Roll the game back.

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Empty, Feb 25, 2017.

1. Thexa4

Thexa4 Developer Staff Member Moderator

There is no C++ code involved, only javascript and res files

2. urethra franklin

urethra franklin Member

C++ wasn't the problem I meant I've just never worked on a project other than home hobby shit.

3. vipervicki

vipervicki Member

thanks Thexa sounds a better and good plan.

4. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

Gotta start somewhere, it's not like you're committing your soul to Empires.

That's a separate agreement.

5. Paradox

Paradox I am a gigantic asshole who loses people's hard wo

Can we roll back yet? Empires tank combat has gone to shit with this new system.

6. Misfire

Misfire Always Lost

As someone who's only been about as useful as a mascot on dev team up until now, I've asked similar questions about this and tried to think of workable suggestions.
    The answer I'm more fully understanding as I come up to speed and begin finally make a few useful bug fixes is... it ain't that easy given the man hours available.
    As the project marches forward to update the code for future ports, and bugs are being uncovered, it's not an easy thing to drop it back to a previous version and carry on with another version's fixes and updates. I do think it's reasonable to have debates about what "new" stuff goes in at the same time as the rest of the mundane fix work, but that's only my one opinion.

One idea that came to mind was running a new version beta server along side the current version. It'd be great to put current version on pause and direct players to a beta box on a busy day. Get some good testing and feedback for additional fixes needed before a full release. This turns out to be more a problem with Valve/Steam. Both type servers can't be seen on the list at the same time. It would mean players would have to opt in to beta branch client for a day then switch back out to standard. Typically we can't get more that 6-10 vets on beta for a test after a week of begging. So expecting newer players to opt in and out of beta version or even know how to is a pipe dream. Because of this "testing gets done in prod" as we say. And once it's "prod", turning the ship around isn't likely because of the reason above.

I'm not trying to defend or defeat, just sharing what I know in hopes just some communications can help.

7. Xyaminou

Xyaminou Member

That's what I did last time.

Now I'm going to say it one last time... Why haven't you guys created an OFFICIAL steam group for testing?
    I keep hearing "oh we need more people to beta test" meanwhile I and many other people have asked for a tester's steam group and it's still not done. Why?
    Oh and if you want people to play the beta you need to put plugins and custom maps on your server. When I'm available we can use mine but it can't be the only one.

8. Misfire

Misfire Always Lost

You mean like .... http://steamcommunity.com/groups/EmpiresDedicatedtesters . When you ping some do answer, but not as many as you hope.

Setting up a server isn't the big deal. Players opting in and out of beta is. It's not that hard of course, but I've still had to walk friends though it over the phone. Expecting average steam players to just know how to is a stretch. Also plugins can interfere with testing new code fixes, so sometime plugin might be ok, others times not. One size doesn't fit all. And all of that falls back to "who has enough time". You know how much time one server can eat your time, now do two versions, or 3. And oh yeah, go fix code, play test.... now where did my real life just go? :/

9. Xyaminou

Xyaminou Member

I don't care which group you use. But if you don't tell people it exists, it's useless, and so far nobody knows it existed.

Yes it is, people are stupid, but if you put the instructions in the steam group event, they usually manage.

Enough with that bullshit I already wasted 3 hours of my life the other day proving to you guys that they don't I am not doing it again. Give me one instance where plugins caused a bug, or don't just repeat what thexa or tama put in your head.

You do realize I have made a github that you can download and copy onto your server so that installing plugin doesn't take your time, don't you?
    When I set-up the beta server last time it took me less than 5 minutes.

Again, I'm not saying the developers have to be the ones to setup a server. I am only saying you shouldn't expect me to be here every time.

10. Sgt.Security

Sgt.Security Member

What? In all past tests we did set up our own testing server. It's not taking much time, really.

I am also sure that nobody has ever begged you to set up a server.
    You basically just did that on your own. So I am not sure about the "expect me to be here every time."

No, nobody's expecting you to do anything.

In fact, after 2.13 beta testing, we had an internal discussion that future beta testing should happen on our own server, so the testing result is guaranteed to be accurate.

11. Neoony

Neoony Member

Would still prefer this way of notifications in groups https://forums.empiresmod.com/index.php?threads/unified-empires-notifications.19787/
    For the reasons mentioned in that thread.

The only real hassle would be getting people to subscribe to its forums.
    But it would be much much more efficient than notifications by "group events" / "announcements"

12. Xyaminou

Xyaminou Member

Well I did tell people in my steam group to subscribe to the forums/discussions but I doubt many people did.
    I agree steam group events suck.

13. Neoony

Neoony Member

Maybe it would be better if the group was only focused on that one way of doing it.
    And of course advertised properly...which is what I intended there :P

But yeah...maybe :P

14. Misfire

Misfire Always Lost

I'm sharing what I've experienced spending my own time and money in things empires. Surely you know me better than me though since it's "bullshit".
    Repeating myself from above..... setting up a server is no big deal. But there's more to it with different server and client versions flying around and the way steam publishes. If we can talk about improvements, great. If the format is rant an insult, not participating.

Clearly.

15. complete_

complete_ lamer

hey the game is pretty much dead. can we get a revert now? or at least a reason besides "coders don't revert"

16. Misfire

Misfire Always Lost

A year or two ago, if given the chance, I would have also voted "yes" on rollback/regroup.
    However now there have been so many bug fixes, exploit holes plugged and additions made that help things like sourcemod plugins and bots I'm tilting more to "nope" side.
    Agreed there are still annoying game play issues that need hashing out, but several of the things that are plaguing player count these days are not related to version number IMHO.

BTW, 6v6 going on right now, come help move it to 30

17. D.D.D. Destroyer

No seeders and no maps that fit the 0-6 players population bracket are the actual problems, not weapon stats or asset updates. It doesn't matter that your rifle kills a guy in one less shot or sounds funky when there is nobody to shoot at, either on the server or on your half of the map.

18. Misfire

Misfire Always Lost

I'm disagreeing a bit... when an engi can snipe with a pistol better at range than a rifleman with aim update, there's weapon stat problems. Unless these engies are running around with aimbot and that's still a problem.

19. D.D.D. Destroyer

Except they can't, because pistols have more spread and way less damage with only slightly worse first shot accuracy.

[​IMG]

20. complete_

complete_ lamer

i only know what my experience is and what others say ingame.
    i look in the changelog and see many many good changes (i can point them out easily) but there are huge codebase changes that fundementally change the way the game is played and its "issues" so to speak. an empires with the problems of something like a year ago is much more tolerable than it is now.

the development is moving at a snails pace even when the problems are very major, something that hasn't happened before. when there were major problems previously, there were multiple patches afterward to iron out issues. not so much now.

the mechanics/look/feel just feel so sluggish and weird that it isnt enjoyable to play. which is why im in favor of a revert