Map Spotlight: emp_duststorm

Discussion in 'Mapping' started by [lodw]keef, May 27, 2009.

1. Sheepe

Sheepe Member

The rock piles in the "New" ruins look weird, as there is no apparent reason for those to be rocks. Making them sand piles would improve the sensibility of that silly little place.

2. John Shandy`

John Shandy` Member

Alright, the b1 of duststorm for 2.25 (or whatever the next version of Empires ends up being) is now available for servers to run (for testing & feedback, especially).

Most of the changes are indeed cosmetic, some were fixes, etc. I screwed up the minimap texture, I meant to use a not-so-dark color for the water, and I also forgot to paint the water that's in the SW corner of it... it's just a minor mishap that will indeed be fixed by the time the map is put into a release.

Download emp_duststorm_225_b1
    http://www.sendspace.com/file/w06fe1

I'm on a bad connection with not-so-great upload, so if you wish to upload to other mirrors, feel free & share them.

Also, to any 2.2ers, please understand that the dust puffs in the map were always there in the past, but were left out from 2.2 - 2.24. They're not new, they're just "back."

3. [lodw]keef

[lodw]keef Hobbit

[​IMG]

Yey so finally somethings gotten released! Anyway sorry I've been MIA for the last 2-3 months, work just filled with overtime and school has started up plus various other IRL stuff. Things seem to be slowing down somewhat so hopefully I'll be able to get back into the mapping groove here.

Right well, this is a test release for the new Duststorm(named emp_duststorm_225_b1 just FYI). This test is mainly to find any odd bugs or ideas people may get from running around on the new map. For instance I already have on my list of things to do from the first test go around:

Tweak HDR to be more player friendly
    Raise the barricades in ruins cause raised sand has made them less visible
    maybe add wooden barricades on the skybox seam in the ruins(I'm not really feeling this one though)

4. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

so was i, im willing to take it back up if desired, but i prefer not to work alone on 1 map

5. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

i like the new textures :D

but you made the skybox fit too perfectly, there is no way to tell where the map borders are now :rolleyes:

6. @@@@Marcin@@@@

@@@@Marcin@@@@ Developer

he should make walls or a visual indicator then or a trigger_hurt

7. Omneh

Omneh Member

Or a trigger_push?

Fucking wonderful work by the way keef. I hope the rest of the map spotlights will turn out looking so good.

If they turn out at all.

8. Silk

Silk Mapper

Yes that's my concern atm.
    There's only very few maps of which we are sure will get an update.

9. Sheepe

Sheepe Member

Hot shit, this is awesome. Something should be done with the border... maybe make the dust thicker or something?

Also, A visual thing: a river bed the same color as the banks is really weird. I'd suggest making it darker and dirtier, but it isn't really important

10. DrummerX

DrummerX Empires Tyrant

The water is a deep blue, since the "rivers" are so shallow you don't get to see the coloring of the water except in the oasis near each base.

My thought about this is to make the center of the "rivers" a bit deeper, kinda like the way they are in Mvalley.

The idea of making a thick dust cloud near the borders is a great idea, great place for scouts to hide, heh. Problem is, that would look a bit weird since dust clouds don't look great in a skybox

11. siro

siro Member

The new version is great, except one error:
    The ruins in the skybox confuses me, because it looks exactly like the real one. I tried to run to the one in the skybox first time i played this map :-/
    maybe you could add some trees, stones,walls... to prevent this.

12. DrummerX

DrummerX Empires Tyrant

or put mines at the edge so if you hit the edge you blew up......

or maybe not....

13. [lodw]keef

[lodw]keef Hobbit

well i've been messing with fading textures to get a map edge effect, took me a bit actually to get this to work right. Anyway we have this grid effect that will fade into view when you get close to the edge of the map. Lets all the new players know 'TURN-NOW-QUICKLY!' and will hopefully prevent random run ins with the world edge while tank fighting.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It starts to fade in about the distance from south side ruins to the edge of the map.

This effect will also work nicely if air vehicles are implemented, they will be able too see the world edge before they run into it.

Might release emp_duststorm_225_b2 in a day or so here, fixing HDR, barricades in ruins, and see how well people take the new map edge marking.(I really planned on this map edge stuff for things like alpinerush as well where people complained about canyons that just end, basically just trying to make the game more noob friendly cause yes I'm well aware you vets shouldnt need it)

14. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

Looks sexy and distracting. Reminds me of Tron. hahaha

15. Empty

Empty Member

That should be official.
    Make it $additive

16. [lodw]keef

[lodw]keef Hobbit

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

looks better

17. Empty

Empty Member

Winrar

18. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

make this official, it helps so much also crown keef king of map ends

19. Silk

Silk Mapper

Very handy
    Nice job

20. McGyver

McGyver Experimental Pedagogue

OMG someone make a TRON-style map!! PLEASE, I BEG YOU!