TECH SUPPORT COMPILATION (Read this first!)

Discussion in 'Support' started by Beerdude26, Dec 4, 2007.

1. Beerdude26

Beerdude26 OnThink(){ IsDownYet(); }

EMPIRES MANUAL TECH SUPPORT PAGE

Please check these suggestions first, especially if you are having FPS issues.

http://www.empiresmod.com/help/tech_support.htm

HOW TO ADD THINGS TO THE LAUNCH OPTIONS

Left-click on the Steam tray icon.
    Select "Games".
    Click on the "My Games" tab.
    Right-click on "Empires 2.0".
    Select "Properties".
    Click on the "General" tab.
    Click on the "Set Launch Options" button.
    Put in the text box: COMMAND YOU WISH TO ADD
    Click "OK"
    Click "Close"

*Issue: Some textures are just pink/black in a checkered formation! / Some models show up as gigantic ERROR words!

It is possible you have downloaded a corrupted version of Empires, or that several textures somehow got corrupted in the process. Unfortunately, there is no other option than to download the mod again from a different source. Please inform us which download link was corrupted by replying in this thread, so we can fix it. We are sorry for the inconvenience.

*Issue: My game preferences / keyboard binds are reset whenever I start the game!

Make sure your .cfg files (found in Steam/Steamapps/USERNAME/Sourcemods/Empires/config/ ) are NOT read-only. You can check this by right-clicking on the file, selecting "properties" and looking at the "Attributes" below.

*Crash: Game crashed. I am running Windows Vista.
    (This fix is courtesy of Deathstorm.)

Click Start. Click 'Run...'.
    Type cmd in the text box and press enter.
    Now type in:

net localgroup administrators NetworkService /ADD

Restart your computer.

If Source Sdk Base still crashes, go to your prompt again and type:

net localgroup administrators NetworkService /ADD

But DON'T RESTART, open your game and you can play.

A note by Brutos:

*Crash: Game crashed midgame with looping sounds

This issue is usually caused by Paged Pool memory issues. It can also be caused by sound card issues or (very rarely) PCI issues.

Follow this link to the Steam Support Answer for detailed instructions: Link

If you wish to increase your Paged Pool Size, please check the Empires Manual's "Tech Support" section: Link

*Error: CMeshDX8:: LockVertexBuffer

This issue usually means you are unable to run in DX8 mode. Try running in DX7 or DX9 mode:

-dxlevel 70 (for DX7)
    -dxlevel 90 (for DX9)

This can also be caused by too little Paged Pool Memory.
    Link to a thread with more details: http://forums.empiresmod.com/showthread.php?t=6281

*Error: Internal driver error in IDirect3DDevice9::Present()

Update your video card drivers and DirectX to the most recent versions.
    If you are running AVG / NOD32, uninstall it, as it may cause problems with Source-based games.

If you still encounter this error, please consult the Steam Diagnostic Tool.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2008
  2. Shadowhunter

Shadowhunter Member

Hey my empires keeps quitting out and then says something like "could not lock vertox in cmesh dx8 but i got dx9 whats up with that?

3. Solokiller

Solokiller Member

Open the launch options and add "-dxlevel 90", without the quotes.

4. Shadowhunter

Shadowhunter Member

yea thanks for telling me that but its still happening nevermind i think i got it

Last edited: Dec 27, 2007
  5. Necromunger

Necromunger Member

THt shit is not working im canstantly geting Error: CMeshDX8:: LockVertexBuffer
    stuff in all my steam games evan when i change the lanch options and put
    -dxlevel 90 or 70 in it can someone help me please???

6. Beerdude26

Well what are your system specifications

7. Necromunger

Necromunger Member

iv got XP home edition 8600 Geforce direct x 9 normaly

8. Necromunger

Necromunger Member

i wish i could play this game i think i would try to start mappping with it but i dont think i ever will cas im HEXED or id sign up to be a develouper

9. Beerdude26

A tutorial can be found here: Link

(Sorry for any wrong terms)

10. Necromunger

Necromunger Member

the info

PROBLEM : Well i have recently goten a new hard drive sence my old one crashed i used to play empires on that one but now tat i have finaly goten empires again on this new hard drive whenever i go to enter an Empires server it gives me that vortex buffer direct x8 error and it still gives me that same error when i change the lanch options to run it in driectx 7 or 9 :headshot: and with that none of my other steam games work to

SYSTEM SPECIFICATIONS

OPERATING SYSTEM : Microsoft Windows XP home edition (5.1, build 2600
    PROCESSOR : AMD athlon(tm) 64 processor 3000+, MMX, 3DNow, ~1.8 GHz
    MEMORY : 1024 MB RAM
    VIRTUAL MEMORY: :eek: i couldent see anything called that was it "page file"? because if it was that says: 575MB used, 3422MB available
    DIRECTX VERSION : DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
    GRAPHIC CARD : GeForce 8600 GT
    GRAPHIC CARD MEMORY : 512.0 MB
    RESOLUTION : 1024 x 768 (32 bit) (60Hz)
    DRIVERS : nv4_disp.dll
    ADDITIONAL INFORMATION :
    I dont know how meny problems iv had to deal with from steam lol all the way from loseing all my games to geting the message that steam is unavailable when all my frends are playin on it.. my computer it a strange build i dont actualy have 1 gb of ram just two 512Mb, but the strange thing is when i had my old hard drive and it was working well it would sometimes just close randomly:confused: i really hope someone can figure out wats wrong with my comp lol and btw i have taken a diagnostic test and it has told me to update to the latest drivers but..I Have lol:confused:
    hope yous can help..
    Thankyou

11. REX

REX Member

sound like there is some software problem obviously:rolleyes:, I dont know how to fix that but maybe there are also some other problems if your system is feeling strange.

about the shutdown thing have you done all the normal stuff checked temperatures and so on ?. If it havent been cleaned in like 1 year+ there might be some overheating. Also I once found out my dvd drive was the reason for shutdown failures on my old system.

12. Necromunger

Necromunger Member

i cleaned it about 3 weeks ago

13. knighttemplar

knighttemplar Member

With all the things going wrong, you might be due for a reformat. It sounds like it's not only Empires you're having trouble with.

14. Beerdude26

Yeah I think it's also a good idea to reformat your computer. Even if that doesn't turn out to be the problem, the entire "moving an entire hard disk to another" thing often has odd results. In the best case it's just fragmentation (= computer slows down) but I've known some guys that got blue screens because their hard disk drivers didn't agree with some other programs and such.

If you decide to reformat, don't forget to save your screenshot folder :)

15. Necromunger

Necromunger Member

dudes aum... i hardly have anything on this hard drive and my old one has been obliberated :headshot: would i really need to reformat a harddrive that hardly has anything on it but empires and all things required to play it?

EDIT; my old screenshots folder was detroyed with the rest of my old drive lol /cry

Last edited: Jan 19, 2008
  16. knighttemplar

knighttemplar Member

It's likely windows and a bunch of your drivers that are messed up.

If you have a decent internet connection, just reformat and redownload all your Source stuff over night. Something got messed up in the move.

17. Necromunger

Necromunger Member

lol i can do all this other stuff but i nerver lerd how to reformat dont call me a noob lol iv already dune that for any who would call me it somethings allways just in the way for me

could someone explain how to reformat or is it a bit to complicated?

18. REX

REX Member

So its an all new install on a new harddrive right ?

I lost several HDs they slow down and sometimes start to make strange noises I usually take them out and get a new one before they die completely.

19. Necromunger

Necromunger Member

yes everything is new

EDIT: my mind almost split in half when i got my computer back from the compter shop cas they installed the new HD and source games didnt work(little bit oftopic but just explaining) i evan had trouble istalling games like age of empires 3 because when i went to put a seond cd in it would crash so i only have steam games on itt but i do also have Wow hand the screen keeps flashing and fliskering when i look around to fast

UPDATE: i got to play CS:S for about 2mins befor it crashed and i forgot how plesurable it can be but i still got that vortex buffer error

one more litte thing.. did my computer look strange to you guyes or anything that was unordenary?

Last edited: Jan 19, 2008
  20. knighttemplar

knighttemplar Member

Reformatting is not too hard, just make sure all the software (the installers) you want is nearby on disks and any files you want to keep (pictures, movies and music etc) is saved somewhere else, then you put in your windows disk, format the drive then install windows. After that's all done, go nuts downloading all your drivers, reinstall your programs and have at it.