NF Light Tank 2017

Discussion in 'Art' started by Misfire, May 19, 2017.

1. Misfire

Misfire Always Lost

On going work for the NF LT. Texturing I hope is nearing completion. But UV map and source model animation work still to go.

upload_2017-5-18_23-8-2.png

Vdragon likes this.
  2. PwnedYoAss

PwnedYoAss Member

If you can, could you post a turn table of this?

Xyaminou likes this.
  3. Xyaminou

Xyaminou Member

can you also post comparison images highlighting the difference between this and what we have in the game now?

4. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

The more vibrant color palette is nice. I hope it carries over into the game.

5. MartinPL

MartinPL Member

I still don't get it for what sake it have casted, small turret... Other than that, it is nice to be a little more colorful and remove useless mesh from side skirts.

6. MegaMLGgaming

MegaMLGgaming Member

Maybe eventually add a ML on the tank, instead of it coming from mid air.
    Just an idea. :gasmask:

7. D.D.D. Destroyer

There is a tube on the right side of the turret. It's a little obscured from this angle.

8. Misfire

Misfire Always Lost

Answering the list of comments.....
    Oddly Substance Painter doesn't have a turntable feature. (what's up with that devs?) But I posted a crud manual turntable video using my mouse.

Source Engine does flatten the color and details some, but it should be a noticable improvement.
    Hopefully it will look even better one day within source 2 or some other engine.

List of differences... Basically it's the same tank from all technical and most visual aspects, except.... I built this to be higher poly count with more texture resolution.
    To keep poly count from exploding though, I did reduce some of the extra gear from the body. I did leave most of the main hardware details that make it NF LT though.
    Removed items... mud flaps, coiled rope, saddle bag, a couple of the extra gas cans, 6 head lamps down to 2, (6 really?) and some side grab handles. (12 down to 4) and one of the 3 engine access hatches. (3 down to 2)
    Additions... Missle Turret with dummy missle loaded. @MegaMLGgaming, ha beat'cha to it ;)
    And a fancier main cannon.

Though I've made some tweaks, this is completely base on the original super high poly model from the Empire dev archive.
    Once ported to blender, the poly count for the original was 133,000 tris. No, that's not a typo.
    This model is around 10,000. The current in game model is a bit under 3000 if I recall.

It may look like I've added more hardware compared to the in-game model, but no. The in-game model had reduced poly count so much that many details were reduced to painted on colors and decals. This model just brings some of that back to it's original 3D form. How many knew the NF tank had a radiator and a shovel at the rear? I didn't until I got in to this project.

NF light is actually my most favorite vehicle in the whole game. I always drive it like I stole it and it rigged to explode. I'm always kind of sad when I have to leave it behind for a bigger tank later in the match. That's why it was the first item I wanted to try. I don't want to change it, just make it look better.

Changes.... There are still texture issue to finish and improve. I'll be open to suggestions on things but don't expect any more big changes. This thing has been months of learning and work. Not to mention the $$$ needed for the software. Even if not used in game, I'm getting a poster or 3D model out of this one way or another. :)

And by thunder I'm going to try really hard to have working headlight too for those dark maps!

upload_2017-5-19_21-25-4.png

9. Xyaminou

Xyaminou Member

Well, it looks great, I don't know what else to say.
    Any chance we can get camouflage on the cannon barrel and extra parts too?

I would LOVE to have headlights in Empires, there are not many dark maps but I think it would add a lot to those maps.

10. MegaMLGgaming

MegaMLGgaming Member

Amazing work.
    And a working headlight would be an interesting idea. Maybe how you press "G" ingame for the player flashlight, might be usable for the tank. Easy way to toggle it so you dont have it on all the time giving away your location.

Also, i would really like to see this model beat up. And by that i mean eventually adding destruction details to tanks from received DMG. But were a far cry away from that. For now this looks much better than the OG tank :3

11. complete_

complete_ lamer

i complimented the nf aircraft because it fit the current style but i dont necessarily see this as an improvement over what is currently there?

i'd love to see stuff more in line with the nf apc texture, if we're going in a new texture direction (i tried so desperately hard do get keef to redo the nf jeep and failed)

12. MegaMLGgaming

MegaMLGgaming Member

Hey, can we have a side by side comparison between the new nf and the old nf light?
    Would really help discussions :)

13. Misfire

Misfire Always Lost

@complete_
    You mentioned the jeep in the hoverjet thread but never answered my reply there.
    What would you like to redo about the jeep texture?

The APC texture? It uses the same basic texture as the the tanks.
    It does wash out more of the camouflage surface area with grey color than the tanks though.

For the tank and base texture... the goal was improving the level of detail, not to change them .
    So it wasn't my intent to take a new direction, just try an recreate the classic texture at 4k x 4k.
    I see a lot of nice models here from years past that never got past bare model stage for lack of a texture that matches the game.

14. D.D.D. Destroyer

The jeep texture is way too clean, even. It needs to have more pronounced details like rusted plating and rivets, as well as a slightly brighter color scheme.

15. Misfire

Misfire Always Lost

Here's a turntable view of the current NF light tank model body and turret. The way steam's viewer work, I have to show the body and turret separately one after the other.

16. Misfire

Misfire Always Lost

@D.D.D. Destroyer

Here's a similar view of the jeep. I can see the texture on the front wasn't really applied correctly, but surprisingly the paint job does have a lot of detail.
    If I gave it a redo, it would be some thing similar to light tank. Too bad the original model isn't around to use as a guide.

17. Xyaminou

Xyaminou Member

What's up with these videos? they're not working. Is youtube still processing?

18. MartinPL

MartinPL Member

Well this answers my question... so, what horrible things you need to do to get to that dev high poly repo? Because it would be easier to trying make fresh turret model for existing high poly model than trying to "remake" it.

19. Thexa4

Thexa4 Developer Staff Member Moderator

Send me a DM if you need access.

20. Misfire

Misfire Always Lost

Can anyone else see the vids? Should be accessible