emp_fury

Discussion in 'Mapping' started by Silk, May 1, 2017.

1. Silk

Silk Mapper

Sorry to disappoint but there's nothing different anyone can do with displacements. They're displacements, nothing more nothing less. This has to be an engine or game thing, not a mapping thing. When watching the fury match from 2 days ago, that was the first time in 10 years i heard of this problem at all. I've played vehicletraining hundreds of times from when it was a training map for CW and never had a vehicle getting stuck, nor saw anyone else getting stuck. I checked the spot were someone was getting stuck in fury in the vid but, as i knew it would be, it's ofcourse completely solid and it will not get me stuck. It couldn't. It's solid. These displacements are the same as any other, in any map, in any game on the source engine. There are no seams, holes, gaps or tears were that vehicle kept getting stuck. There are no entities or any sort of activity. There are no mapping or compile errors and especially fury is very well within all engine/compile limits.

There's nothing i can do to cause this, or to prevent it. It's nice people screenshotted it, but unfortunately it's of no use. Those locations are just as normal as any other.

I don't like it, but at least it's not something i'll have to look into ;)

2. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

You get stuck just north of NF's second flag on vehicletraining. It's not 100% reliable, but something about the displacements in that area causes this. I'd adjust them in that area a teeny tiny little bit so that they are different and hope for the best.

3. Kidpaler

Kidpaler Member

It's gotta be something you are doing. All your maps have this weird issue but no others do.

Chain has it. Vehicle Training has it. Fury has it. Perhaps something is off with displacements?

4. Silk

Silk Mapper

Sorry but no, displacements aren't a complicated system.
    If there's a problem with displacements, it isn't something i'll be able to avoid in the future, apart from not making maps. It really is that simple unfortunately.

Destroyer's advice is the only thing that could have an impact, in case this problem is simply caused by having an unperfect game engine. However than others would have the same problem. I for one never experienced these problems on any of my maps and don't actually think i'll ever run into it.

I can run/drive/slide over that specific terrain in fury without probs in RC2, that's all i can check on my side. Then again i've always been able to that everywhere as well.

Edit:
    As for vehicletraining, i'm 100% sure it didn't have these problems back in the days. I've played it so much, watched it so much and even recorded many games on it as the vehiclecombat was awesome to show to people to get new players. I've seen each and every square inch of the map being driven our many, many times and never did the displacements suddenly become unsolid.

Something in the past other than the map itself must have caused this.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2017