Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by decemberscalm, Nov 17, 2007.

1. decemberscalm

decemberscalm Member

So I've been playing it non-stop sence I pre-ordered it. I beat the single player quickly on hardened and now I'm lvl 55 on online multiplayer on PC version.

I've been playing "search and destroy" and "headquarters" game modes on hardcore realism servers (the best way to play it ^^).

Who else has enjoyed/hated it?

So far I've loved it, but I have a few minor complaints.

All of the maps nerf snipers. The maps are all way too small. There is only one or two maps where snipers are useful, but only at one or two points in the map. CoD:UO had massive maps and vehicular combat, CoD2 went a bit smaller scale, and CoD4 has been the smallest.

Another complaint is the tactibility. Even on realism servers, half the game is rushing to spots and getting the first shot off at the key intersection points you need to control to win the match. I really wish they had a system that spawned you in different locations each round as the maps are not big enough to activate real tactics besides silly clan tactics CS style.

After burning myself off this game, I'll be back to empires and I think I'll go find my cod:uo cd's.

2. Sonata Arctica

Sonata Arctica Member

Rushing is a tactic :]. See "Blitzkrieg"

3. Mr. Weedy

Mr. Weedy I will report bugs on the bug tracker

CoD:UO for the win!!

Also CoD2 is nice.

4. ^Dee^

^Dee^ Former Super Moderator

Played the singleplayer. It was mostly fun but I don't like where they've taken certain things. Like how enemies constantly respawn until you move forward, grenades always landing directly at your feet no matter where you are (on the end of a helicopter blade) and enemies randomly gaining perfect accuracy.

I prefer cod 1 and 2 singleplayer :P

5. decemberscalm

decemberscalm Member

I got inspired and found my cod:uo discs. Than I realized I needed my cod1 discs to install it, which I realized I had no more. Just bought the cod war chest, its still downloading x.x... AGH can't wait to play it. Nothing beats resisting nazi charges in Bastogne and killing foes online in the town of Foy.

Anyone notice how each game they set the scale of battles smaller and smaller? CoD4 you've got a squad of 5 taking on 20 enemies at a time. On CoD2 you had a squad of 12 charging up a hill of 35 enemies. And on CoD:UO you had a whole stretched out line of infantry men taking on wave upon wave of troops storming through a valley to get to you. (Not to mention the russian slaughterfests x.x).

6. rampantandroid

rampantandroid Member

Level 55, jesus. Go get some sleep.

Awesome game, MP took some getting used to.

And explain to me how someone who jost popped around a corner can take ain and headshot someone crouched, not moving, aiming at their head. That is quite annoying...about half of the killes in CQB are total bullshit. Being able to select fire rate would have been nice too (Gee, G3 can only fire in single fire mode...)

7. Mr. Weedy

Mr. Weedy I will report bugs on the bug tracker

Rampantandroid.

Aimbot. Even CoD:UO suffered at it.

8. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

coming soon to an empires near you!

9. picard131

picard131 Member

CoD 5: Mortal Kombat

10. Carnifex

Carnifex Member

I HATE CoD4 !

CoD1 and CoD2 were so much better! Stupid modern weaponry crap. It's just another copy of AAO tbh...

I owned at CoD but now... stupid ranking system (*cough* BF rip-off *cough*)

The singleplayer sucked so much ass! The multiplayer sucks even more! that sums it all up.
    BOOO @ CoD4

11. rampantandroid

rampantandroid Member

COD2 suffered it for a while because it had no PB if I remember...COD4 has working PB, and while I think pretty lowly of PB these days, it does its job decently well.

Except AAO sucks these days. AAO just added vehicles, COD4 removed them. COD4 has a serious ranking system - AAO has a BS one that's just for stat whores, last I checked. AAO had a whole SOPMOD system, COD4 only allows a single mod (which is dumb IMO, but it does limit the power of a single gun, which is a good tradeoff...)

AAO has what...two game modes? 3 at most...COD4 has a plethora of modes...the list goes on. Its an evolved version of AAO - minus all of AAOs annoyances (for example, camping...something that is a bad idea in COD4, is all too common in AAO.)

I stopped playing AAO a while ago for some damn good gripes (gee, falling with the gun drop, increased lag issues, poor graphics, etc.)

The rank system makes you not own? The ranking system is mildly derivative...but that's it. Its a better version than BF2's system by a long shot, and more diverse and customizable than BF2142's version (and 2142's system is pretty damn good). COD instead gives you total freedom with what you take, and the perks are damn nice.

I don't see how you can like COD1 and 2 and hate 4. Go back and replay 1&2 - gameplay STYLE is the same. Look of the missions, and the guns are the only difference...and even so, the feel of the guns is...the same.

12. Carnifex

Carnifex Member

I don't see the point in using any sort of ranking system... I believe fps games should be based on skill, not ranking up.. go play an MMO if you wanna lvl up.

Actually.. CoD4 also only has a few game modes (official ones)

I agree with you on that, AAO sucks, but CoD4 sucks too.

I think you missed my point there, it's also because of my lacking english writing, sry for that. Those to things are seperate, I don't own at CoD4 and the ranking system sucks. 2 different things.

I have played CoD1 and 2 for a VERY long time now, and there is no way CoD4 feels the same as CoD1 or 2. The guns do not feel the same at all, the maps are way too big (too many access points) and there is no bottleneck for fighting, which was the case in 1 and 2. (so 2 or maybe 3 spots where the axis and allies would meet eachother almost every round)
    That is exactly what I liked about 1 and 2. CoD4 just seems so.. random and chaotic.

13. rampantandroid

rampantandroid Member

I think the reason rank systems came about was to keep people playing. The inevitable issue will be that when people hit the top...they don't see a drive to continue...and it becomes just another FPS. I can sorta see your opinion here, but of all the rank systems, this is the best...and I frankly don't mind it. Nonrelated, the ability to customize is really second to none. No plain vanilla classes to play, its all set to cater to each persons game style.

S&D, DM, TDM, HQ, VIP? Then throw in modes like hardcore, and the other ones that I cannot remember - you end up with a good few modes to change the way play works.

It was good around 2.4 - after that, it tanked. Maybe 3.0 will be good. I almost re DLed it...then looked and saw that even MOUT McKenna had lost popularity...with everyone massing into Bridge, and even so, there were only 200 people playing bridge. AAO has lost its momentum, due to many massive fuck ups on the dev's part, IMO.

Personally, having chokepoints makes for each round being the same. Run in, spray, die, repeat. No choke points opens the game for teamwork, free movement, and spontenaity - which I prefer. Perhaps why I hate district and Glycen for emp.

14. L3TUC3

L3TUC3 Member

AC130 level, biotch.

I finished the SP game and that's what we kept playing over and over.

15. rampantandroid

rampantandroid Member

Grumble.

So, SOMEHOW my game data got corrupted. Fucking Steam...I think in future I will just DL a install DVD of the game and install it that way, fuck steam...but anyway...

Steam wouldn't just re DL my files, NOOOO. It says I need more HD space. I guess 500 GB isn't enough. So I DL everything, game data, GCFs, ALL of the garbage. Re DL it...5 hours later...I start up. Create a new profile...wait, what? I just....type in my profile name. Oh shit! Look for my gun unlocks...WHAT UNLOCKS?!

Gun unlocks, ranks, skills - ALL stored locally. Uninstall the game, you lose it ALL. What. The. Fuck. Infinity Ward wins the award of dumbest fucks on the face of the EARTH.

16. Pope_Homeless_XIII

Pope_Homeless_XIII Member

Some lan place opened up nearby, & they gave me free 30 minute trail, so I used most of it playing CoD4... ehh it's alright but those CoD4 commercials are over exaggerating with their whole "Deepest FPS EVAR!!!" line. :p

17. decemberscalm

decemberscalm Member

What the hell? They shouldn't even call it a leveling system, more like a "you can't use this gun for a little bit of time". It takes no time at all to get the unlocks, and it doesn't even matter that much, you start with the m16 and quickly get the m4. Your set.

18. Shinzon

Shinzon Member

I enjoyed the single player missions; my favorite ones were the ones where they give you a sniper Rifle; there just something to be said about slaughtering horders of enemies from afar...

So my favorite mission was the one with the McGillian or whatever guy and you were trying to assasinate the dude....