Building preview getting stuck

Discussion in 'Closed bugs' started by Tama, Apr 17, 2016.

1. Tama

Tama Developer Staff Member Web Developer

Does anyone know more about this bug? How can we most easily reproduce it? Is it also present in the beta version?

I don't actually know what is meant by "gets stuck" - if it related to buildings being unbuildable in the same place but with different rotation, then we'd need to test this bug in the current steam beta (password is "testingtime"), as this is no longer possible in 2.8; in whatever place, rotating does not affect whether you can build there.

2. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

well to me it sounds like if you rotate a building there is a chance the blueprint gets locked in position and you cant move or rotate it anymore unless you select a different building reinitializing the whole placement process. but im also only interpreting.

also was it always like that with rotations? does it simply use a AABB to check terrain? bc there was spots where you needed to rotate to fit (slaughtered sbend f.e, if you rotated the rax well enough you could place it way further back)

3. Tama

As far as I know it has always been the case (until 2.8 beta) that rotating buildings affected whether you could place them.

What I encountered in the code was a jumbled collection of tests, some overlapping, and some rotation independent (with explicit comments saying this is intentional) while others (did I hit another building?) were rotation dependent.

4. Señor_Awesome

Señor_Awesome Member

Pretty sure this was referring to when you rotate a building, it can get stuck on a certain rotation and position. I vaguely recall this happening a couple times, maybe some other old comms could weigh in. Quite possible it has/had something to do with buildings not being place-able in some rotations in a given location, as that's the only time I recall encountering something like it.

Example: attempt to place a rax, rotate it to try and make it fit - don't find a fit but when you try to rotate again it does not rotate and you can't maneuver the building anymore. Have to back out and reselect to be able to move it to a new spot and try again.

As for reproducing it, not a clue. Rotate the shit out of it.

5. JustGoFly

JustGoFly Member

If there is a zone that will accept a building, I never get "STUCK" rotating buildings. I do align buildings and take my time making them align perfectly.

The only issues I have, I believe, are already known :
    1) Uneven ground - this disallows dropping of buildings in locations that we used to drop - for example BE can't drop a rax on the way to S bend in Slaughtered. They have to completely take the normal NF drop location near the water before they get a rax. BE also can't drop near the bridge on Slaughtered. It's not as much of a problem on other maps but an irratant.
    2) Unable to drop buildings when enemy or enemy structure is nearby. This is by far the biggest issue for com's. It keeps them in COM view way to long. Since they are in COM view instructing to remove a wall, or wait since nothing is in the area sometimes we wait five minutes for the ability to drop a ref. The com becomes more susceptible to sneak attacks. I try to com spending as short a time as possible in F2 view. This issues is causing more com's to remain very long periods in F2 view. Why not allow drops when enemy is nearby, enabling the enemy to kill that resource. Seems a com should do his job and check for enemies first.
    3) Not a problem and more on target to your question: Rotating a building 20-30 degrees will many times leave it green, in a wide open location, but 45 degrees it goes red. I get used to tweaking the rotation and location to get it aligned just right. I don't see this as a major issue.
    4) COM's can place buildings inside of mountains. This just pisses off the other team and calls of exploit and "ADMIN ban so and so", are called. Admins can't destroy those buildings, and ban seems to be excessive for something that both teams are capable of doing. Minor problem and not excessively exploited.

6. Tama

Closed because nobody can repro. If you can repro, open it as a new bug, posting as much information as possible. (use LiceCap or similar to get a video/gif of the behaviour)