Commander selection breaks after a while.

Discussion in 'Closed bugs' started by urethra franklin, Jan 8, 2013.

1. urethra franklin

urethra franklin Member

After being the commander for a while the selector breaks, the selection drag box becomes red (Is this some feature or normal thing?)

Steps to reproduce:
    1. Be commander.
    2. Wait a while and notice not being able to select anything.

This is really annoying because I can't recycle shit sometimes.

2. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

old bug is old.
    Sometimes for no damn reason... A gets stuck on so it thinks your trying to give attack orders. Just hit A and it should stop being an ass to you.

3. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

Yeah, the input gets stuck. Hitting A a few times can fix it, but that's not really much use to new players.

4. Ducky

Ducky 2D Artist

This can happen when the attack key is held down while exiting the commander view (like wasd users already steering left when exiting).
    Entering "-emp_comm_forceattack" in the console usually fixed this for me - as a suggestion maybe just setting the "Exit Interface" key definition (in scripts/emp_control_menu.txt) to "emp_comm_exit;-emp_comm_forceattack" could solve this - didn't try that though.

5. Jephir

Jephir ALL GLORY TO THE JEPHIR

Closed

Need more specific reproduction steps. "Wait a while" doesn't give enough information to reproduce.

6. Brutos

Brutos Administrator Staff Member Moderator

This seems like the most likely cause.
    We have these actions that could get stuck through the same way:
    Jephir do you know a better way then doing something like pPlayer->ClientCommand(all of those above) in emp_comm_exit? Shouldn't there be something to end all active commands?

7. Jephir

Jephir ALL GLORY TO THE JEPHIR

No ideas. I think I would just do a bunch of ClientCommands.

Although I'm not sure if the commands are actually causing the issue. Without being able to reproduce we're just guessing at what the problem is.

8. Candles

Candles CAPTAIN CANDLES, DUN DUN DUN, DUN DUN DUN DUN.

I just tested it. If you hold A while leaving the comm view, it causes the selection to stay as an attack order until you press A again. Same with Alt and Z, so it really seems that it's just not firing the toggle if you leave before letting go of the key.

9. Trickster

If that's actually the cause of this bug, which has been around for as long as I've played, that's an awesome find.

10. Candles

I was digging through the forums out of boredom, and I thought "Why the hell not?"

Fixed.

11. McGyver

McGyver Experimental Pedagogue

Wow, you are actively searching for old bug reports and fixing them? Haven't seen this kind of commitment since MOOtant.

12. A-z-K

A-z-K Member

Holding any button when you leave command view causes that input to stick.

This is the single and only reason I have ever fallen off the edge on octogons.
    By far the worst for everyone else though is when microphone broadcasts for 5 minutes without me noticing.

13. Candles

I try to do what I can. Though, it's not particularly helpful that most bugs are either unreported, impossible to reliably reproduce, involve some terribly confusing code, or are considered to be "features". This was an exception in that it's been reported, can be easily reproduced, has a fairly simple solution and is unanimously considered a bug and not a feature. Really, I think that even if a bug can't be fixed easily, reproduced reliably or might be considered a feature, it should still at least be reported and documented. You never know if someone might figure something out.

EDIT: When I think about the voice transmit, it bugs me a bit. Intuitively, you'd think that if you hold down the button, voice transmits. When you let go of it, voice stops transmitting. The simple solution to fix voice transmitting is to stop the transmission when someone leaves the CV, but obviously this bug happens because people are talking while leaving the CV, so the simple fix would cause another issue. I might look into dealing with that one when I get back home, because I agree that it's a fairly annoying one.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2013
  14. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

Fucking hell candles, your our savior. Wait... so since your fixing silly things... does that mean you finished gui overhaul?

15. Z100000M

Z100000M Vithered Weteran

And here was I thinking it was because I reminded you about that like a month ago.

Yey regardless.

Actually Candles, since you are doing old news bugs, why not fix rpg reloading while still in guide mode? I mean, ive been using this (I assume its random I never got it reliably reproduced) for my advantage for years now. There is some pride when you manage to bullshit blow up a plain apc with such a combo, but its a bug and probably should be fixed regardless.

16. Trickster

I could be wrong, but I always suspected that was animation related.

17. Candles

I think I remember that happening to me a few times, but I'm pretty certain it's an animation bug. When it happens, I still can't fire another RPG after I release the button until about the amount of time it takes for the RPG to reload passes. I can look into it though; it sounds like a possible race condition where it's checking if you're guiding the rocket before it's set the state of the rocket being guided.

I kinda' wish Empires had like a bug tracker in active use. I think I remember seeing one like over a year ago, but I don't think it's been in active use for a long time.

18. Z100000M

Z100000M Vithered Weteran

Nope, ever since i first noticed it in 2.12 or before, I can confirm that I can launch rockets before I should be able to. Sure, it still gives you the animation for the reload, but the point is that it shouldnt- you are still guiding the previous rpg.

Normally : Fire---->Guide---->Hit+Reload animation--->ready

Bug Fire--->Guide+reload---->ready again, even though the other rocket hasnt hit yet.

I actually dont remember if you can have 2 rockets out at the same time or if you can just skip relaoding animation right after the first one connects, but either way, you save several precious seconds.

19. Beerdude26

Beerdude26 OnThink(){ IsDownYet(); }

No, that's my area. You can always check on progress with the latest SVN build.

20. Candles

I spent about twenty minutes last night trying to reproduce it. Got it to happen twice so that I was actually guiding two rockets at the same time, but I can't reliably reproduce it. There most definitely might be a race condition happening; I noticed that if I release the LMB and press it down again fast enough, then the game'll act like nothing happened, so there might be something about letting go of the mouse button just long enough for it to start reloading the second rocket, but not long enough to stop guiding the first. At least, that'd be my best guess.