Number keys or numpad

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Grantrithor, Jul 21, 2013.

?

Do you use the row of number keys or the numpad?

1. My keyboard makes sound

56.3%
  2. Row of Number Keys

31.3%
  3. Numpad

12.5%
  1. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

I don't think I can hold it in any longer, I must find out what the convention is to typing numbers on a computer. Do you guys use the keys along the top of the letters on their keyboard for typing in numbers or do you guys use the numpad? Personally I use the row of numbers but I see lots and lots of people in my day to day life using that barbaric numpad thing.

And it makes me question my own existence when they do so.

2. Fooshi

Fooshi For fuck's sake Fooshi

I switch between them. When entering random numbers here and there, like in a forum post, my year of birth or in my password, I use the row. When entering a sequence of numbers longer than 5-ish and for calculator purposes, I use the numpad.

3. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

what fooshi said. also, bc you wrote barbaric num-pad grant, the number-row above the letters is older (typewriter)

4. Candles

Candles CAPTAIN CANDLES, DUN DUN DUN, DUN DUN DUN DUN.

I third what's been said. If I'm typing numbers that are short or intermixed with letters, like a MAC address or a birthday, I'll use the number row. If I have to use something like a calculator or type an IP address, I use the numpad. I can blaze out numbers with the numpad, but only if I don't need to use letters at all.

And yes, my keyboard makes the most beautiful sounds. Keeps my roommates up all night long.

5. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

4th etc.

6. RetroFade

RetroFade Member

I only use NUMPAD purely out of habit I guess

7. wealthysoup

wealthysoup Lead Tester

Same as pretty much everyone else. Numpad for most things but do use number row for 1 or 2 characters (perfect example being this post ;) )

If you see anyone that regularly enters a lot of numbers into a pc its almost certain they will use the numpad due to how much faster and less movement is required

8. Pope_Homeless_XIII

Pope_Homeless_XIII Member

9. -=]Kane[=-

-=]Kane[=- Member

This! Or close to it anyway, I'm switching to numpad whenever there's more then 2 numerals with exceptions ofc, duh, numpad is great!

10. Space_Oddity

Space_Oddity The Shitstorm

My keyboard is mechanical master race. I use the number keys because that means I don't have to turn numlock on. Plus they go backwards on the numpad, I have the same problem with calculators.

Post in all the threads.