gaming headphones - input please

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by JustGoFly, Jan 8, 2018.

1. JustGoFly

JustGoFly Member

I've been doing research on new headphones. I don't like Wireless, I have an awesome Logitech wireless headset that I can't use since the built in battery charger died. I like USB headsets.

From my looking so far the Logitech G430, or is it the TURTLE BEACH STEALTH 700 ?
    I want to keep it under $200, so the pro models are probably ridiculous, but I could be convinced if there was logic in the argument.

Help !

2. MegaMLGgaming

MegaMLGgaming Member

If i had to choose between them both, id go for the Logitech mostly because its on a fair discount in most stores. Dont really have a lot of trust into Bluetooth headphones yet because of random malfunctions in even the newest equipment.

3. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

Moved thread to the correct subforum, this isn't an Empires topic.

I'm rocking HyperX Cloud Revolver S and I must say that while it's a super comfy option, there is some kind of buzzing present in them, which drives me nuts. I'm fairly certain it's a software issue though, and aside from that it's a pretty great wired headset - super comfy, cancels out a fair bit of noise, and most importantly good audio.

4. bunnyhopper

bunnyhopper Member

5. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

Buy good quality headphones and a mic. This may sound like an odd question but do you want closed back or open back headphones? Closed back block out more noise but the sound stage is supposedly smaller, open back don't block any noise but have a bigger sound stage, which gameaholics tend to say is better. I say shenanigans on that and never had trouble hearing where someone was coming from with even cheap earplug type earbuds, but music that isn't all bass sounds kinda nicer with open back headphones.

This thread might be a nice read if looking for headphones. https://forums.empiresmod.com/index.php?threads/audiophile.18720/

I should also mention the benefit with this is if something breaks you are only replacing one thing instead of the whole package, which when I think about gaming headsets they tend to break all the time.

6. Xyaminou

Xyaminou Member

G430 is what I have, the 7.1 surround is pretty good, microphone is basic (ask Destroyer what he thinks he's probably the best person to ask).
    However it is heavy, and if you tilt your head forward or backward, you will have to tighten the top strap or it will fall. It's definitely not the most comfortable headset but you get used to it.

For the price, I would recommend it.

I also recently found out that it was causing a 0.5 second lag when using voice in Empires because it's using "software tweaks stuff" so if you do get it don't forget to go in steam options and disable that.

7. D.D.D. Destroyer

It makes X sound a lot deeper than he actually sounds, partially because of microphone quality and partially because of the reverb.

8. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

Be careful with how you store the turtle beach headsets if they have a wire. There is that volume control unit that is a bit heavy for the amount of support they have for the cable, and it can wear out within a year if you aren't careful.

I like corsair headsets otherwise.

9. Space_Oddity

Space_Oddity The Shitstorm

Headsets are a scam. Get a decent set of headphones and a decent desktop mic. You'll pay half as much for twice the quality.

Get a BLue Snowball and some Superlux 668Bs.

D.D.D. Destroyer likes this.
  10. JustGoFly

JustGoFly Member

Thanks for all the feedback. I've used headset for years, and may still order one, but one of the major issues is that I like to hear when someone is creeping up behind me, so the sound is not set very low. Empires sounds are so loud they really messed up my hearing. I hear a ringing all the time now. You may have noticed when I speak you can hear yourself in the background - because I take the headset off, and only use the mic and speakers. I ordered a BM800 condenser microphone, and a 48 volt Phantom power supply. If that is not good, I'll get a headset. If they had one that enabled you to clip the top end, but still hear the low noises, that would be great. Also if there was a way of turning off my speakers when I spoke into a desktop microphone, that would be better sound for everyone else playing.

w00kie likes this.
  11. D.D.D. Destroyer

Yeah Empires audio is borked beyond reproach. I play at 5% game volume, that's the point where all the explosions and shots aren't overwhelming....footsteps be damned.

Sgt.Security and w00kie like this.
  12. Sgt.Security

Sgt.Security Member

As a professional frontline vehicle driver, I do believe Empires has damaged my hearing slightly and perhaps permanently.

Also it's probably a good idea to amplify footstep sounds.

w00kie and D.D.D. Destroyer like this.
  13. PwnedYoAss

PwnedYoAss Member

Yeah, I can second that I'm pretty sure my hearing is damaged from this game.

14. D.D.D. Destroyer

More like, it's a good idea to lower the volume of the vast majority of sounds.

15. bunnyhopper

bunnyhopper Member

Why not just adjust the sound scripts to lower explosion volume ?
    Or add in a scripts\soundmixers.txt
    Example of a soundmixers.txt from TF2
    https://pastebin.com/FCw8h9vV

16. D.D.D. Destroyer

...because adjusting a volume slider is a much easier solution that leads to the same (I assume) outcome?