Dynamic Shadows in Empires

Discussion in 'General' started by Freaknovich, May 1, 2013.

1. Freaknovich

Freaknovich Member

So I have been thinking about the introduction of dynamic shadows in cs:go (outdoor ones) and how they would look great in Empires. I doubt this can be implemented, but I could be wrong. Also I wanna hear what other people think about this being in emp. IMO this would add a very nice level of polish to the game and would eliminate the ugliness from having model shadows overlapping the environment prerendered shadows.

[​IMG]

2. LordDz_2

LordDz_2 Strange things happens here

3. Freaknovich

Freaknovich Member

Yeah it is sort of possible to use env_projectedtexture but I don't think it was meant to be on an entire map. I know cs go uses env_cascade_light which uses the configuration of light_environment to cast a full dynamic shadow around the whole map. It also has an lod feature that adjusts the light map scale according to the shadows distance from the camera. Too bad its only part of the cs go sdk... so yeah. /thread i guess. I can always dream though.

4. Sgt.Security

Sgt.Security Member

Approved. It looks really nice.

Although I am wondering if there would be much opportunities for players to notice the awesomeness of Dynamic Shadows, in Empires.

5. wealthysoup

wealthysoup Lead Tester

Whats the FPS hit with these like? If it can be done by mappers then I see no reason they couldnt be included in future (apart from time and laziness). If it needed code then I doubt if your going to see it for a long time

6. Beerdude26

Beerdude26 OnThink(){ IsDownYet(); }

I'm fearing this would have a massive performance impact. I don't know enough about this to support this hypothesis tho