Bioshock

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Gelnika, Aug 13, 2007.

1. dumpster_fox

dumpster_fox Member

Methinks this will be a divisive game...

2. Caelo

Caelo Member

My CPU has never been the same since :P My PC now randomly locksup every hour or so :D
    It is entirely my fault though, playing that game when the temps is 46 degrees @ idle :/ It must have gone to 65 on full load...

3. arklansman

arklansman Member

Minimum requirements call for an X1300.

4. Caelo

Caelo Member

With good reason because they use SM3.0 and not SM2.0.
    IMO it looks really good! I too did not notice the game was waiting for my input :P I thought the game was hanging, until ofcourse I too wiggled my mouse a bit :P

5. rampantandroid

rampantandroid Member

Yeah, they want SM3, SM4 for DX10, SM2 patch is out somewhere.

...Bioshock on my system...full settings, 1680x1050, DX10 enabled...

a good 45 FPS...don't have Fraps running so I don't have exact numbers...

Looks good, demo was too short, but reminded me of System Shock 2...in fact, I think I can summarize Bioshock as: System Shock 2's gameplay style with a new look and storyline...same feel. But, there seems to be more ammo in Bioshock (gee, I remember hacking so many vending machines in SS2 just for some ammo. And all those god damn shotguns off zombies that were jammed...)

I like it, seems like a good game.

Edit: Where's my anti-aliasing? Bah, doesn't matter...looks fine without it.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2007
  6. rampantandroid

rampantandroid Member

All the bleeding edge games are, really. Far Cry can still stress systems...

7. picard131

picard131 Member

The Bioshock demo didn't raep my system too hard on full, and as a game I liked it. Hell, I always like non-linear games. It was a few minutes before I had a nice system of activating the security, hacking the drones so I had a little fleet of floating security guards, and shocking each and every scumbag I came across so they were easy for the drones to take down. Only problem I had was that the demo barely showed me anything. I got 20 minutes of play out of it and the gist of the plot, but that's it. Hardly a hint as to the vast city that lay beyond. :/

8. rampantandroid

rampantandroid Member

DX10 vs DX9 for those who care:

Smooth fog/particle edges.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Close up on a lead in fog - DX10 has smooth edges
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Smooth shadows/detailed shadows
    [​IMG][​IMG]

High Res image (only linked for that reason)
    DX9
    DX10

Performance diff:
    [​IMG]

DX10 performance (Gee, the 2900XT really DOES suck that bad.) - Note, the NON DX10 cards in here are running in DX9. I guess they were added to to give a good comparison.
    [​IMG]

Overall, DX10 in Bioshock comes with no performance hit I notice, and has added detail...for not being a game designed for DX10 soley (as opposed to Crysis, which is DX10, with DX9 available) I'm impressed...and quite frankly, I think Bioshock should help to dispel the whole "8800 can't do DX10" crap flying around.

All screenies from here: http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/bioshock_directx10_performance

Last edited: Aug 26, 2007
  9. Gelnika

Gelnika Member

The full game has alot less ammo/other munition available than on the demo. You won't really find ammo/medkits on nearly every single corpse, nor will you get an Tommy gun (or incinerate) so early in the game. The devs just included lotsa goodies on the demo just to make it alot more comprehensive :)

10. rampantandroid

rampantandroid Member

What about the stuff that fuels your skills (sorry, I'd forgotten the terminology) - the blue syringes - how often do you get those? Are you forced to just whack stuck a lot early on (gee, now that is WAY to reminiscent of SS2.

11. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

is it gunna be as good on a 360 as on PC? aside from not having a mouse and such...

12. Pope_Homeless_XIII

Pope_Homeless_XIII Member

As far as I've heard the X360 & PC version are exactly the same except that X360 version has a simplified layout to make up for it's lack of buttons.

13. dumpster_fox

dumpster_fox Member

I really think you have to wait for a game designed solely for DX10 before you can say that.

14. Solokiller

Solokiller Member

15. rampantandroid

rampantandroid Member

I say Gabe Newell sucks ass. Why don't people have DX10? Well...lets see, it required OS changes, and didn't play nice with some old DX9 software (why you still install DX9 on Vista)...

I'd like to know how many people had 7X00 or 6X00 series videocards when they first came out...not that many. 8800 adoption is the same as any other videocard adoption. Crysis and other games will force DX10 down people's throats, and people may finally read about vista, and stop believing every post some fucktard makes about "Vista sucks" (even though that same fucktard has NEVER used it.)

Vista does NOT suck, DX10 thus far does NOT suck...not does the 8800. People aren't buying for a lack of games; as DX10 games flood the market, then people will switch.

@Dumpster: Yeah, but I think the improvements that Lost Planet is seeing in the latest patch, and the Unreal 3 engine handling DX10 fine are something of an indicator; again, Crysis will be the final test, I think.

16. dumpster_fox

dumpster_fox Member

...You get off lucky this time, Randroid. My retort seems to break the forums. It's probably can't handle the massive awesomeness of it.

17. Nitrax

Nitrax Member

Well I completed the game yesterday and it is absolutely mint. The only thing that stops this game from becoming the best damn game I've ever played is lack of coop multi-player, but is still ranks in the top 3 games I've played.

Story-line is the best I've seen, art and design is top notch, decent voice acting, decent AI, end boss could be a little harder though.

Although I am a little disturbed by the amount of people that got the evil ending.

Harlequin

18. Trid3nt

Trid3nt Member

CHAV! CHAV!

D/ling demo now. Thinking about buying depending on what happens now...

19. rampantandroid

rampantandroid Member

Only reason I hesitate to buy is the damn activation stuff. I mean, fuck, that is not a way to stop piracy!

20. Serivas

Serivas Member

I'll say this right now, I dislike Vista. Yes, I said it. Unless things start necessitating it, I'll stick with XP.

Yes, vista is probably the most advanced OS out there. Yes, the interface is really nice, I wish half the elements were incorporated into XP. And yes, Vista is really shiny!

However... I will not get vista because of whats under the surface. I've heard from various sources that there is no actual technical block preventing dx10 from being implemented on XP. If I remember correctly, way back when, you could still use dx9 on 98/ME/2000. Otherwise, I'm quite sure 5-7 worked just fine on any platform at the time. Come to think of it.... XP's release software contains DX8 software. But thats not why. Theres rampant amounts of DRM to protect the holy Content from the heathen Pirates. Vista requires that to use Content every single piece of equipment from the wire to the monitor to the circuit boards must have encryption or it blurs or disables you from seeing your legally purchased Content. Even with such equipment (which is pricey) it may STILL decide to disable your stuff if a driver is deemed "unsafe" or a little thing called a tilt bit is tripped. This is part of the reason, as DRM becomes more popular with larger companies, it starts intruding on the legal publics ability to use the Content. Some are transparent, which is fine, but some aren't. Another thing is: Vista is shiny! All the graphical goodness needs to be pushed from some component It'll cause drag on pretty much everything. I HAVE heard that this drag is little, which is cool. But I question if this is from people with top-of-the-line equipment, or more average equipment. I've seen this little old ladies laptop. 512mb, 1.4ghtz with the Vista basic shell. It took HOURS to do ANYTHING. even to open notebook, IE7 took longer. It took a VERY long time to shutdown! even more starting up! But I can guarantee you, after having similar equipment a while ago that I was using with xp, it ran just fine. It took a little bit of time to boot, and less to shut down, I had no complaints and it could play things just as well. So you can't say in all cases that Vista won't drag you down by a slim margin. This is the other part.

Sorry for the textwall, but I'm not good at writing and I have no idea where to put a line break for a new paragraph in that one. There is the whole "jobless and no income" thing I do have to worry about when getting upgrades, but my dad tends to get all the shiny. He even bought Vista Ultimate but never installed it. Maby its his way of making a statement? In anycase, to post on topic:

I've cought my dad in a good mood and he bought me a videocard that shouldn't exist :D. Its a Visiontek ATI Radeon HD 2400 AGP 8x. Yes, its the newest line of ATI's cards jurryrigged to an AGP slot. Add this to 1gb of ram and a cheapo AMD Semperon 2800 1.8ghtz and it actually runs bioshock at a tolerable framerate(surprise!). I love the intro of the game. The AI isn't half-bad either. It kinda reminds of of Deus Ex though, oddly enough. Probably the random items in garbage cans >.>. I do love it when I sit people on fire and watch them dive for a nearby pool of watter to where I electrify the shit out of them though.

(Oh, BTW, I say its a card that shouldn't be because ATI's drivers don't recognize it, and Visionteks website doesn't mention it at all. It's like it doesn't exist.)

P.S. You don't need to own Vista to know what it's like. You can go to a friends and use it there, you can talk to people you know, talk to the people at a local computer repair shop, read magazines, read articles, read blogs. If you go through the length of research before buying something, then deciding its not for you, that doesn't make you a hypocrite, or a flaming douche, it makes you an informed consumer. The reasons above are just a few perfectly reasonable reasons why people generally don't want vista. I've heard from the local repair shop that they get orders to remove vista for XP all the time, so that the stuff the people use will be compatible. Thats a similar issue with XP's release also and is perfectly normal.

(fanboy talking here... sooo sorry..: Even if Gabe said he loved dx10, he wouldn't develop for it because theres still a exceedingly small amount of people who can actually use it. So even in a business sense, dx10 sucks.)