Potential HUD Feedback Thread

Discussion in 'Art' started by Devourawr, Apr 20, 2017.

1. BigTeef

BigTeef Bootleg Headshot master

I would like that.

2. Neoony

Neoony Member

The one with no background definitely looks better.
    Dont mind the colors, actually I think they look pretty nice.
    But if not, then something white for the bars. Simply something clearly distinct from the color behind it.

And yeah, Iam for numbers for health bar.
    Also I like to see what class are my squadmates, and yeah it needs health. Just the whole squad thing might need to be a little transparent.

Maybe something similar for ammo counter?
    Think right now health having no background kinda doesnt fit if ammo had a background.

3. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

i think i worded that badly, colors are ok, just not all three primary colors at once.

look for example at the planetside screenshots. the "base color" (or the most prominent one at least) is cyan contrasted by green and yellow which both are next to it in the rgb color space.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2017
  4. Devourawr

Devourawr Member

This is shit and it will not look like this, but you get where we're going with this - how do you think we should model the hp/stam bars so they're clear, look nice, and very importantly linear? Should there be gaps?

Another reminder that colour/size/etc takes .5 seconds to change, don't focus on that
    Infantry HUD mockup straight forums3.png

5. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

Each stamina block means one jump right? That's a nifty way of doing it then, though it looks like your missing half a jump? I don't think I like how thick the glow lines around the health bar looks either, too much brightness on the hud is kinda distracting. I like where you are going with that design though, I think it will work nicely enough.

The whole health/stamina block doesn't really fit with the rest of the hud elements though, the sharp light blue corners on the other parts looks a bit jarring to me. Or at least it looks like I should be able to click and drag to expand them for some reason, I dunno.

Neoony and flasche like this.
  6. Paradox

Paradox I am a gigantic asshole who loses people's hard wo

Omg this looks fucking abysmally shit.
    Please no.
    What we havenow is so much fucking cleaner than what you want to make.
    Its not because you are the guy responsible for HUD dev that you need to actually add remove or replace anything.

Holy shit dont implement this atrocity

7. flasche

howto constructive feedback

failed

gj @Paradox im sure exactly this attitude is what will only bring forth the best empires we could possibly get.

8. Lazybum

People are going to change what the want to change, the most you can do is try to point them in a direction you think would be better.

9. flasche

i like to think that a constructive together has a bigger chance to bring forth something that pleases more people than some spewed out "what you do is shit".

10. Devourawr

Devourawr Member

Guys, how many times do I have to say it? What I am doing here is not meant to be taken as final. I wouldn't just make that and say done - I adapted suggestions given to me in the thread in a health bar. Obviously I would change the rest too to whatever style settled on, but why bother? It would just mean I reply way slower and people might even want something different.

That being said, I think you'e right that it's too bright and glowy. I'll tone it down. But I'm really unsatisfied with the shape and the way they overlap, if anyone has any ideas and wants to do a quick paint sketch of some shapes they think would work it would be nice.

You really don't understand the point of this thread. Just give suggestions and I make them and we discuss what works and what doesn't. I seriously fucking doubt anything I've made so far will be anything more than an influence - I want to refine and post ideas, get criticism and more ideas, and then keep making until we can be satisfied in form and style. You're just wasting my time. If you have input or ideas to give, please do. If you don't like it, that's also good - I don't like it either. That's what this thread is for. But the current Empires UI, the one I made, also looks like shit. So I want to take this opportunity to make it better with you guys. Please help me on that.

11. Lazybum

No I get that, I just don't know if you intend to keep the design with the hard corners or something like the hp block that has no defined shape. Or if you were just roughing out the hp block and intended to make it more like the other elements, in which case my original points stand.

12. Devourawr

Devourawr Member

Probably a mix of both, where I use the hard corners for the menus/minimap/etc, because we need something simple and clean for those, and then whatever design everyone is happy with (so never) for the HUD elements like ammo/hp/turret/camera/mines/squad/etc

13. Paradox

I mean I dont know shit about UI, or devving. I just know if something looks bad or good, is bad or good.

14. Kidpaler

Kidpaler Member

He's asking you what specifically looks bad about it. You don't have to know anything, just describe why you think its bad.

Is it the colors?
    Is it the layout?
    Is it the backgrounds of the hud pieces?
    Is it the crispness?

Stuff like that. You don't have to know anything, you just have to describe why it's bad rather than saying "IT'S SHIT"

15. Paradox

Every single part is shittier than what we have now

16. flasche

thats still no constructive criticism. you need to add why its shittier.
    cmon what are you 10?

Kidpaler likes this.
  17. Kidpaler

Kidpaler Member

Perhaps a CSGO approach to the ammo ticker? Super small, gives a simple number of (amount of bullets you currently have in gun)/(Amount of bullets you have total) and then to the right of that it has 5 bullets which turn red when you get below 5 bullets remaining in said mag/clip. It's very small and secluded to the bottom right, which I think could work.

Edit: Added picture for show. It's very small in the bottom right, which I think would work for Empires to remove some of the clutter. GIUYF.jpg

18. Paradox

It just litterally all look shittier, from the colors, to the bulkyness, to the fullness, to the size of the letters to litterally everything.
    Every single part looks worse than what we have now.

19. Kidpaler

Kidpaler Member

Okay, so state what you think would be good. Stating what is shit isn't helpful, state what you think would be good would be better. IE, decrease the size of ____, colors, etc. Do what everyone else has been doing, posting pictures and thoughts on how to improve it. (Unless you just say "Don't change it", then I guess there's not much else to add.)

20. BigTeef

BigTeef Bootleg Headshot master

Dude its paradox, you should of ignored his post to begin with.
    In fact I am surprised you people don't ignore mine.

My opinion on the hud is that it doesn't bother me what we have long as I understand what im looking at.
    I have played games with no fucking hud and too much hud, so I don't have a preference other than the suggestion I made.
    But as Australian man pointed out, you cant do it with the code we have.

Neoony likes this.