Star Citizen: Organization!

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by =PVCS) Cpatton, Dec 30, 2014.

1. =PVCS) Cpatton

=PVCS) Cpatton Member

Hey Guys,

Star Citizen has been pretty awesome so far. For those of you who haven't seen it yet, it really has been blowing people away on a regular basis, both in terms of progress and the number of features they plan on having. To keep this short, lets take a brief look at the in-engine stuff they have so far here and for those of us who want to cut the crap and look at gameplay, here is a little longer gameplay vid. I start 3 minutes in to cut out the hanger intro.

[​IMG]

Now I know those of us who really got into it, we have been watching Star Citizen turn into an amazing game already. There are already playable game modes for deathmatch, racing, capture the flag, which demonstrates fleshed out gameplay and modules of the game that are stunning and fun to play already. Having just launched their lobby component, the game will soon be easy to practice as a team.

Which is why now seems like the best time to ask who is interested in playing. There's been a pretty long discussion thread here in Off Topic, and everyone in that thread seemed to realize that yea, the game was actually happening, so now it seems like we should organize. I know a lot of us enjoyed the empires community and, if possible, I'd like to keep us together because lets face it, the whole of this community will likely be dwarfed.

I think there is good history to be pulled from Empires, which is why we took a first crack at some of that when we made a Star Citizen organization (I get a good laugh every time I read it). You can check it out here. More accurately though, we just built the shell, for you, and us.

In the empires community, BSID has always been a polarizing element, but we have always done it in the spirit of the game. Rather than the quarrelsomeness of empires clans, we want to make sure everyone feels like they have an organization to go to, and one that isn't going to just disappear or lose interest. If anything, Empires has been around forever as have many of the members, and so I wanted to open it up to you all, to join us. Tell us what you like about what we've put together so far, but more importantly, contribute to make it what you want to get out of Star Citizen.

TL;DR, let's get empires together, and take our spirit into Star Citizen. The amazing things I've seen in this game, I'm excited to see what we can do. Anyways enough monologuing, make an account on our forums at www.brenodia.net, and let us know what you think.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2014
  2. w00kie

w00kie Mustachioed Mexican

You have an Error in your sig :)

3. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

Nice idea, it seems like a good thing you want to do.

I won't be joining you, but I hope it goes well.

4. BigTeef

BigTeef Bootleg Headshot master

Sorry cant join, your leader is still butt-hurt over guild wars flop.

Have fun though.

5. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

Playing with BSID? Yeah nah.

6. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

Star citizen is something I have been wanting to try out for like the last 6 months, but stuff or other games or empires comes up and I never get around to getting it. Maybe in a few months when I clear some of my back log.

7. =PVCS) Cpatton

=PVCS) Cpatton Member

Thanks Wookie!

Teef... I have no idea what you are talking about. And this isn't Guild Wars lol.

Thanks for proving my point Grantrithor :).

Man what a Lazybum. :P

8. Headshotmaster

Headshotmaster Member

9. Thor

Thor Member

/endorse

What Cpatton said!

Also Teef - Supreme Overlord, not leader.

Seriously though - I'm looking forward to playing with some of you in the near future. This has been a project in the works for over a year now, and Star Citizen is at the point in the development cycle where we can get the ball rolling. FPS is also going to be a major part of Star Citizen, so those who aren't interested in pewpew spaceships still may want to give it a look. A video demo-ing the shooter aspect of the game(including zero-G combat) is found here.

o7

10. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

Still considering, I might end up asking for a spot at some point.

11. McGyver

McGyver Experimental Pedagogue

I'm surprised you are all so convinced that it will turn out decent.

12. =PVCS) Cpatton

=PVCS) Cpatton Member

McGyver, I'm surprised you haven't figured it out yet tbh. The game is currently playable, fun, beautiful, looks polished, and full of detail that really speaks to anyone that's bothered to try it.

It's already turned out decent, and sure there is more to go but the delivery has been spectacular so far, and that's with about a year of playable history in the alpha.

I'm in no rush to conVince you Mcgyver, another milestone is coming with the FPS module, something everyone here could enjoy, and is set for release in the next few months. I'll make sure to post a link for your critical review when it happens, in the meantime you can certainly watch Thor's link and read the REDACTED reddit AMA about it if you want to know what to expect, and why we are excited.

In the other thread you criticized people for acting like we play this game. We do, and it's been fun and already delivered more than we expected so far. That's why.

13. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

You guys playing Elite Dangerous in the meantime?

14. f1r3w4rr10r

f1r3w4rr10r Modeler

I was thinking on trying it, but the game's aesthetics really don't speak to me. Not like Star Citizen does.
    Concerning joining the Organization: I'll wait a bit see if anyone joins at all.

15. =PVCS) Cpatton

=PVCS) Cpatton Member

Are you playing it Ikalx? Myself, no probably not. While it looks really interesting, I feel like it would only detract from my enthusiasm with Star Citizen, because I do feel the games are fairly similar. I don't think ED looks as polished, and a lot of the features they have planned for updates (boarding, ship stealing, space station interiors, space walks, ship repairs, multi-crew ships) are all slated for initial release of Star Citizen.

The games seem to overlap in that sense, both playable, with the primary difference being ED is "released" with planned updates, and star citizen is still in full developmental swing (with 5 times the budget based on the last numbers from ED) and will release later.

So in short, I think it looks good, but there is a lot keeping me busy with star citizen and I have a pretty full schedule at the moment keeping me from playing multiple MMOs. I'd really like to hear what people think of it first hand if they are trying it out though!

16. w00kie

w00kie Mustachioed Mexican

SCs official website is interestingly shitty.
    Renders wrong on Opera 26.0 (chromium 39).
    Renders wrong on Nightly.
    Renders correct on IE 11 but the shopping cart is bugged, so unusable too.

17. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

I'm not playing either, currently. Elite Dangerous is still a bit expensive at the moment, and Star Citizen, well...it'll be a while, I'm sure.

It's been a long time since I've played a real space combat sim, though, it's funny how they almost stopped making them for 20 years, then all of a sudden two big projects crop up.

I don't think Star Citizen quite has my perfect ship yet, which is good since I'd probably reach for my wallet :p

18. f1r3w4rr10r

f1r3w4rr10r Modeler

Complaining about it not working on Opera I can understand. Complaining about it not working on a Firefox version that's for testing purposes only...yeah no.

Try it with Chrome, if you want to actually use it.

19. =PVCS) Cpatton

=PVCS) Cpatton Member

How do you have 3 first goto browsers that aren't Chrome? Or at the very least Iron, or some derivative? It's a really good browser, and it isn't constantly bloated or getting fixed like Firefox.

To be fair, it's a fairly customized site, it's not just an html 5 copypasta with embedded css like most half assed gaming sites, but it works great in Chrome. I'm sorry IE doesn't work for you, it seems to work for me, but I bet it's because of some default microsoft security setting like restricted activex or privacy settings.

Also what are you interested in buying Wookie?

20. BigTeef

BigTeef Bootleg Headshot master

AOL master race