Latest UI Updates

Discussion in 'Art' started by Devourawr, Dec 7, 2016.

1. Devourawr

Devourawr Member

If there's one thing I've learned through those new squad icons and the crosshair it's don't use curves, ever. Source just resizes poorly.

So, basically what I want is input. On these questions specifically, but you all probably have more advice to give;

-how visible should a crosshair be (colour, width, length)
    -how close should it be to the 'real' crosshair (should it interlock with the 'real' crosshair when they're both pointing at the same target)
    -how visible should the black glow be (more means it's easier to see in different environments. downside is it begins to overshadow the red crosshair)

here's a dud example, but at least it means editing the crosshair is crazy simple It might even be possible to just add in a bunch and then let players choose what they want in the settings.

crosshairsml.png

2. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

Honestly I'd be totally okay with that dud of yours. Maybe try adding a little bit of transparency to it?

3. VulcanStorm

VulcanStorm Developer Staff Member Moderator

I like that style, and I agree with Destroyer about maybe some transparency... However I'm unsure about the blue, I'd prefer white.

On a different note, I wonder if we could change the crosshair colour dependent on the environment of the level. Similar to the camo on units and vehicles. That might help solve visibility issues?

4. complete_

complete_ lamer

i still dont understand what each crosshair does

if one is just for the center of the screen, then we dont need that one at all

5. VulcanStorm

VulcanStorm Developer Staff Member Moderator

AFAIK. The usual red crosshair is exactly as it was before, indicating where your barrel is looking. We have added one in the centre of the screen.

Because you can move your view out of where your tank can aim, the crosshair in the centre of the screen was added to give a better sense of how far out of the "aim zone" you are looking.

Also, since we have independent turret (and barrel) turning speed now... This crosshair in the centre of the screen gives you an idea of where you're looking, so you can know where your aim should end up once it catches up with your view.

I'm happy to discuss this further in a different thread :), don't want to derail this one.

D.D.D. Destroyer likes this.
  6. Devourawr

Devourawr Member

Going to start making and dumping examples. If you have literally any idea let me know quick and I'll make one and post a (low res) screenshot for you guys to chat about.

Here's the same one with a slightly larger size and 10% transparency - too much and it gets weird when you look at the sky.
    crosshairsml.png

My problem is that the square takes up too much space for such an important area to look at (the very middle of the screen) and distracts from the important thing - the actual crosshair. I'm going to start getting more minimalist here, bear with me.

A bit more basic. Simple white arrow, black glow, takes up very little space. Could change colour but not sure blue would go better, I think white works best for this sort of thing
    crosshairsml.png

Dot! It's just a dot with some black glow. Ignore the little lines, for some reason the converter handles alpha layers poorly, I could clean it up manually if people like the super minimalism.
    crosshairsml.png

Last edited: Jul 20, 2017
    Neoony likes this.
  7. complete_

complete_ lamer

thanks for the clarification. my opinion remains the same though
    i share the same opinion about the box. since this thing is probably never going away because people cant tell where the middle of the screen is, the arrow is best (dot is too small)

8. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

I still prefer the box as the other examples seem too small, but I can't really tell how any of them work in actual combat situations off of these small, cropped screenshots alone. I'd need to actually play with them a bit - some shooting, some driving, some tank duels.

9. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

If the dot ends up in the center if the crosshair when it all comes to rest I'd prefer that if it has to be there. It being hard to see is more of a boon then anything, because like complete I don't see the point and would prefer it being as unobtrusive as possible.