Integrate Mikleos plugin in the official version

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Paradox, Jun 20, 2017.

1. Paradox

Paradox I am a gigantic asshole who loses people's hard wo

Mikleos plugins are too fucking amazing to not be used on every server and have a controle settings menu.
    Integrate it into the official empires version please. These ones are a perfect quality of life function that shouldnt be left out;

1. Squad chat and squad voice chat ( MUST MUST MUST !!! )
    2. Comm chat that gives a little sound beep ( why did noone else think of this ever )
    3. HOME menu button gives a menu off different functions ( is so amazing I use it all the time )
    4. Squad print out

Devs if you want to actually do something big for the game and not get backlash this is it. Mikleos plugins are topnotch and very relevant. Get your shit together and get his shit into empires ASAP

2. Kidpaler

Kidpaler Member

*Disclaimer: I have little idea on how to code, most of this is from what I have heard regarding actual coders talking about Empires code which is apparently a total shitfest.

You know there is a lot of work to go from plugins to base game right? A plugin is much much much simpler to make as it just hooks in rather than affects actual code in game. A plugin put into the base game could require total re-writes of the systems currently in use which could take months. Not only that, and I don't know much at all in terms of coding so I'm mainly regurgitating what I've heard, it could make usage on servers shoot up in terms of bandwidth and hardware usage.

All in all, its not a simple addition. This could be looking at many months time to do it, not to mention no one is paid to do additions either. For it to go into the base game it has to have more polish to it, not just commands you type in. It needs to have buttons mapped to it and the UI made for it as well. I suggested surrender plugin be made into the base game and I believe it needed an actual UI interface for it to be implemented. So now it is requiring 2 people at least, something in short supply.

I'm fairly certain I recommended this a while back and was told this would require a total re-write of the current system, so it is not feasible. If I'm wrong or thinking of the incorrect thing, please correct me.

No idea how easy this is so I won't speak for it. It would probably need a different chat made for it so it would be visible, (I'd guess something like ARMA?), which could be a lot of work.

Fairly certain this would require a huge overhaul, so not feasible. Couple that with UI needed.

NO idea.

So, not get backlash. Right.

You know that most of the bugs recently have been from trying to update the code to be more modern and easier to work with? Most of what is done is refactoring the code. Imagine trying to throw this in there on top of that, on systems that haven't been re-written and are all over the place (What Vulcan, Thexa, and Smithy have all said). I imagine the bugs would be even more so than they are now. Couple this with it's not a simple addition, from what I've been told, and you're stuck with it's not going to happen barring the absolutely minuscule possibility that 100 more professional coders don't step up and want to help.

3. Paradox

You're not getting what Im saying, Im not saying lets code what mikleos plugin does into the system. Im saying make the plugins official as in every server has it wether they like it or not. And you can bind your own buttons in the controle settings for the plugin. Im not saying I want a dedicated empires squadchat , Im saying I want mikleos plugin to be part of the game.

4. Kidpaler

Kidpaler Member

No, I'm not.

For it to be put into the base game, or "included" into the base game as you put it, it still has to go through the same steps.

With the way you suggested: Mikleo has to sign the developer agreement, making him an official developer. Nothing is packaged without consent, and Mikleo made it clear he doesn't want to become a developer on a previous thread. Not only is this a lot of work, but I would 100% guarantee it wouldn't go in anywhere close to how it is where you have to type so much. That is just confusing for anyone coming in and having to memorize and learn all these commands.

With the way I suggested: It's a lot of work.

Not to mention that if you really want these plugins you should get them as a server owner. Don't try to subject other people to "your" fun. If someone doesn't want it, they shouldn't be forced. If your rebuttal to this is "Then they can just disable it", why have it enabled initially in the first place?

5. Avatarix

would be putting these plugins into server package a hard thing to do?

6. Paradox

Besides the fact that you just contradicted yourself with those first arguments in the first post you made and this one Im going to continue on the actual new issue you brought up which is the dev agreement. Well we're shit out of luck then.

To reply to your last paragraph, Im not subjecting anyone to my fun? These plugins are not about fun its pure quality of life changes. How do any of them give me more fun? Its just so much better than what we have.

7. Kidpaler

Kidpaler Member

Where did I contradict myself? I have read through both my points, had another person read it, and neither of us could find this "contradiction". I think I was pretty clear in both points/posts that it would take a lot of work for the development side, whether it be your version of its implementation or mine because in the end it is the same and wouldn't go in as a plugin packaged with the server.

Also, it is subjecting people to your fun. The game should come plain and people get plugins to improve the fun. That's the entire point of plugins.

Edit: You could bundle this all together and have it all working so another server owner, if they choose to, has a 1 click DL drag and drop to put it on their server instead of configuring it and setting it up,

Last edited: Jun 20, 2017
  8. Mikleo

Mikleo Member

I don't really think it should be official. Although I don't understand the reason why some servers choose to not run squad control. I kinda assumed everyone would want it.

As I have said before I would be very happy if any of the features made it into the game. Although given the current issues with the game I doubt it would be a priority.

I think the most likely candidates for this are:

The alert when you become squad leader.
    The sound when the commander uses team chat.

Yea the plugin is verbose because it has to be. That's the limitation of a plugin. Although tbh most features are easily accessible via the home menu.

My main concern right now is the upcoming patch which makes squad voice very awkward to set up and removes the home menu.

If I would ask for one thing it would be that on the controls menu 4 buttons were added.

Server Menu 1: servermenu1, Server Menu 2: servermenu2, Server Control 1:+servercontrol1, Server Control 2:+servercontrol2

It would be up to the server owners what these commands do. For example Server Menu 1 is default bound to home and could be used for the home menu in squad control, or another server could use it for something else.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2017
  9. Paradox

in your first post you talk about coding the plugin into the game
    " You know there is a lot of work to go from plugins to base game right? A plugin is much much much simpler to make as it just hooks in rather than affects actual code in game. A plugin put into the base game could require total re-writes of the systems currently in use which could take months. Not only that, and I don't know much at all in terms of coding so I'm mainly regurgitating what I've heard, it could make usage on servers shoot up in terms of bandwidth and hardware usage. " I wasnt talking about that to which I replied ship the plugins with the game, not as in put itin the game to which u agreed thus contradicting yourself.

Also its still not getting in the way of peoples fun , its like you're saying im trying to put turbo jeep to be official. How does quality of life changes have to do with fun. It sounds so stupid even saying it. Lets say the devs decide to put mikleos sounds when commander talks actually in the game. As in code it? Does it impeach on other peoples fun? or do I force my fun upon others ? fuck no, its litterally a function that helps everyone, has nothing to do with fun. A plugin and fun arent mutually inclusive or exclusive iduno why you act like it is.

You are talking about game and plain, a plugin that just adds a sound to commander doesnt make it unplain if u make it official. Like seriously do you not see how much shit you are talking out of your ass when you compare mikleos plugin to forcing your fun uppon others? especially when its quality of life changes that could potentially be an actual ingame function if we had a decent dev team with time

10. VulcanStorm

VulcanStorm Developer Staff Member Moderator

By "integrate with the official version" do you mean ship with the client? Or just with the dedicated server?

To run a sourcemod plugin it requires extra DLLs to be added to the config files for the game. It's called "sourcemod" for a reason, it modifies the source engine.

We don't bundle sourcemod with the base game. Simple as that, so plugins can't be included by default.

Furthermore, server owners should have total control over what is run on their server, enforcing plugins isn't (and shouldn't be) possible.

11. Paradox

I didnt know sourcemod was required with what ever. So that sucks. But just as a function and a tool mikleos plugins enhance the game so much that it could just be an official thing.
    I agree that server owners should have total controle over their server but something as small as playing a sound when commander talks could pretty much be in the base game and noone would think twice about it being a plugin or not. Mikleos plugin arent just fun to play plugins, they are so good and tailor to the empires context perfectly that, incase it was possible, shipping the plugins with the client or dedicated server or what ever wouldnt be inhibiting the controle of the server owners. It'd be the same as saying that the function "fsspace" should be controlable by server owners.