End of summer PUG, August 27th

Discussion in 'Events' started by Lazybum, Aug 22, 2016.

1. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

Hi, would you like to play a game? A rousing game of Empires? One where everyone (mostly) has their act together and teamwork is what makes or breaks games? Empires, the games of yore? THEN COME ON DOWN TO THE FINAL PUG OF SUMMER 2016.

Where and when, Click me for your local time.
    On August 27th, 1900 BST / 2000 CEST / 1400 EDT / 1100 PDT. Click me for your local time.

On Nubs event server.

Join the empires vet group for event notices and to be kept up to date on what's happening. http://steamcommunity.com/groups/empvetpug
    How this works
    To start off with we will have a 15minute warmup on district at event time start. Just so people can join in. Please join in even if it's a warmup, having 10 people stumble in when we are drafting or even after the draft can be rather disruptive.

We will be making the most out of scardybob's new pug plugin. To that end I just need 2 captains. You don't have to command too but be sure to grab yourself a comm(they will basically be your first pick.). You can read that link on how the plugin works but basically 2 people volunteer to be captains by typing !captain, then take turns picking players. After all players are picked then a 10 minute planning time commences so each team can plan accordingly. When the captain and team know what they are doing captain just types !ready, when both captains type ready round starts. When round ends teams switch sides for round 2.

I have to check, I don't know if the plugin supports keeping teams between maps but if it doesn't... Well either we just do another draft(we might do this anyway if it's terribly off balanced) or we just have people join the teams they were on like good old times.

I'm sorry to say but I won't be allowing prebuilt squads this time. This isn't going to be a series and I want this to be as simple and painless as possible.

Maps
    At the moment I don't have maps set in stone, you are free to suggest any commander maps you want, stock or custom. Just keep in mind I'll make final decisions based on player count, with captains also having final say. I'm choosing slightly more summer themed ones, but go ahead suggest whatever. Please note we won't play as many maps if we switch sides on one map.

Tropicovendetta, but I'm tempted to have cv's put on the ground so it can be played as a more traditional comm map.
    Isle, How much more summer like can you get?
    Traders, it's a rather bright city map. I'd say cyclopean but I feel like it's played all the time in pugs.
    Smokies, I see this in map list and looks like a real nice custom map.

Again it's not set in stone, you're free to make suggestions. I'll update this on Friday with a final map list and order.

About passwords

Because we are using a plugin that can delay round start and force people to whatever team they are suppose to be on I don't think I will password this event. I hope you all really show any newer player what empires is really all about so they too can up their empire's game play.

If I hear enough complaints I'll get a password on the server, but I don't think it will be bad thanks to scardy bob's plugin.

blizzerd and Xyaminou like this.
  2. Lazybum

Yeah, so sorry for bailing last time. I will do better this time though and promise not rage quit. It will go much smoother this time, honest.

Also sorry if this seems like a late notice, but I get the impression most tend to forget or just don't know til I make announcements the day before it starts so I think attendance will be fine.

As an aside, can someone give me mod powers on the vet pug group so I can make announcements and events on there? Rage quitting everything sucks in more ways then one.:(

3. Lazybum

Test is friday, this is saturday. I made sure they wouldn't conflict before I posted this.

4. Xyaminou

Xyaminou Member

I will most likely be there.

5. Devourawr

Devourawr Member

I'll be there. The idea of a pug without a password is great, by the way. Just make sure it's a 64 player server because it WILL fill up :D

6. Lightning

Lightning Member

LAZY IS BACK?! REJOICE! Ill get the vintage jekotian liquor!

7. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

i love you man, i love you

8. Avatarix

Emm... if we are talking about the same smokies, it had veeeery bugged refineries and it's awfully hard to place any buildings. And this orange tint is awful for me. Please no

9. Lazybum

Ah yeah, I'll look into getting it 64 players.

Didn't know smokies has bugged refs, if you got something else to suggest go ahead and suggest it.

Need captains too. Know someone who can reliably pick decent players? Then show them the thread or have them pm me on steam.

10. Xyaminou

Xyaminou Member

As far as I know, smokies doesn't have bugged refineries. It does however have an inaccurate and very hard to read minimap and some confusing terrain displacements, making it hard to navigate the map, even when you've played it before.

I might captain, but I do not know for sure, yet. My father is in the process of moving so I might have to help him move on Saturday and maybe even sleep over.
    I will let you know...

11. Herbie

Herbie Junior Member

Sweet, I should be able to make it.

12. Lazybum

HEYYYYYYYYYYYY, YOU GUYS, HEYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY.

Now that I have your attention, I would like to ask for more captain volunteers. I might have one sitting on the back burner, need to check something, but if there's anyone else who wants to do it, as in someone who hasn't before, I'll chose you over people who have done it a 100 times.

I'm making this message because tomorrow I'd like to go over things with captains.

I still need to check smokies, but I'll probably switch it to either palmbay(because I love palmbay) or arid(which is more sensible at super high pop).

13. Lightning

Lightning Member

i geuss i could be captain

14. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

i will be squad commander.

15. ScardyBob

ScardyBob Member

Just updated the plugin so that the teams persist for as many rounds/maps as you want.

16. Devourawr

Devourawr Member

I will now definitely absolutely 100% be there.

17. Lazybum

Yay, things are magically happening so pug will be 100% better. Thanks for the help everyone. :grinimp:

18. Xyaminou

Xyaminou Member

I hope people show more interest in the PUG than they've shown in replying to the thread.

19. Lazybum

A big part of that is I didn't have mod powers on any steam group so I couldn't really get the word out. Hopefully spamming the events on a group will be enough to get people in. No password should also help.

20. Silk

Silk Mapper

Too hot .. to ... play, brain ... melting ... slowly ... fading away

21. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

Why is it so early?

22. Herbie

Herbie Junior Member

Just in case anyone here didn't get the event messages.

The pug is delayed by 1 hour.

23. Lazybum

Pug seems perma delayed. Or at least until next Saturday. More on this eventually.