ERRORNAME

Discussion in 'Closed bugs' started by Xyaminou, May 22, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Xyaminou

Xyaminou Member

When a player quits or crashes it shows "ERRORNAME" instead of their names, it's been happening ever since 2.7 and still hasn't been fixed...

1. Spawn a bot
    2. Kick it

2. VulcanStorm

VulcanStorm Developer Staff Member Moderator

This is pure speculation. But probably because the name was never assigned? Or can't be linked to a steam client?

Or... If you kick them their player might be disconnected before their player is killed. So trying to get the name of a disconnected (or part way through being deleted) object may well result in an error. Hence errorname.

More speculation... How can they be kicked properly if they were never connected? I mean... Bots are simulated server side, so aren't connected like a standard player is, so funny behaviour is entirely possible.

End of speculation.
    We don't have proper bot support in empires yet.

The closest we have are "tutorial bots".However they require a map entity to spawn them correctly and aren't yet fully standalone.

Last edited: May 22, 2017
  3. Mikleo

Mikleo Member

I've seen this happen a lot to actual players. You see their death sign on the right with errorname next to it. They must have been assigned a name because they've spawned into the game. Then when they disconnect they are killed and an errorname on the death message.

Mr. X is talking about the basic bots: bot_add_nf in console, just used for testing purposes.

They are super useful for plugin developers because you can use sm_fexec on them to simulate other player commands.

He is more referring to a way to easily reproduce it though, it is not specific to bots and you see it a lot on multiplayer.

Xyaminou likes this.
  4. Xyaminou

Xyaminou Member

What mikleo said.

5. Sgt.Security

Sgt.Security Member

Can confirm that this has been going on for years.

I am not the one doing it so don't take my words, but I'd guess this would have to wait a while.

This is one of those bugs that : if we can press a button and have it fixed automatically, we'd do it because why not? But if it takes more than a couple of hours, then we got a lot more bigger things to fix.

6. Xyaminou

Xyaminou Member

Well it's been a year, how many more do you need?

7. Kidpaler

Kidpaler Member

*cough* volunteers *cough* not AAA development studio *cough* do this in their free time *cough*

8. Xyaminou

Xyaminou Member

*cough* fixing bugs before moving on to new stuff *cough*

see I can do it too.

9. Sgt.Security

Sgt.Security Member

Well no, this one is actually unimportant as hell.
    Bugs are not "first come first served".

On a more related subject, there are different ways to "fix it."
    1: Crash does not display death message.
    2: Crash does display death message with name, but only the teammate can see it.
    The other team should not know that you have lost players.

Honestly if you are asking for a "named global crash message", it's just transforming an improper thing into another improper thing.

10. Xyaminou

Xyaminou Member

Okay first of all I never said bug are first come first served, but you fix the bugs introduced by the last patch before releasing new content, development 101.

and yes it's "fixing a bug" because it wasn't doing it before 2.7.

Anyway I'm done arguing with people who don't know how to develop games.

11. Kidpaler

Kidpaler Member

*cough* Usually the new features are bug fixes, but with new stuff added in since the code had to be re-written anyway *cough* Look at second seat *cough*

Edit: When did you get a degree in any sort of game development to come in here and demand shit or tell anyone how stuff should be done?

12. Sgt.Security

Sgt.Security Member

I lost track, was this bug reported before? A discussion in server or anywhere that's not recorded doesn't count.
    All I know is that this bug has been there for years.

"If" no one has even reported it, well, there you see the importance.

We don't and never will have an advanced AI in our code that automatically says : "Oh hey look here's a bug."

Kidpaler likes this.
  13. Wired_4fun

Wired_4fun Member

Well X that's not development 101 (Not that you'd know, seeing as you sit in your room and bitch about Empires all day) but sometimes, other things are more important than fixing every single shitty little bug. This is especially true on a VOLUNTEER DEV TEAM, who through no reward other then the appreciation of the community (Ha yeah right), work on the game and make it better. So this shitty little bug that has nothing to do with gameplay or anything really for that matter, can stay on the backburner and it will not affect the game or the community in the slightest.

Kidpaler likes this.
  14. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

I regularly read patch notes for games like Warframe and Payday 2, which are very popular titles with thousands of players on at any point in time.

In every patch, they have a slew of fixes to bugs new, old, and ancient, coming out along with tweaks and new additions. They clearly are doing something right. Hell, I'd even say that Digital Extremes' dedication to regular new content, even if it's just a new gun or cosmetics, is a critical part of why Warframe is successful.

Focusing all resources on squashing minor issues like this one instead of developing new content along some bugfixing time would be a blunder.

Kidpaler and VulcanStorm like this.
  15. Smithy

Smithy Developer Staff Member Administrator

Think I've got this one fixed so I'm gonna move the thread, will be in an upcoming patch. It was caused by the calling of ChangeTeam() on reconnection which would force you to suicide before you were even alive. (Hence missing kill feed info).

Xyaminou and D.D.D. Destroyer like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.