HL2.exe Crash =/

Discussion in 'Support' started by cl2yp71c, Dec 1, 2007.

1. cl2yp71c

cl2yp71c Member

Before bringing about my unfortunate situation, I would like to say that I am extremely excited to play this game.
    Installation was fine, then I ran it, had a problem with the MSS DLL(miles error), fixed that(inserted the mss32.dll into the source sdk folder), then ran it again, it showed the main picture and then automatically closed due to a HL2.exe error.

This is what I got from the event viewer:

"Faulting application hl2.exe, version 0.0.0.0, time stamp 0x4445c334, faulting module scenefilecache.dll, version 0.0.0.0, time stamp 0x4474ce19, exception code 0xc0000005, fault offset 0x00003e2c, process id 0x11e8, application start time 0x01c8346d80811542."

Any ideas?

Thx =)

edit: Btw, I also put the fixed HL2.exe file in the source sdk to replace the original...and still...no cigar.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2007
  2. Drewd

Drewd Member

Same for me.

3. rampantandroid

rampantandroid Member

System specs help.

4. Drewd

Drewd Member

5. Drewd

Drewd Member

Addint MDMP file from the latest crash as well

Attached Files:

6. cl2yp71c

cl2yp71c Member

As for me, here's my dxdiag.

Attached Files:

7. rampantandroid

rampantandroid Member

Ah, ok. You say you've tried some solutions - have you tried the fixed exe posted here:
    http://forums.empiresmod.com/showthread.php?t=3938
    ?

Also, can you look in Vista's event log for any error messages that might help some?

(For event log in Vista:

Start menu, search event. open event viewer. Expand the windows logs field, view the System logs. Look for errors and warnings that may be of help.

8. inK.

inK. Member

ok i'm having the sameish error on vista 64bit

i don't crash on startup tho, for me it can happen straight after my first spawn or it can happen 10 minutes in the game or 40min in the game :)

the dumpfile gets created but most of the time it's empty

i have a dual monitor setup and sound on board and i've had the crashes with and without the fixed hl2.exe (from rampantandroid)

dxdiag: dxdiag.zip
    minidump: http://users.skynet.be/inK./minidumps.zip
    some windows eventlog messages (dutch OS :( ): new2.txt (yea sorry bout filename :p)

i've also tried running it without steam overlay but that didn't help either

i also always crash on a mapchange or when i disconnect from a server and try to reconnect (or connect to another server) (the first line in new2.txt is the error that i get)

i've also had some engine errors, some runtime "virtual function call" errors but those are pretty rare

and sometimes my whole game starts to freeze (6fps, lots of choke/loss lots of packets getting send and received) eventho my cpu's aren't even at 70% and i still got 20% ish mem left
    screenshot of net_graph: http://users.skynet.be/inK./net_graph.jpg
    it's really unplayable and i need to start empires again
    this doesn't happen a lot tho

on average hl2 is using about 800mb of ram (according to taskmgr) when running empires

i guess thats about it :) do ask if you need more info

the times i can run empires for longer then 30min without crashing are rare but fun, here's hoping that it'll get fixed soon :cool:

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 2, 2007
  9. Drewd

Drewd Member

Yes I tried that exe, different DX levels, and setting resolution on startup. If you look at the first post in the thread the windows event log error is the same as there.

10. KindredPhantom

KindredPhantom Member

I have just had a hl2.exe crash occur.

Here is a copy of the mdmp file.

Attached Files:

11. rampantandroid

rampantandroid Member

Drewd - try setting no sound as a startup flag - see if playing with no sound helps any. I don't know the command off the top of my head right now though.

ink. - did you try the fixed EXE file I have posted in this forum (its stickied!) Also, please note that SLI in vista is questionable. Try turning SLI off and then try playing.

12. cl2yp71c

cl2yp71c Member

I've tried everything....grr

here's my .mdmp

Attached Files:

13. rampantandroid

rampantandroid Member

http://forums.empiresmod.com/showpost.php?p=97983&postcount=1

I added in some Vista patches for you to try out, see if you have those installed aleady. If not, then install them, try again...if so, then I'll compile ALL of the patches and driver versions I have installed on my system, see if there's any help there.

14. cl2yp71c

cl2yp71c Member

Thanks, but it still crashes.
    None of the fixes were installed because apparently they did not apply to my machine(I'm guessing, I downloaded them before)

Oh, this might or might not help: After I run the game, I see the picture of the soldier, the screen flashes, and I see the picture again, then it crashes.

Thx again :-)

15. erickek

erickek Member

Yeh overhere I had a

1.8 ghz AMD Athlon +2200
    Ati X700 Pro
    648 mb DDR Ram

but still receive crashes randomly~45 minutes

16. WillSWC

WillSWC Member

I have the same problem. I've tried the Vista patches (Running Vista, 2.4 Intel, 2GB Ram, 6800 Nvidia Graphics), the Fixed exe and the dx levels and none worked. Here are the most recent crash logs.

Attached Files:

17. KindredPhantom

KindredPhantom Member

I say we use one thread to deal with these crashes it will make it easier on the dev(s).

Another crash dump for whomever.

Attached Files:

18. Implant

Implant Member

Hi i get the same errors as ink where the game crashes on map change and also at random times throughout playing. I also see the picture of the man on load up flash to a black screen for a few secs then flash back.

I have tried the vista patch but i still get the errors. Ive tried reinstalling source sdk base and empires. none of this worked :(.

I am running the following system;
    amd athlon 6000+ x2
    2gb of 6400 ram
    nvidia 8800gts 640mb
    windows vista 64bit

19. erickek

erickek Member

lol, get windows xp...:D

20. Caelo

Caelo Member

Dude, you ingorant moron. Vista is fine, I bet you never even tried it.
    Also STFU if you don't have an answer

Implant: I have almost the same setup and am going to try and launch empires.. I'll post here if it works or not.
    *Edit* Actually I use 32bits but meh anyways.. No random crashes just a gigantic random lockup.
    I had to reboot my pc. I think it was because the server changed maps halfway through me loading :P

Last edited: Dec 4, 2007