[Gameplay] Grenadier class Tips/Guide

Discussion in 'General' started by Spike, Mar 23, 2017.

1. Spike

Spike Long Live The King!

Mines
    Mines can be used to take out tanks and infantry the best way to use them against infantry is mainly running up to the enemy forward barracks and main with a jeep and then mining the entrances of the buildings. This will one kill there infantry and two damage there buildings and three create disturbances within there team. The prime building you should mine is there vehicle factory to kill infantry and tanks while they are trying to get vehicles onto the field if you manage to kill a tank it will put a small dent in there resources as well as preventing the enemy team from getting mobile it is best to rush there vehicle factory early game for the best effectiveness.

When placing mines to kill tanks i suggest you place the in a pile of 2/3 for light tanks and apcs - 4/5 for medium tanks - 7/8 for a heavy tank. When you do place your mines be sure not to move your mouse or player character so all the mines are in each other so it looks like one mine this will confuse newer players to thinking it is just one mine. Only to find it its actually afew.

Also one other tip with mines is the ability to detonate mines you do this by placing 8 mines in a pile then once you place the 9 mine the 8 mines you placed previously with explode this is good against heavy tanks using diffusal. Veteran players often refer to this as a 9 mine.

Mortar
    The mortar being one of the best weapons is very good against infantry and can kill in one hit if you hit them directly even with health upgrade. It is the early game siege weapon and it very good at clearing out enemy entrenchments like turrets and turrets. However is probably one of the hardiest weapons in empires to use therefor many people don't play grenadier i suspect because they don't feel confidant enough with the mortar against infantry which is fine it does take awhile to get the hang of it. You also must learn to lead your targets if the are moving at speed shoot where there going to be not where they are. If you are not sure what leading your target means i suggest you go and look it up on google.

The mortar is also very good against buildings. When up against vehicles i suggest you fire off your mortar first then switch to your RPG instantly to fire both weapons off quickly to get the maximum damage on the target.

When you come across an engineer building a turret i suggest you aim slightly behind and to the side so you hit him before he builds it.

RPG
    The rpg is very good against enemy tanks when you are lead of a squad it is best to have 3 grenadiers in that squad so you can designate a single target with squad target so all the grenadiers fire at the same target thus killing the enemy vehicle quicker. A good squad utilizing walls and squad target's can easily hold off against mediums and maybe even heavy's especially now that grenadier upgrade has been added into the game.

The RPG can also be used to snipe engineers building turrets as they tend not to move while building there turret. Also i may add rpg's are not good vs buildings

Skills
    The first skill should use as grenadier is speed upgrade. When i play grenadier on foot i mainly use speed upgrade, health upgrade, melee upgrade and ammo increase or defusal another i may use is accuracy upgrade to make the pistol somewhat better.

When driving a tank the first skill you should use is defusal then Armour upgrade then Armour detect. You can be very effective driving a tank as grenadier because of the Armour buff, mines having no effect and of course knowing where to hit to enemy Armour.

When playing grenadier movement is key never stop moving when you come up against another player jump around and strafe as much as possible making your harder to hit and kill.

Sidearms
    The pistol1 is one of the best weapons in the game its good on the move and does a good amount of damage and has a decent clip. You should be able to finish off there infantry with it once you hit them with the mortar.

The BE deagle isn't really that great, the nf shotty pistol got a unnecessary nerf so i don't really suggest it. The BE machine pistol however is great and really good at close range. But i really do suggest you stick with the pistol1 due to it being the best all round choice.

Conclusion
    The grenadier class may be one of the best and most us full classes in the game however its the hardest to master the other best class being engineer. I think every player should practice grenadier as much as possible once they get good at engineer.

Other Tips
    It takes 3 mortars/rpg's to kill a turret.

If i have missed anything please feel free to point it out. It would be nice to have input from other grenadiers within the empires community. The next class i will over viewing is the engineer class.

I have also published this on steam via the guides rate up if you think it is good: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=889496581

Last edited: Mar 23, 2017
    Neoony likes this.
  2. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

as this is for new players, you missed the most important thing: the 9th mine will explode the 1st one. if they are placed close enough it will also explode your other mines. you can exploit this and drop a stack of 8mines and detonate all of them for great justice damage. on chokepoint maps, where you can be sure a tank has to drive over them, this can take out a heavy instantly (but only one and then you need ages to redrop them). if you use it on your own vehicles to get them to places where they aint supposed to be or even worse 9mine your own commander, dont be surprised if you earn yourself a ban though.

placing a stack of mines infront your own vf also often isnt a bad idea if you expect an attack. even if they are better hidden there, dont place them inside or the carcass will block production.

mortar is pinpoint accurate, this is not very obvious, if you dont move you can hit the very same spot twice.

rpg has higher spread in prone than it has crouched (why ever, can someone tell me the reason?)
    at long range rpg still shoots a tiny bit more right than the crosshair suggests.

turrets only take 2 rpgs after the last upgrade (not sure about the first i use mortar against turrets)

also spike exaggerates the usefullness of grenadiers. depending on the situation they sometimes are a requirement, but grenadiers busy with tanks are easy targets for riflemen. the best team composition is a - situationally adequate - mixture of classes. there should always only be one scunt at most and he shouldnt use scoped rifle - no exceptions.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2017
  3. Thexa4

Thexa4 Developer Staff Member Moderator

Would you mind adding this to the wiki? It'll be more visible to new players that way.

Neoony likes this.
  4. Kidpaler

Kidpaler Member

It takes 3 rockets from the RPG to kill a turret, I think the same as a Mortar. So, in the case for turrets, Rocket = Mortar for damage.

Also, if you do manage to snipe a player with rocket its an instant kill.

5. flasche

not for the highest upgrade RPG, its only 2.

6. Kidpaler

Kidpaler Member

Yea but you said " (not sure about the first i use mortar against turrets)" That's what I was replying to. I guess I should have made that more clear.

7. flasche

oh i meant for the first upgrade. im really not sure about that. i rather safe my rpgs for tanks. i also almost allways (except at the start) use ammo increase on gren because damn me, i hate running out of either rpgs or mortars in the middle of a fight.

8. PwnedYoAss

PwnedYoAss Member

... I really need to remember his name, but there was an Empires player a long time ago who figured out you can consistently hit someone with a RPG in a strafing shoot out by curving it as soon as it came out of the rocket launcher. As long as you kept your crosshair level, and only moved laterally in the other player's direction of movement you'd peg them.

The amazing bastard would kill me every time I'd fight him. It's damned effective against another grenadier if you have it practiced. I encourage everyone to try this shit.

9. Spike

10. Kidpaler

Kidpaler Member

I frequently use it as a sniper. It's so damn nice because you can track the player as well. Just get them in your crosshair as it's following and they are dead.

Also, we should get an Anti-Infantry RPG.

Edit: For rifleman is it going to say, "Hold down left click and point the gun in the direction of the enemy. You are now a pro."

11. Avatarix

[​IMG]
    it's far easier to shoot this giant tube of metal in vertical position bc adjusting it would be a pain in the ass
    also the hot air from the end of the tube could burn your feet which isn't nice

12. PwnedYoAss

PwnedYoAss Member

Oh right, yeah if you just shoot it at someone who's prone they're likely to die more often than not just because they aren't moving. No need to even track it.

Anti-Infantry, like high splash?

13. Kidpaler

Kidpaler Member

Well yea, but it's also fun to hit the guys running around. If you launch a rocket and then stand still, usually the enemy you are trying to kill will suddenly stop and take aim at you giving you a split second to just smash it into their face and kill them.
    Edit: People also don't zigzag in Empires, so if someone is running away you can just track it and hit them in the back. RPG is a wonderful weapon at decent ranges.

Also, yes. We need a high splash RPG. I know people say "But that is the mortar" but the mortar has an arc.

14. flasche

you better not hold down left click, but click every, hard ot say, something like 0.5 to 0.75 seconds? well unless its really close combat at least, then you spray like thered be no tomorrow.

and please, no anti-infantry RPG. grens should be able to fight tanks, i dont want to hear, "sorry dude im anti infantry"

15. Avatarix

who needs anti-infantry RPG? most IRL rpg's use HEAT rounds which have pretty nice explosion radius and I dont really know why we cant use it like that in Empires

16. flasche

avatarix in case you missed it, its a fucking game, not reallife. in reallife you dont need to hit a tank a hundred times before its out of order. in reallife you dont carry dozens of rpg and mortar rounds. in reallife you dont have nukes on tanks. in reallife tanks dont overheat from firing. in reallife you experience pain. in reallife any weapon hit will pretty much take you out of the equation. in reallife you cant hold a calculator against someone and expect him to suddently feel well or even bring him back to life. in reallife you dont respawn.

in reallife war sucks.

17. PwnedYoAss

PwnedYoAss Member

Wish we could get Worms style homing missiles. Just get rid of the RPG all together and have a bag full of individual missiles.

For those who have no idea what I'm talking about.

18. Spike

The RPG upgrade in the research tree really breaks the game the person who implemented it really did not foresee when 3 grenadiers are in the same squad all firing at the same target. This tactic was good even before the grenadier upgrade now its just completely ridiculous grenadiers do too much damage to enemy vehicles when in a group and even when alone.

19. Avatarix

no fucking shit smartass
    but in videogame your character is still humanoid and it has a body resembling it
    "I dont really know why we cant use it like that in Empires"
    also why did you get triggered so much about it? war is hell and it will be
    making a resemblance to something in real life isn't that heretic and game-breaking, don't ya think?

20. Avatarix

they are meant to hurt much, three people with good upgraded weapons should hurt and defend themselves