Places with SURF_NODRAW?

Discussion in 'Mapping' started by Tama, Mar 21, 2016.

1. Tama

Tama Developer Staff Member Web Developer

I've been having some trouble getting building placement to work in S-bend on slaughtered. Strangely enough, it seems to hit a SURF_NODRAW, which I believe is used by mappers to explicitly forbid building placement.

Are there any other places with SURF_NODRAW and/or explicitly forbidden to build on? It would help with my testing if I had a couple of spots to compare different versions of the building placement code.

2. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

if SURF_NODRAW corresponds to the nodraw texture then every non-visible face should be a nodraw surface. as it does exactly that, it doesnt draw a brush, while still keeping it world geometry (which seals the map, collides with players and objects, blocks vis, light and so forth)

if its not map-geometry, you use other tool textures, like trigger, hint or clip ...

it might be the big nodraws inside the displacements used only for vis-blocking (as displacements dont block vis), they should be textured in nodraw.

if you raycast downwards and it ignores displacements (why ever) you could also hit the bottom brush of the skybox. since you dont see it, its often also covered in nodraw.

but its hard to tell without the map. its an official map anyway, you should have the vmf, why not open it and look for yourself? (theres coords in the right bottom corner of hammer)

Last edited: Mar 21, 2016
  3. Xyaminou

Xyaminou Member

I'm pretty sure at least one of the versions of money has "SURF-NODRAW" areas on top of the bridges that lead to middle.