emp_fury

Discussion in 'Mapping' started by Silk, May 1, 2017.

1. Silk

Silk Mapper

I had a jet and heatwave combined ... 1 heat wave dropped fps from 299 tot 5 :s
    Jets only apparantly ...
    Well i say jet, but it's difficult to make the steam look like a jetstream so far.
    Not giving up though

Xyaminou likes this.
  2. Silk

Silk Mapper

I've been through the list of sounds, but didn't find anything i really like. I found some sounds that could be passable, but it's far from perfect tbh. I'm currently using the cannister thrust sound. Searched for a way to have bubbles bubbling up from the water as well, but no success there either.

Entities ... never been my thing

3. Kidpaler

Kidpaler Member

You should throw in some detail_props to get pushes/grasses in the game for some more infantry cover.

4. Silk

Silk Mapper

So many good earthquake sounds online, none of them free :(
    Well none of the good ones

Never heard of the site "pond5" before, but they have excellent earthquake sounds.

5. BigTeef

BigTeef Bootleg Headshot master

I liked the map, but brenodi needs more even ground for their starting base.
    I could barely fit the essential 4 buildings.
    Vf, Radar, Armory, Rax.

6. Silk

Silk Mapper

It's already increased a little bit in RC_2. Not enormously, but should allow for easier placement.
    Was the map on yesterday? With a decent amount of players?

7. PwnedYoAss

PwnedYoAss Member

Was on Friday with like 30? Felt like we didn't really fully tap the potential of the map. At least on my end, no one really used the center lava bridges nor did we really fight over the refineries as hard as we could have. First impressions though are good, the center is genuinely fun to fight in as infantry. Can't really give ya any usable criticism at the moment though. I noticed in our match no one really ran over the center lava bridges though. May just be due to inexperience with the map.

8. Silk

Silk Mapper

It's indeed a bit different from the average maps. The infantry center has as much income as the outer ring but at map start is much more important for resources as there's x6 res/sec to gain, while the outer ring only has x2 res/sec left. However the outer ring is were the base building happens and vehicle power gets unleashed, which is what wins the game. I'm hoping to see various tactical approaches from different commanders.

Glad you enjoyed the infantry area. Put quite a lot of work into that to try to make it a real fun battle area.

9. BigTeef

My team just fought on the outside, nobody really used the center except that one guy who tried to get a light tank passed the entire team to ninja me.
    He got fucked by my missile turrets and somebody killed spawn to deal with him. My team was yelling for armories when they were pushing spots in the middle but as you know.
    Unusable ground. I personally just want the map to be more flexible with building placements, not just the starting bases for teams.

10. Silk

Silk Mapper

I'm gonna need help with the resource system

So my goal is to add earthquakes to the map, which will cause jets of steam and some small rocks falling down. That i can do.
    However while the earth is rumbling and the jets of steam are shooting out, i want all refineries in the rocky center to generate much, much more resources. Since you can't adjust the value of the refineries during a game i'll have to use extra refineries outside of the map (invisible to the players) to achieve the same result. However I don't know how the enable/disable these outofmap refineries. The resource spot entities do have outputs for "onimpbuild" and "onnfbuild" however that seems to be about placing a ref, not actually finish building it. So unbuild refineries would suddenly generate massive amounts of resources during earthquakes. Or am i missing something?

I also haven't yet worked out how to spawn a ref, how to kill that ref on refinery destruction or earthquake ending, and to spawn again next time etc.

Xyaminou likes this.
  11. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

I'm positive that you can do off-map capture points with resource generation and a math_counter entity to sum up both conditions and trigger the extra income, but that will not benefit from the player multiplier. Hell, if you really wanted to, you could set up a few of those capture points with differing incomes and trigger the right ones depending on the playercount, but that's a big and probably unnecessary workaround. I'd have to mess about in hammer to see if I can come up with something with refineries.

12. Xyaminou

Xyaminou Member

King does it with the refineries, you could just decompile it and see how it does it? or would decompile break those things?

13. BigTeef

I kind of want a default 2 tick resources for teams so they can atleast get cash to place refs.

14. Silk

Silk Mapper

Usually stuff like that survives decompiles :) They should at least
    I'll check it out, never played king so don't know what he's done with it

15. Misfire

Misfire Always Lost

I've signed the developer's agreement so any of my stuff should technically be fine to use.
    I do need to get back to finishing the gibs for those sometime though. ;)

BTW, did you still need help on earth quake sounds? I'm sure I could help with that.

16. Misfire

Misfire Always Lost

There is a command to add resources to team, but I think it requires sv_cheats = 1. I wonder if that command could be accessed via a map function?

17. Silk

Silk Mapper

18. Xyaminou

Xyaminou Member

It doesn't require sv_cheats 1, so good call. It could help, but is it easier? because you'd have to also tap into the emp_sv_player_refinery_multiplier, then look for the amount of players in teams and only after that can you give the proper amount of resources.

19. Silk

Silk Mapper

I could use help from someone with a really old/bad pc to load RC2 of this map (i'll send it in private) go to the middle of the map and wait untill the rocks fall down, and check the lowest framerate you're getting ...
    Anyone here have a medieval pc?

20. Xyaminou

Xyaminou Member

@Silk fury seems to have the same bug as chain and vehicletraining where vehicles get stuck in the map in some areas, we need to figure out what you're doing differently.

[​IMG]