Random freezes

Discussion in 'Support' started by Reznov, Sep 4, 2012.

1. Reznov

Reznov Member

Every time I get a freeze my game stops to work for about 4-5 seconds and the sound starts to loop until the freeze is over. These freezes seem to happen randomly, sometimes they appear frequently and sometimes they don't at all. I tried updating all my software but it didn't solve anything.

My computer specs:

CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3770 CPU @ 3.40GHz
    GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670
    Sound: Realtek High Definition Audio
    RAM: 8GB

I'll post it a bit more specific if needed. I hope you guys can help me.

2. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

Related to that weird vehicle factory bug? When someone makes a vehicle... causes short lag for some.

3. A-z-K

A-z-K Member

I had exactly this on the steamtestpires. I just deleted content then downloaded again. Everything works fine now in my testpires.

Never had it in current release of steampires.

4. LordDz_2

LordDz_2 Strange things happens here

Do you get several weapon icons on the right side of your screen when this happens?

This happened to me when I had 512mb Ram, (one ram piece broke).

5. w00kie

w00kie Mustachioed Mexican

leave perfmon open on a second monitor and check if there happens to be a queue >1.00 on your harddisk while playing.

try defraging if bored.
    try running steam in Admin mode if more bored.
    try turning of TurboBoost features of your Ivy Bridge CPU if really fucking bored.
    try stepping back to an older gfx-driver or a newer beta driver if your life depends on it.

6. LawnNome

LawnNome Member

I had a problem like this, every 3-6 seconds the game would go totally unresponsive and the current sound would loop for 3-6 seconds. run another source game, if this occurs there its time to reinstall your operating system, that's the only thing that fixed it for me. i tried deleting all my game cache and re-downloading (total waste of 12+ hours) just skip the crap and reinstall everything.

7. w00kie

try deleting the steam-overlay browsercache,
    try a way older video card (I sometimes get into trouble with gtx 560 ti where gtx 260 was fine before, thank you EA cunts),
    try enlarging your windows swapfile to fixed 13 gig,
    try cutting the loop with scissors,
    or pay me and I really help you.

8. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

I used to have it. You'd get big gaps in the net_graph 3 graph. Not a lot you can do about, fresh install of windows fixed it for me.

9. A-z-K

A-z-K Member

got any disconnected network drives?

10. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

or wireless connections....

11. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

I did think it was the wireless, it's a shame I swapped to a wired connection just as I wiped my PC clean, so I couldn't really isolate the problem. But now you've reminded me, yeah, I remember when speaking to people, I think all of us who had this problem were using a wireless network.

12. Reznov

Reznov Member

Yesterday I played empires and it didn't happen so I'm not entirely sure what's causing it. Sometimes it works perfect and sometimes it just doesn't. Can't figure it out either.

And no I'm not talking about testpires or the weapon icon's the to right. I will not re-install windows for this either.

13. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

you didnt answer if its wireless. also if the lagspikes follow a pattern, like its every x-seconds it might be some service interfering.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2012
  14. w00kie

[​IMG]
    disable all network drivers that you don't need at the moment also make sure you have only one active network connection. Steam is a dump cunt (and so is HL2) when it comes to awareness of which way to take to the servers.

Wireless will _always_ cause weird behaviour in source based games, that's where all the funny pictures of BE mediums with NF gunturrets come from. Switch to shitty powerLAN if you can't make a wired connection to your network.

15. Reznov

Reznov Member

Nope, no wireless. I unchecked that "Virtual PC-Networkfilter" box though, maybe it won't happen now?

16. w00kie

I hope you're fixed now.
    If not, try more (possibly hazardous) stuff:

There is an easy way to prevent windows 7 from doing lots of maintenance stuff in the background (defrags/desktop cleanup/minor shit).
    Though that stuff should only run itself when complete idle is detected, there are some situations where it will start while you are present and busy. Just set "Computerwartung" to OFF and reboot _twice_.

[​IMG]

To lazy to change windows to Engrish just for that screenshot (I guess austrian version would look the same).

Open a command line with administrative rights and copy this in
    Code:
    net start >C:\users\YOURNAME\desktop\services.txt
    Set YOURNAME to your useraccount name, hit enter and open the new txt-file on your desktop, post it here.

17. Reznov

Reznov Member

Well, it happened again but I found a solution to it. Everytime those random freezes happen I just have to restart empires completely to get rid of it yet I still have no clue what causes it.

18. w00kie

Backup your empires' .gcf's and folders and do a clean download, play with that for a day and look if it's gone.

19. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

I just had the freeze thing after installing Kaspersky anti-virus 2013. It worked flawless beforehand.

20. Reznov

Reznov Member

Still happening like a motherfucker and restarting Empires is not a great solution to it. It might have something to do with my virus scanner aswell(avast! Antivirus) but I had that on my last computer and Empires worked without any freezes. If only I was able to figure out what caused the freezes to happen...