Overdue Update

Discussion in 'News' started by Krenzo, Mar 28, 2007.

1. grayclay88

grayclay88 Banned

I have a bench if you need it....

2. Krenzo

Krenzo Administrator

Stay on topic here. We're discussing the new weapon models and animations. Start a new thread if you want to discuss something else.

3. Solokiller

Solokiller Member

The Scout rifle looks like another WW2 weapon, i think it was the Kar 98K Sniper.

4. Darg

Darg Member

They probably took real life references, mixed and matched and then changed them a bit to give them a more futuristic look.

5. Damian

Damian Member

Katanna, as an artist before animator I know this, which is why allot of these things will be improved upon future or present updates, dont worry about it.

We are experienced developers ;)

6. Hikuso

Hikuso Member

well, going with the "BE germans - NF russians" feeling i've always had in me gut, where's the ppsh41? :)

*edit* Why the hell have i still got the CW stuff, i left damnit! */edit*

*edit2* For those of you who doesn't know what a ppsh41 is, it's an smg with a nice big drum magazine and a wicked fast rate of fire */edit2*

Last edited: Mar 30, 2007
  7. DonMegel

DonMegel Member

actually I drew out the NF scout during a middle eastern politics class a year ago. I wanted to make something bolt action but it rested onh my HD till a couple months ago when it was time for weapons revamp. If you saw the whole thing you'd see its not based on any rifle at all, its kind of odd looking. Duke did a great job with the textures though and ofcourse Damian brought it all ot life.

Yay team work!

8. katana9000

katana9000 Member

I have no doubt that any of you are experienced developers. Nor that it will be further improved in the future. Its only that not everyone has actually owned or fired weapons like these, and I wanted to offer some advice as to how they react when fired. Mine is however is quite a bit heavier looking than that NF one. I'm sure they wouldn't act exactly the same, but considering the caliber and the NF's lack of technology, I can assume they wouldn't be far off. Anyway on a positive note, I "love" the looks of all the models.

9. L3TUC3

L3TUC3 Member

Well, the most important part for me is that they act in a believable (not realistic) fashion in the game and so far it looks great. We can take liberties with that because of the game's fictional setting.

Empires =/= earth.

Even so, we value your input and keep it coming.

10. dizzyone

dizzyone I've been drinking, heavily

Something I tried to explain along time ago, is that you could use a lens/eye distortion where the the camera focuses on the 2 aim parts ontop of the gun.
    IMO the current ironsight look through is way too long, I know you can't do anything about this when using the same model, but it really should be more 2d, as when you look through a gun yourself the front part is crazy huge and out of focus, and the aiming thing on the barrel doe not appear to be so small.

11. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

could the specific parts that get most noticably seen in ironsight mod, (and will take up half the screen when you're using ironsight), be made a bit more detailed? well, this is specifically at the assault rifle with it's big H bit. the rest of the gun looks fine, but when you zoom in it looks less good than it did.

also, when you fire the assault rifle, isn't the little pin on the right meant to ping back after each shot? just checking.

12. Darg

Darg Member

With the way the ironsights are implemented (i.e. true 3D yay!) it would be hard to apply a blur mask to them as they wobble when moving and firing so the mask would have to be animated to exactly match the movement of the gun which would just be far too difficult to get right for one and far too resource expensive as well.

Unless Krenzo manages to implement depth range blurring in the next week or two i think we'll have to live with big sharp sights ;)

13. Solokiller

Solokiller Member

Why not add distance based parallax mapping? The parallax textures would blend in when the ironsights are turned on, and would allow more detail, while keeping polycount low and not pressuring lower end systems.

14. Darg

Darg Member

I believe in one or two mods have actually gotten parallax mapping to work in source. They might be willing to share though. Normal mapping would also work just as well at that range though. Parallax mapping starts to fail when you get in that close to it. Honestly I think we'll be too busy looking at the enemy to notice much of the sights ;)

15. Krenzo

Krenzo Administrator

Yeah, let's add some fancier graphical settings that will cause complaints from everyone still using GeForce MXs.

16. dizzyone

I knew you'd like the idea, even only from the -you coding it- perspective :D

Well I didn't ment it should have focus and all that, I was trying to emphasize the part where the ironsight should have less depth, or however you say it, i know nobody has any idea what im saying and it sounds stpuid, meh :p

17. Broccoli

Broccoli Member

I don't think any kind of blurring on ironsights is necessary. I would prefer them to be sharp so that I can bask in all their glorious details! Seriously, there's no depth of field effect anywhere else, so why should there be on the ironsights?

18. Gelnika

Gelnika Member

Woah, those anims looks pretty sweet, especially on the NF- weapon reloads. I'm not really diggin the BE SMG origins, but I can live with that.

The .50 cal needs more recoil, that thing was basicly still, which looks pretty iffy :(

19. dizzyone

because you hold the rifle infront of your eye, the blurring I mentioned is just one of the things that go with it, if I knew everyone was going to comment on that I would've just left it out.

It just looks wrong, and something probably very hard to get right, but there are definitly going to be people that are put off by ironsights as aiming is a huge thing for FPS players.

20. DonMegel

DonMegel Member

I love to hear from people who have actually used the sorts of things we only model and code. I do need to explain, however, that the NF .50 does not fire the BMG round that typical .50 rifles of our day fire but rather a smaller cartidge more akin to the .50 Beowulf round. The bullet is the same size but the powder load is smaller.

You are right however, the view model does need to kick back a bit more.