Empires League Game #1 3rd of june - 20:00 BST - 19:00 UTC - 13:00 PST - 16:00 EST

Discussion in 'Events' started by Spike, May 6, 2017.

Added to Calendar: 06/03/17
  1. Kidpaler

Kidpaler Member

You should have plans in place to expect more than you had. When I got in, and I got in late, the plan was already done. I was told "Go here" and thats what I did.

One team did do pre-game planning.

2. Xyaminou

Xyaminou Member

• This post has been edited by moderation. Please keep discussions civil.
    It only took a couple of minutes to explain the plan, as I already said.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2017
  3. Kidpaler

Kidpaler Member

Then why was it paused for 30 minutes... Player delegation surely wasn't the issue because that was for a short period of time towards the end right before we started.

Edit: At this point, I'm trying to figure out how it could be streamlined so people DON'T get so frustrated as I wasn't the only one complaining in the chat. In fact, I think all of Jekotia was upset and even some people on Brenodi.

It's also not JUST you. It's the whole thing.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2017
  4. Paradox

Paradox I am a gigantic asshole who loses people's hard wo

Unclear to anyone? He was insulting me with racist remarks. Not so unclear to me

5. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

My experience with roll calls is that you will always get 5-10 more players then actual responses of "I'll be there". So whenever you decide to make plans assume you have at least a full extra squad to work with.

Even still though, what I usually saw during planning phases, like hours or a day before the match, was usually trying to find the best ways to use the map, from fun things like learning how to drive an apc of midbridge's bridge without flipping over to just placing a building in some location that's rather difficult and doesn't even look possible. Once we learned what advantages we could gain from the map you only really need like 2 minutes to come up with any plan.

This is empires after all, it's not that complicated of a game and it's fast enough that things can change rather quickly, so generally the only plans you need to make is what the team does in the first 2-4 minutes and maybe a research path, that's it.

Kidpaler likes this.
  6. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

This is exactly what the problem is, and it's rather disruptive. Again, if we're going for a serious thing, we should show some level of commitment past randomly launching the game when the time is right. Otherwise we're doing a glorified PUG with a password on the server.

At a glance, planning literally is just that - squad go here, squad go there, we research this. If you want to go more in-depth, that's going to take much longer. And while preparing multiple contingency plans for whatever the playercount might actually wind up being is an option, it's a lot of time wasted.

7. Sgt.Security

Sgt.Security Member

As Lazybum kinda pointed out, I think I said it somewhere but anyway.

If I am studying Empires IRL, "The negative effect of Commander over-strategizing and micro-managing" would be my Ph.D thesis.

"Alpha squad go here, Bravo squad go there, Charlie squad support here", this is really all you need for pre-planning and it's probably the most effective way.

This is not goddamn League of Legends, this is Empires, in case you don't know the difference, we have 20 players on a team, not 5.

Here are the disadvantages of any pre-planning that requires more than 30 seconds to establish : It's confusing. You are wasting player's "effective time" by asking them to do this and that, instead of just letting squad leaders to improvise.
    And the most important one, there's like 99% chance that things will not go as your pre-planning.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2017
    D.D.D. Destroyer, Silk and Neoony like this.
  8. D.D.D. Destroyer

Definitely. At the same time, I'm not talking about drafting out a 30-step plan for every single player to be followed to the letter. The preplanning for our team looked very much like what Lazybum described, plus a 20+ minute discussion about whether focusing NF's main force on southeast was a good idea. A lot of time was spent looking around the map and sharing experiences and features between each other*, which is quite universal, but after that we quickly went over what could potentially go wrong and the almost guaranteed safe moves that were going to happen - building placements, research, potential flanks to look out for/exploit, so forth. Just like League of Legends has a standard item list depending on the played champion, Empires has a set of standard actions everyone performs depending on the played map and research path.

*That takes time to explain, and not everyone important attended our pre-planning. That's something to work on for next time, it'll help the overall play.

9. Kidpaler

Kidpaler Member

And that all could have been done before the round.

10. BigTeef

BigTeef Bootleg Headshot master

Why don't we just change organizers and randomize the teams and keep them that way for the rest of the league? Not every game, just randomize them right now and then keep with the results.
    Everyone has problems with the organizer right? I am too busy with work to do it but if people still want to leauge but change some major factors. Now is the time.

We can still do this and with two rounds of data. We know what to fix for the future games now.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2017
  11. Lawliet

Lawliet Member

To clarify, Spike is playing on Jekotian according to our informal agreement that if I were to command, he is to play on my team.

12. Xyaminou

Xyaminou Member

Too late to fire me, I already quit.

13. BigTeef

I wouldn't trust you to begin with if I am going to be honest.
    I don't think you would be able to do it without going completely fucking mental on people.

Kidpaler could do it, anyone who plays daily could do it actually. Except paradox.

14. D.D.D. Destroyer

Not everything, but a significant most of it yes for sure. Not that it matters though, looks like Brenodians have no leader figure for Saturday anyways.

15. Xyaminou

Xyaminou Member

Lol that is almost word for word what I told Spike when he asked me to be leader, then Flasche stepped in and said he'd handle all the administrative stuff as long as I'm on his team to do strategies and Empires stuff. So I thought that would work out nicely. Having 3 leaders was a good idea.
    Then the other 2 leaders disappeared and I was left all alone to deal with all the shit I didn't want to deal with.

And on top of all that, people decided the best thing to do after the fact is criticize everything that I've done for them, in this thread.

I am definitely not doing that again any time soon.

16. Kidpaler

Kidpaler Member

Just a heads up, the 3 leaders on each team was actually my idea back when I cared more. I said to spike that he should get 3 leaders per team so it reduces stress, to prevent people from getting burnt out, and so it's not an immediate catastrophe if one leader can't make it.

Should keep that for next year, if empires still lives on. That and a couple other great ideas to balance out the stress, ie everyone signs up in one group then captains pick so if it's stacked it is solely the captains fault and can be evened out. Also, should use the mmr for that.

Edit: 3 leaders per team did kind of fail..

17. BigTeef

I still say its salvageable. We should use next weekend to ask around to see if anyone is willing to attempt to organize.
    Like unless I get my nights back at work I would do this shit 100% but those guys are being cunts with my work schedule.

The imaginable happened. Nobody could predict the main, and runner up would of been MIA.
    Have 5 people next time. (lol)

18. D.D.D. Destroyer

Excuse me? I'm still here, hello?

19. Xyaminou

Xyaminou Member

Oh good, then you can do the attendance and babysit, have fun!

20. D.D.D. Destroyer

Except I'm busy with my life for the next three weeks and won't be present for the games.