Top Armor bug

Discussion in 'Support' started by arklansman, Apr 8, 2007.

1. arklansman

arklansman Member

I'm not sure if this is a bug or a "feature," but Solokiller said to report it so I am. :)

There is a spot on top of most of the tanks ( I can confirm the Light, BE APC/AFV, BE Med, and both Heavies) that is unarmored which allows a skilled/lucky grenadier to get a 1 hit kill with the mowtar, regardless of armor level.

2. Stu

Stu BehälterGott

I killed about 11 heavy tanks on crossroads last night with this. I've known about it for a while, thought it was a feature. :S

3. KILLX

KILLX Banned

My only comment is this: If this sets back 1.08 I will kill you!

4. MOOtant

MOOtant Member

It's a bug, 1 mowtar shot shouldn't kill tank just like that.

5. arklansman

arklansman Member

Kill Solokiller. Alone.
    (yes bad pun I know)

6. Awrethien

Awrethien Member

If its a bug cant see it beeing that hard to fix. Just extend the area the armor protects around the top. So long as all the vehicles have it its fair. Wait does the comm also have this hole in the armor?! If so maybe at least thange that.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2007
  7. Solokiller

Solokiller Member

I don't think this is a feature as i remember the armor was supposed to protect the top as well.

8. Stu

Stu BehälterGott

So which armor should protect the top then? Front or back? Or split it down the middle? Honestly, I don't think this should be changed.

9. Simon

Simon Banned

It actually seems to be right between the turret and the tank, or at least thats where I find I can get the 1 hit kill on LTs.

10. arklansman

arklansman Member

Yeah, it's pretty hard to hit, even if you're aiming for it.

Perhaps there could be a seperate top armor slot? I've also wondered how that would work for aircraft.

11. MOOtant

MOOtant Member

Dude, real tanks have armor on *top*, left, right, front, back. I don't think that anyone will not fix the bug just because you want to still get easy kills by mortar.

12. Shinzon

Shinzon Member

Easy kills? I would beg to differ; through my time playing Empires I only got that spot once...

Currently the top armor is assigned to the back armor unless im mistaken...

13. MOOtant

MOOtant Member

Or relatively easy kills. It doesn't make any real difference to tank driver.

14. Broccoli

Broccoli Member

I've never seen this happen, but if it does exist I kind of like it. Adds a certain risk to tank vs. infantry that the driver must take into account, particularly when ambushed from above.

As long as it's not possible to hit deliberately every time, then I think it should stay.

15. MOOtant

MOOtant Member

Risk?! If you didn't notice that part of the tank is armored. Do I need to repeat? And no, tank vs infantry shouldn't be fair.

16. KILLX

KILLX Banned

The hatch should be a weak spot that buckles under 2 mowtar/rocket hits no matter what, unless repaired. On tanks, the hatch usually is a weak spot because it cant be made bloody think and heavy, like the rest of the tank, due to the fact that wounded soldiers need to be able to open it and run if necessary.

17. Awrethien

Awrethien Member

Maybe add just one layer of armor by default so that its impossible to get a one shot kill but still has a vulnerability infantry can exploit.... I rather like the idea of a vulnerability that only infantry can use.

18. MOOtant

MOOtant Member

If it would take 2 shots in to the hatch to get med tank I could agree. But hatch must be like r=0.5m circle. Moreover mortar shot should count *only* where it directly hit. Currently splash range is 1m or more. Simpler solution: make damage on plate which is closest to spot that was hit.

19. Solokiller

Solokiller Member

And how would engineers crawl up there to repair it then? Unless you want the repair station to be used for it, making it an advantage to have it.

20. knighttemplar

knighttemplar Member

I thought this thread was about the best armour bug

but I honestly don't think this is a feature. It's not like the tracks have any vulnerability.