD ...but now I mine too xD ]
    Currently on XFX Radeon HD 7970 3GB Double Dissipation.

But also, there seem to be some new technologies [like HBM2 memories for example], which Nvidias dont seem to have and AMD Vega which does have HBM2, seem to be not as good as expected, especially for gaming. [ better for mining :P ]
    Next ones from AMD should be more of a jump, I heard [AMD Navi]. Not sure what Nvidia is planning.

But I guess this wont be until next year. [rumors say early 2019, some say end of Q1 2019]

...about CPUs, Ryzens are quite awesome...would go for one if I built any new PC now, they already got 2nd Gen "Zen+"....Zen 2 coming probably mid-later in 2019

So you could maybe wait for a year and build it with new techs.
    Depends on how much patience you got :P

BTW Intel seems to be really panicking since Ryzens xD
    + fun video :D
    youtube.com/watch?v=Xah84cJwdxE

Last edited: Jun 14, 2018