New Tutorial Map

Discussion in 'Mapping' started by Kidpaler, Jan 30, 2017.

1. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

You haven't fixed everything from the list I gave.

1.Minimap is still inaccurate
    2. This tree is on the sidewalk
    3. The wall and the building have slightly misaligned textures/, also the grate is not visible, also floor textures have lightmap scale issues
    4. The rightmost turret in the Scout section is too close to the wall and can clip into it with its longass barrels.
    5. The sidewalk on the right side of the Scout section is misaligned. I didn't check the left, sorry.
    6. Missing texture, plus the MURREN overlays are glitching out and being replaced by solid black at certain angles.
    7. That wall before the Grenadier section that had lightmap scale problems is quite barren in that nook.
    8. The black boards telling you to change class look weird as hell and have texturing/overlay problems. Make sure the text is only visible from one side and the remaining five are solid black or something.
    9.The world ends too soon here.
    10. The APC bot respawned and is killing me with HMG because I keep alt tabbing to write here.
    11. This wall's textures are all over the place.
    12. The bot respawned and killed me while I was typing that. Again.
    13. The water is clipped off and I can't go in it but it totally looks like I can.
    14. HMG bots are way too vicious for the average newbie.
    15. These wheels are missing some textures.
    16. The rails that the crane is moving on are so deep that once you fall down into them you have to jump out.
    17. After killing the APC, the target is still pointing at where it was on the ground, and I don't know where to go now. And I keep dying to HMGs.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2017
  2. Kidpaler

Kidpaler Member

1. Shit.
    2. Shit.
    3. I moved the whole map in an effort to stop that thing where you win the game and it teleports you to center of the hammer grid and you can see the buildings innards
    4. Shit.
    5. Shit.
    6. Weird, will look into.
    7. Will add shit.
    8. Will fix. I just added those in last second, I need to make them fit in the environment as well.
    9. When I redesigned the ending that happened.
    10. Try playing it WITHOUT you having the sv_respawn_penalty set to 1. They shouldn't respawn.
    11. Shit.
    12. Sucks to suck.
    13. Yea it does. That's intentional.
    14. Shotguns?
    15. Yea they are. I need wheel textures.
    16. Okay....
    17. Will fix.

Thank you for testing! Does APC spawn reliably?

Testingpropaganda.png

3. D.D.D. Destroyer

18. What the hell are these black boxes
    19. I found the final capture zone, it's not marked in any way, as aren't the previous ones. There need to be visual cues to know where to go.
    20. You haven't moved the map enough. Perhaps try adding another (hidden and tiny) capture zone that is input-linked to the final cap point, but is better placed? I don't know if that'd help. Alternatively, add another capture point, like an exfil ship or something, that has another capture point that ends the map when captured. That'll keep your view locked.

Shotguns would help the damage problem by a lot.

I don't know if the APC spawns reliably, the two times I tried the map it spawned.

4. Kidpaler

Kidpaler Member

Did those black boxes happen first time?

I'll mark it, Although you should have a way point to it.

I'll add something to prevent you from seeing through. I actually think this is something source related. It seems when you finish the map it brings your view to the coordinates of 0,0,0 which is the dead center of the hammer editor, where your view currently goes.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2017
  5. D.D.D. Destroyer

Those black boxes were there on the first playthrough.

6. Kidpaler

Kidpaler Member

WELL, I have no idea.

I also noticed that the cranes didnt spawn in?

7. Kidpaler

Kidpaler Member

I'll be putting out V3 tonight that will fix most of Destroyer's gripes. IF ANYONE HAS ANYTHING ELSE TO ADD, make it known now,

I need someone to play this on a fresh install of the game so I know what textures are missing and to include.

8. Major Cleve Cutler

Major Cleve Cutler Member

9. Kidpaler

Kidpaler Member

10. Major Cleve Cutler

11. Major Cleve Cutler

I just got idea about the bots. Is it possible to limit the amount of NF tickets so they used up by the bots when they first spawn? And, so that the map doesn't end by killing the last bot, maybe you could spawn an extra bot and hide it out of reach of the players?

12. Kidpaler

Kidpaler Member

I have a fix I'm going to try.

13. Kidpaler

Kidpaler Member

THIS MIGHT BE THE ONE! (Prolly not)

Go ahead and test please.

Can someone else do the minimap for me? I, for some reason, can not get this one no matter how hard I try. It's pretty much the last thing (Besides maybe some toggles on those boards that tell you to switch class).

THANKS FOR TESTING!

FYI, I kept the last bot as an HMG whore because... yea. Last bot should be hard. He's the last one left.

14. Major Cleve Cutler

Nice job, but there is still a problem with the textures. This time, the tires of the tractor-trailer by the factory and the tires of the crane at the last capture point are missing textures now.

15. Kidpaler

Kidpaler Member

Right. I forgot.

I redid some textures and forgot to include that but included everything else...

Otherwise, how was the tutorial? Did it look better/Play better? All bots spawn? (Should be 1 APC and then 5 in the port yard I believe)

16. Major Cleve Cutler

Everything else is good. The bots spawned right and all the mechanics worked. APC still spins the turret like a merry-go-round though.

17. Kidpaler

Kidpaler Member

Can't fix that.

No missing textures? If so, I can finalize this tonight which will be a BIG win.

1 down, 2 to go.

CAN I PLEASE GET HELP THOUGH? I need someone to make a gif for me of how to make a tank that is in a decent resolution. Please, this is SUPER important and the last thing needed for tank tutorial.

18. bunnyhopper

bunnyhopper Member

1.Should put a wall after the APC..If you die at the last part you spawn with the rifleman from the apc behind you.
    2.If you move to fast through the map the audio clips start stacking. Need to freeze the player until the audio clips finish.
    3.Them bots might be a bit brutal for new players.
    4.Restrict walls and turrets. You can bypass the class restrict by wall climbing.

19. Kidpaler

Kidpaler Member

Did you try the latest one? I fixed the audio clipping and APC bot spawn.

Here it is.

As for restricting walls, if they are seriously going to ignore the audio and visual cues by building a wall to get over then they aren't playing the tutorial to learn.

20. D.D.D. Destroyer

I can appreciate the thought, but a tutorial is 100% railroaded linear nonsense for a very specific reason - to force people to do things a certain way. I'd enforce the Rifleman requirement as per bunnyhopper's suggestion.