Maps start with x-1 tickets

Discussion in 'Closed bugs' started by D.D.D. Destroyer, Jan 22, 2014.

1. BigTeef

BigTeef Bootleg Headshot master

It does

VERY WELL MIGHT I ADD.

2. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

Candles Internet Defense Force detected.

3. BigTeef

BigTeef Bootleg Headshot master

People don't seem to understand Candles, nothing bothers him except really small details on things which is why he is taking his job more seriously that the people before him.

Seeing as empires is a finished game and the only thing that kills the game for people are the constant bugs.
    Sense candles is basically removing that problem for at a greater expected speed, its up to the rest of the team to chime in on candles momentum.
    If we are to see a player spike in the future.

After said spike its up to everyone else to develop a fucking tolerance towards new players and stick through it and hope we got more people like JGF, who stay with the game no matter how fucked the community is.

However, I will enforce that commanding is the only thing that should be taught and everything else should be learned via experience.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2014
  4. Sgt.Security

Sgt.Security Member

I am not sure if I am misunderstanding Candles, but this seems not hard to fix?

5. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

I'd rather we not get JGFs, I want people to like the playerbase, not be yelled at by it.

6. Candles

Candles CAPTAIN CANDLES, DUN DUN DUN, DUN DUN DUN DUN.

Oh, no, not at all. In fact, the fix would be incredibly easy. Remind me to do it after I'm done with the port.

EDIT: Let me be a bit more clear actually. I do want to do it because I like the bit of polish it'd give, but at the moment we're in a feature lock due to the port. Now, I've been adding a few extra things in, like color interpolation for vehicle armor/chassis and increasing the effect of stamina upgrade, but those are all changes that can be done in a single file. Testing them is simple because it's a single element of the game. If there's a problem with them, it's a single revert to a single file. If there's a problem but we don't want to revert it, at least I don't have to run the debugger through several different files trying to figure it out. But the check for the number of team reinforcements happens somewhere around ten different places in several different files and annoying to test because it only really matters happens at the edge cases of a team having max, 1, 0 and -1 reinforcements. The problem isn't balancing putting effort towards it versus putting effort towards the rest of the port; rather the problem is the risk of adding extra problems that are unrelated to the current goal.

So yeah, although I'd want to do it, it's more sensible for me to do it later on after or near the end of testing out the port. Remind me about it later and I'll look into it again.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2014
  7. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

isnt it just the odd counting difference? we are used to count from 1, but in IT we start from 0, so the 199 tickets shown are infact 200 tickets afterall.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2014
  8. A-z-K

A-z-K Member

I don't see how people still complain empires is buggy. I rarely come across anything that is even mildly annoying. Most AAA titles now have waay more noticable bugs.

shtaaaap it you guys. Time is better spent on implementing important things like the commander uavs I suggested in my first ever post and refuse to give up.

9. McGyver

McGyver Experimental Pedagogue

Just shut up with your suggestions and let them finish the port to Source2013!

10. wealthysoup

wealthysoup Lead Tester

Yeah, there was a big push for fixing bugs in 2.4 and 2.41 which really helped things. Just a pity theres not that many people that still play (/can play) to benefit from it :(

And then with the port to Source 2013 the cycle will probably repeat and itll be another 5(ish) years to get it more or less bug free again lol

11. Señor_Awesome

Señor_Awesome Member

Now I'm wondering what it would be like if entire teams consisted of one person. As in, the entire team responds the same way the person in question would.

For instance, a team of Reznovs would rush a vehicle factory and jeep swarm.

a team of JGFs would complain about the research and wouldn't listen to each other (but would all be giving orders)

a team of BigTeefs would be hell

a team of FNs would be too busy jerking off to the sound of each other's voices to actually listen to the 10 different comm rush tactics being planned

a team of Señors would probably be very confused and ineffective

12. Z100000M

Z100000M Vithered Weteran

The fact that empires runs on ductape is evident even during normal gameplay.

13. Z100000M

Thats sweet, but I think Reef added enough polish to the code as it was.

lel

14. Sgt.Security

Sgt.Security Member

That's because I didn't exploit them in your face.
    I used to troll Hobbes with comm recycle bug and few other bugs.

Empires is really buggy.
    Back in old days I could discover a new bug every day.

15. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

The game was barely playable after the Steam release. It just about compiled. Jephir painstakingly went through every bug I sent over to him and fixed them, and I must have written a list of well over 100 of them. I don't really want to say "between us we did X" because that implies some sort of 50/50 work split. I worked my ass off tracking and testing every bug, and I probably did less than 20% of the work that Jephir did. I'm really not surprised it burnt him out. A lot of those bugs had been there since the orangebox patch. Which is why I'm kind of worried that once we hit the Source 2013 version, we're going to go through this cycle all over again.

You know Z100000m, when I think of Polish coders, I can't really say that Reef is the first one that came to mind.

16. Z100000M

who cares about marcin

his biggest contribution was a motorcycle thread.

17. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

m00tant you dink. The radioactive developer who hated Empires.

18. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

I don't really want to post a cliché facepalm gif, because I'm not Spartacus.

But seriously Z10000m, really?

19. Z100000M

Mootant was as much polish as I am German.
    And yea, I am somewhat exploiting this situation , seeing as there were alot of poles involved for reasons unfathomable.

20. McGyver

McGyver Experimental Pedagogue

Marek was not polish?