Make all of Empires use server-side script values

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Xyaminou, Aug 24, 2017.

1. Xyaminou

Xyaminou Member

One of the biggest problem when editing Empires scripts is that some of it will not be transmitted to the client, and some of it will be.

For example, I recently modified max ammo for the Scout's Sniper Rifle, and the clients did see it just fine.
    However if you modify most (if not all) things having to do with vehicle customization it will not be relayed to the client. The same is true for research.

In the end it will use the server's values, for example if you add cost to research, the client will not know but the server will still remove resources from your team.

so, why is it the case? And can it be fixed?

2. Thexa4

Thexa4 Developer Staff Member Moderator

We don't support script syncing between server and client. Script files are editable to ease development and will require manual syncing or the changes will have to be merged into the base game.

3. Xyaminou

Xyaminou Member

Well, you don't need to synchronize the script files, clients should ask the server for values.

4. Thexa4

Thexa4 Developer Staff Member Moderator

This is how newer code is written, but because we don't support non-standard servers we don't plan on rewriting the old code to have that behavior.

If you want to have influence on how the game works I suggest posting proposed changes in the feedback forum or creating git patches for review on https://git.empiresmod.com/empires_public/empires_scripts/

5. LordDz_2

LordDz_2 Strange things happens here

Going to be a weird mess if the servers have one batch of scripts and the game devs another.

6. Xyaminou

Xyaminou Member

Oh good telling me to do what I've already done, helpful.

Why would it be weird? have you never played any other game?
    Seriously, pick a game where people can have private servers, and you'll find most if not all of the server have modified versions of the game.

If the client uses the server's value, then it should display the server's value. This is the right way of coding it.
    I thought you guys were re-writing the code because you wanted to do it right, maybe I was wrong...

Last edited: Aug 25, 2017
  7. complete_

complete_ lamer

Yeah, because we all know how those new sounds got into the game; a guy created a feedback topic and created git patches for review..
    Oh wait, no he didn't: https://forums.empiresmod.com/index.php?threads/new-sounds-out-with-the-old.20567/
    Look at that broad community and developer support in that testing discussion forum (not)! Totally didn't massively lobby to get his stuff in!

Can we just be honest and say that annoying the developers in every place BUT the feedback forum gets your stuff in the game?
    Building limits and other stuff differ from game developer and server owners already. Not to mention plugins...

8. VulcanStorm

VulcanStorm Developer Staff Member Moderator

My take on this topic. If servers run their own scripts...

1) the game experience will be different on every server, confusing players and making it harder to learn the game or to practice and hone your skills.

2) any feedback for balancing, or feedback on the gameplay, is going to be significantly less useful if it comes from a player's experience on a server running custom scripts.

9. Xyaminou

Xyaminou Member

Not my problem.

10. Sgt.Security

Sgt.Security Member

No, for many games that allow people to set up private servers, people are still playing "mostly the same game" on those servers.
    Also, please exclude "sandbox games" from the discussion, I hope you are not talking about Factorio/Minecraft/Garry's mod.

As for non-sandbox games, the "difference" is mostly plugins and other server variables, like we already have.
    I have many live examples but I'll just use Counter-Strike.

You have $800 starting cash here, $2000 starting cash there, $16000 starting cash there.
    You can rtv here, you can execute your teammate for TK there.
    It's not easy to find two servers with exactly the same server variables and plugins.
    But your AK47 is the same AK47 on most of the servers.
    I don't have to explain the difference and WHY there is this difference.

Here's how I personally classify them.
    [​IMG]

Also, Empires is much more complicated.
    We are not League of Legends/Dota 2-ish complicated, but we are definitely on the complicated side.

If anyone ever has problems with the following things:
    1: The learning curve of Empires.
    2: The counter-intuitiveness of Empires.
    3: The "performance" of some players.
    The severity of the problems would go even higher if players have inconsistent experience on different servers. I am being really conservative with the word "higher".

I have already received a few (I am not going to fake it and say a lot) questions from regular players like "Security, did you do *fill any script related thing here*?". I asked the details and guess what? It's because of the custom scripts.

Cool.
    If it's our problem it's our problem.

VulcanStorm likes this.
  11. Xyaminou

Xyaminou Member

Battlefield Hardcore...