Emp_silo (working title)

Discussion in 'Mapping' started by Omneh, Feb 16, 2009.

1. Varbles

Varbles Simply Maptastic. Staff Member

OK an alpha compile of this map is up on the EPIC test server. You need to download the files from here first: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2644783/maps/silo_a4.7z

Please feel free to go on and mess around, look for any bugs or exploits you can and post them. About this time tomorrow I will start a full final HDR compile and hopefully most bugs will be squashed by then. Most importantly, I'd like feedback about your FPS and if you prefer the map with color correction or not. You can turn color correction off or on in your video settings. Personally I prefer it without because it's a bit too blue.

Known issues already are:
    overlays on the signs outside the middle don't work
    a wayward sign post on one entrance to mid
    missing face on one of the crates
    misplaced steam emitter near a ref
    rain showing up underwater
    skybox water not reflecting

2. Demented

Demented Member

When you said it was blue, you weren't kidding. It's not so bad outside, but it's particularly excessive inside the silo. Though, it really should be up to you to tweak the colorcorrection and lighting to the map's needs.

There's a slight optimization issue with the pools by the refs outside the middle having reflective water, since it combines the most detailed parts of the map with reflective water that's only barely part of the scene but still adds its tremendous rendering cost.

3. Varbles

The less subtle blue in the silo is my fault as I didnt realize how strong the color correction would be when I changed the lights, so I made them pale blue, and the CC overcorrects it. The blue CC also makes the pale yellow lighting turn slightly green which isn't nice at all. I could make a new CC scheme but I'd have to start from scratch since the filters that made up the old one aren't stored in the .raw, only the final result is.

As for the water, it should transition to cheap water at about 5000 units using the default water_LOD, I'll see if I can't lower it. I think the water in those spots is worth what rendering cost it may incur, though. Thanks to the Visleaves you should only be drawing it when you can actually see it.

4. CyberKiller

CyberKiller Nyooks!

Just get rid of the colour correction or redo it to be much more subtle. I hate the overly strong colour correction like on maps like glycen.

5. Varbles

updated with rc5 released

6. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

You skipped RC4? WHAT THE FUCK MAN. YOU CAN'T DO THAT.

7. Deadpool

Deadpool SVETLANNNAAAAAA

The flags are OP as hell, they also fuck up your team. Either too many go mid and you get good res but lose map control or no one goes, and if they take them with two people you're also fucked.

k since there's no screens i'll describe my idea to fix it:

put a fence right down the middle of mid, leaving access to one flag for each team. you dig? like, split it almost diagonally so that you each get one flag by default, and only when you've pushed them out of their main, or made significant ground on their side, can you take the flag.

you'll all say that's dumb as hell, but in fact it preserves empires actual core gameplay, and splits a decent (OP as hell) res income evenly, until what should be the tipping point.... in these circular maps (coast, canyon, etc) you sometimes wind up pushing them out of the opposite spot you just got pushed out of. with this division of the middle flags, this push would have a reward every half turn, if you follow my meaning.

as it stands, never have I ever seen a good hard fought well played fight over those middle flags, all it is is that one team gets them, the other team maybe ignores their OP-ness, and leaves them... only to find that having 2/3rds of the map is in fact actually worthless in comparison. Fix that disparity and you have a stock map on your hands.

8. Trickster

Not quite true. It's mainly about playercount. Those flags are OP at low player counts but next to useless at higher ones, because flag resources don't scale.

9. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

deadpool - why would you render the most detailed part of the map useless?
    i think itd be better to lock the topmost route off. its not as visually appealing as south and center (iirc), leaving you with two major routes. id also open up center for vehicles bc infantry only areas didnt really work out so much in empires, they just divide players more.

also trickster, do flags scale with player count now? bc at some point a year or two ago it was said that they will ...

Last edited: Jun 28, 2012
  10. Trickster

No, and there aren't any plans to for now. Main issue is that it'll break all the maps that already use flags.

11. flasche

ok, thats cool, just wanted to be sure. so many things happend over the recent years it sometimes hard to keep track ...

12. complete_

complete_ lamer

forest gets by with having a useless mid. just make it give a small res increase

13. Deadpool

Deadpool SVETLANNNAAAAAA

I hate the middle of silo, it just eats half your team which at low player counts isnt worth the money, and at higher player counts means you get spanked around the outside.

also it's too damn uneven, building placement is impossible

me hate silo

14. flasche

i think the blendmodulate texture of the ground material is missing or the material points to a wrong file. (just a wild guess)

[​IMG]

in case someone fixes it id be interested in what the fix was.