Empires (2?) Design Doc

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by duke, Aug 30, 2017.

1. duke

duke Former Developer (BE Creator)

2. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

There is probably going to be an IP rights conflict if this were to be a direct sequel, the best option would be to create a "spiritual successor" of sorts in order to avoid those.

Also, I believe the game should have an initial entry fee, much like Chivalry, Insurgency, NS2, and so on. It's easy to say it should be free, but that won't pay the bills.

3. duke

Me and Krenzo essentially own the IP so I don't think that's a problem.

D.D.D. Destroyer likes this.
  4. Xyaminou

Xyaminou Member

So this is a design document for a straight port of Empires onto another engine?

5. duke

Well , more than a straight port. It gives us the opportunity to rethink a lot of things, mainly to do with aesthetics and incorporating some plugins.

6. bunnyhopper

bunnyhopper Member

If you get to the point of doing this..Let me know.
    Pretty detailed knowledge of game development.
    Basic codding, level design, Modeling.

7. Xyaminou

Xyaminou Member

So, no change to the gameplay? I'm only asking to know if I should write my thoughts on gameplay mechanics improvements or if it will be a waste of time (because it has been in the past).

8. duke

Yes you should write your thoughts on gameplay mechanics, but if you're going to be salty if they're not adopted then maybe you don't have the right attitude.

9. duke

Also if anyone wants access, PM me your email address and i'll add you.

10. Xyaminou

Xyaminou Member

Well, for one, I'm salty no matter what.
    Jokes aside, I don't care if they're implemented or not. I care if they're considered and if they bring new ideas.

Access to what? the google document? or your project? I'm still not sure what it is you intend to do.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 2, 2017
  11. Kidpaler

Kidpaler Member

For the summoning players, I'd recommend instead of an instant teleport you place a beacon as squad leader. It works similar to kills spawning in current game. The beacon let's off a lot of smoke giving away position, your dead squad mates get "revived" by dropping in in a pod/pods from the sky/airdrop and if beacon is destroyed it stops. It allows you to summon but isn't op and stupid like squad reving where you magically teleport.

Edit: it will lead to a lot less rage and stupid shit. It's annoying when you are winning and you get rocket sniped because some squad leader snuck up on to a hill.

Xyaminou likes this.
  12. Xyaminou

Xyaminou Member

APCs' spawn point's behavior should also be changed to avoid having 20 people pull out of an APC going at full speed around your base.
    My idea was that for the spawn point to be active, the APC (or equivalent in the new Empires) would have to "anchor" in place (can't move) for the spawn point to be active.

13. Kidpaler

Kidpaler Member

Sorry to double post but make engineer less grunt class.

Give rifleman the ability to give ammo, make engineer have a heal and make scout an assault class. Give rifleman the sniper as well. Make scout heavily armored and an assault class meant for breaking through.

Reasoning: engineers right now are pretty much the only class needed. This needs fixed asap. They can take out an entire base by themselves with ammo box, but they can also heal, place turrets... Walls... Etc. It's op as fuck.

Give rifleman ammo. Makes them slightly less op and makes rifleman more needed. Rifleman would be necessary in a squad to prevent you from running out of ammo.

Make grenadier have a skill per round that he can buy to increase rocket damage. Maybe different types of rockets could be researched for him? Give him a ton of armor as well for anti tank?

Scout/assault - make it the infantry class meant to soak bullets. Give it a ton of armor and a cooking ability that you can toggle like tf2 for slight infiltration but have it run out rather quickly, especially if moving. This would make it so scout is useful rather than "scout on my team? Gg"

14. Xyaminou

Xyaminou Member

Not to mention build faster than any other class. But yeah for some reason Engineer is the one class with everything, I wonder why? Why neglect give so much to one class and neglect all the others?
    I don't really agree on making scout super resistant, it'd change its identity and play style completely, right now it's mobility, if you make it heavily armored it'd be the opposite.

Anyway, you guys are still thinking in term of classes, I think we should move on and remove classes...

15. Kidpaler

Kidpaler Member

Another thing: command variant of tanks for squad leads. Gives off an aura that does something at the cost of less damage. Visible by higher antennas/radar dishes.

Could improve damage, give off a very slight Regen, faster reload, more ammo, faster move speed, more health, etc.

Could also allow the command variant to get a birds eye view of the battle and give orders to his squad/people in the area so commander doesn't have to be as stressed if it is a big map.

16. Kidpaler

Kidpaler Member

That's kind of the point. It's useless now with it's mobility so something is wrong. You could give it an item to laser in a target where you have the commander place stationary artillery that will track to the scouts laser marker and strike it. Or have an airstrike come in. Something though because if you copy what it is now without some radical redo it's useless once again.

17. Xyaminou

Xyaminou Member

Well my thoughts concerning the scout is a surveillance and infiltration expert, meaning I'd give it the camera/radar the engineer currently have. Additionally you could imagine it having other surveillance gadgets such as drones that could target things from a bird's eye view, or a satellite uplink datapad that would give him eyes in the sky which would help him guide his squad. For the infiltration part it's a bit harder to balance, there's already a hide skill but the way it is right now is more of a defensive skill, changing it to be partially invisible while moving would already make it easier for scouts to infiltrate. You could also imagine thermal and movement sensor camouflages, or "lure" grenades that emit sounds or fake readings to distract the enemy. Smokes and flashbangs, and basically a wide array of gadgets to allow him to get close to the enemy and sabotage their installations.
    So basically you could play it as support or as frontline, or if you're very good, both?

18. TheLiberalElitist

TheLiberalElitist Member

For Naval could Submarines be considered?

19. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

Cleaned up off topic discussion and split Xya's design document into a separate thread. Please keep it civil and have this thread focused on duke's project.

20. duke

I've added a section on research, beginning with a short history of the tank and what we've learnt since the design of the first tank. This way I can make sure both sides are roughly equal and I don't use some WW2 inspired tank against a modern day inspired tank and there are obvious flaws that we just wouldn't design that way any more.

D.D.D. Destroyer likes this.