An empathical dissertation on why we are the way we are

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Neoony, Nov 23, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

And that is the problem.

Xyaminou, Neoony and w00kie like this.
  2. Xyaminou

Xyaminou Member

By creating a game you are also creating a community and you have to take responsibility for that community, you have to protect it.

You can't just think of yourself anymore.

Neoony likes this.
  3. MegaMLGgaming

MegaMLGgaming Member

Look, duke said what he had to say, we cant really hold him at gunpoint and force him. Its left up to the rest of keep it together and let duke do what he wants, i dont see the problem with one person not wanting to get involved in something. :rage:

4. Ranger

Ranger Member

Wait so we won't need the EMPs?

5. Neoony

Neoony Member

True

Although, he could very easily cover up a hole, which is gonna probably just get in the way later :P

And open holes dont stay empty for too long, people are gonna put all kinds of stuff in it xD

6. Neoony

Neoony Member

7. Xyaminou

Xyaminou Member

Duke said in the shoutbox he did not create this subreddit and has no ties to it. It looks like it has been created by Willvette who took it upon himself to name MrDie community manager. I'm not sure what the relation between Willvette and Duke is or if there is any.

I would not waste my time posting on a subreddit where MrDie is administrator, LT already got his post deleted. If this Willvette is not an some MrDie acolyte then he is equally as guilty as MrDie for giving him power.

Edit: If you're reading this don't forget to downvote all of MrDie's posts on this subreddit so they get buried.

TL;DR: Avoid the subreddit as much as possible it is filled with malicious people.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2017
    Neoony likes this.
  8. duke

duke Former Developer (BE Creator)

I value the community and take responsibility for it to some degree, but I don't see how some Newt Gingrich sounding Marxist should be causing all this angst, even after reading what I've read. He might have a screw loose but he shouldn't be ostracised - the community is small enough as it is.

9. duke

I gave permission for that subreddit to be started so it is to be considered official, yes. I've been pretty explicit about not dragging past horseshit into it so you should feel free to post there without drama.

10. Misfire

Misfire Always Lost

Here's a theory... Empires is it's own alternate universe.
    Each community member a character in this universe with a backstory that must be told. (like it or not)
    Each character has their own unique player stats, mission goals, allies/foes, and a light or dark alignment.
    Empires in itself is a quest, an epic story, an adventure that must be recorded.
    Mr.Die is simply the self appointed scribe recording the epic in his own way.

The methods are strange to us, but that's how it goes in most alternate universes.

11. Neoony

Neoony Member

@duke
    So...
    ...should I expect more newsletter like this?

[​IMG]

...from your moderators?

Thats some epic way to not drag past horseshit into it...

12. D.D.D. Destroyer

This "Newt Gingrich sounding Marxist" is in full control of all community forums directly tied to your project - the Steam group (which, coincidentally, has a name identical to the header text of the actual Empires community page) and the (barren, but still) subreddit. He's not a loony shouting obscenities from the sidelines. He is right in the middle of the project, able to directly affect community members by way of censoring and banning anything he doesn't like. He has a reputation for that, which we pointed out already. How this doesn't raise any alarms at your end is beyond me.

And yes he should be ostracized, nay, actively removed. Holding on to harmful individuals for the sake of a short term boost in numbers leads to an eventual but largely inevitable drop as core members are driven away. We've gone through this already, and some would argue we still are. If you want to grow a healthy community, driving this wedge right into the middle of the core audience is a direct opposite of what should be happening.

Neoony likes this.
  13. Neoony

Neoony Member

How is he worth all this shit?
    What does MrDie do to the people who so blatantly defend him?
    Does he somehow appeal on their ego?
    Does he pay them money?
    Or are they really so retarded?

How is he worth choosing him instead of the actual community?
    Thats quite a price to pay.
    For what?

Why in the 10+ years did he not contribute to the game in any other way than...what? 1 or 2 interviews??? (you can only guess his intentions for those)

WHAT??

D.D.D. Destroyer and Xyaminou like this.
  14. LordDz_2

LordDz_2 Strange things happens here

From moddb.com private messaging...

upload_2017-12-6_19-13-53.png

Is this the kind of guy you really want in control of your PR departement? There are plenty of other people on this earth, why do you want to choose the lunatic? I'm beyond words.

w00kie, Neoony and Xyaminou like this.
  15. Fooshi

Fooshi For fuck's sake Fooshi

He's been spamming me on Moddb since 2010. Report, ignore and move along.

16. bunnyhopper

bunnyhopper Member

Holy fucking hell...Just let it go.You don't want him here. You don't want to be part of "his reddit"..Just pretend it does not exist and move on.
    Also part of the reason people may defend him is maybe he isn't the problem. Yes he may be different. But is the witch hunt really necessary ?
    There is a reason the forums /servers are empty. It's not the developers or what ever excuse people want to use. It's the community and the way they treat people not part of the "small little clique". Example - Outcast.. that server alone brought a full server amount of people to the game. But since they did things a little different. Custom rules / custom scripts they was snubbed by the community, ddossed, and harrased until they left. Yet other people within the "small little clique" now basically do the same thing and it's the only populated server. You guys.."people" say you want the community to grow but treat outsiders like shit. Unless they remain silent and do things your way. Basically for the longest time you ether rode Trickster's dick or you was treated as a inferior person. Example - Emp_canyon. Map was too dark. Someone fixed it and made it sunny.
    Trickster wanted the new version to be official but didn't like the person who fixed it. So said had someone else do the same exact change to make it official.
    It's petty bullshit that is killing / killed this mod. How many banns got handed out for people trash talking Vicky over the years. But it's ok to keep slandering Mr.Die when he has no way of even defending what people are saying. Maybe that is one reason he reaches out to people on other sites. Besides his temp unban he has been banned from Empires forums "voluntarily" longer then most people have been part of this community but people still act as if he is the problem. My advise to Duke - Think of what kind of community you want your game to have. One where everyone is welcome or one where people not part of a "small little clique" are treated with hostility.
    `Final post ` Thank you Empires mod for the good times and thank you Developers for all your hard work. @ Duke - Best of luck

17. Ranger

Ranger Member

cringe

D.D.D. Destroyer and Neoony like this.
  18. duke

How is him censoring and banning any worse than his own banning in these forums? In any case I've heard shit thrown on both sides which is pretty damming, and I won't be cutting off contact with anyone unless they do something heinous. Now I've got a game to make.

As for the paying off and retard comment, wow what a community I should want to be a part of :sick:

19. D.D.D. Destroyer

@bunnyhopper O misinformation, how powerful a weapon are thee.

Are you seriously blind to the myriad examples we have been providing to answer this question or are you purposefully pulling everyone's leg? In stark contrast to that, two one-liners seem to have gotten under your skin quite easily, is offensive behavior only heinous when aimed at you?

Neoony likes this.
  20. duke

When it comes down to a question of supporting the community and some forced choice between supporting one person or another, yes i'll raise an example of said community's standards.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.