Emp_Farm

Discussion in 'Mapping' started by Kidpaler, May 18, 2017.

1. Kidpaler

Kidpaler Member

Ever wanted to live that country bumpkin life and grow some corn? Ever thought, "Damn, I wish I could surround myself in corn right now"? Ever wanted to go to cornhub to look at some corn when you aren't in a cornfield?

Well, you are in luck.

GET YOUR CORN FETISH NEEDS RIGHT HERE IN EMPIRES WITH EMP_FARM!

Edit: Also, this map will crash until 2.14 is released this Saturday.

This map will be the "Commander Tutorial" map, so please help me extensively test for anything that looks OVERLY shit/is completely non-functional. I have also turned it into a commander map because it's a small pop map that I think has an interesting play style because it is 100% flat and has cover everywhere.

Features:
    An absolute metric shit ton of corn. You think I'm kidding as well but the jokes on you.

Fight in a corn field, build in the corn field, nuke the corn field. Do whatever you want in the cornfield and watch the corn disappear (When building buildings on it). Hide from tanks about to run you over in the corn field.

Unsure:
    Currently, I have 0 idea how this will play. So let me know after this Saturday's patch to fix an issue where detail_props cause crashing.

Low FPS? Let me know!

Some other thing I didn't think of? Let me know!

Want to complain about your corn fetish not being satisfied? Fuck off.

Let me know if I included all the appropriate models as well please.

Future of the map:
    As I have stated, this will be the commander tutorial map so I will be making it look much better for the future. However, for now, this will be good enough for me to rig up as a tutorial. I will go back over the tutorial maps to make them look better, but I'd rather have something functional out there rather than have the current tutorial which teaches someone how to build an armory and that's about it. If you find any game breaking bugs such as being unable to place a building somewhere, can't drive through this part, getting stuck on something, let me know immediately as I will fix it for the tutorial.

Download Here!

Some Screenshots!
    20170518033101_1.jpg 20170518033114_1.jpg 20170518033146_1.jpg

Disclaimer: Please do not edit this map without my permission. Thanks.

Last edited: May 18, 2017
  2. Silk

Silk Mapper

You've been putting quite a lot of work in this lately. Mapping in general i mean.
    How many mapping projects are you combining?

3. vipervicki

vipervicki Member

looks nice! dt :)

4. Kidpaler

Kidpaler Member

Whenever I map it usually doesn't take long. The longest part of this map was actually making the house, the kitchen in particular. It took about two hours, the rest of the map took about that much as well.

I have a few maps in progress, a couple are waiting for the NPC's to arrive since they have the NPC functionality but it's not on the release version yet. These maps are Forestattack so its no longer emp_runincircles, Trenchassault so it feels more intense, and landing so it also feels much more intense. Probably 5 maps?

Edit: Usually maps don't take me long at all. I usually go in with an idea and it comes out how I want or close enough and I just call it good.

5. Silk

Silk Mapper

I'm starting to hate you ...
    2 hours, that's how long i need to decide wether or not to start a map
    20 hours is what i need to get an idea of the layout and atmosphere i'd like to go for
    2 hours again to decide wether i still want to start a new map now that i know what i would want to make

6. Kidpaler

Kidpaler Member

Man you must really hate me if I told you I have lots of ideas just sitting on a back burner :p I have quite a few if you need any.

Most are simple displacement work as I try to not come up with ideas that have a lot of displacement work since, of course, I'm not as good as you on that front. I kind of suck at it really and if you look at my maps they all are rather simple in terms of terrain :/

Also for atmosphere, I just throw shit at the wall and hope it sticks. I try 3 generic ones that I do on each one, then if none of those work I just start mixing and matching stuff until it fits. Modular mapping I guess?

Edit: Theres also quite a few that I started and have the vmf's for but have maybe one or two buildings done. I usually scrap it after an hour of work if I don't like it or where it's going that quick and re-direct effort elsewhere.

7. Xyaminou

Xyaminou Member

Still waiting for Commander maps from you...

8. Kidpaler

Kidpaler Member

This is a commander map?

9. Silk

Silk Mapper

Haha i'm exactly the opposite :)
    I really suck at brushwork or entity stuff.
    Downfall = 100% displacements
    Fury = 100 % displacements
    Echelon .. the only thing that was close to getting finished were the displacements
    I was very satifsied with the brushwork though, at least for my lack of skills

If i do add brushwork, it's usually simple bunkers in the middle of displacements.
    Arid: 1 bridge and 2 small constructions if i remember correctly
    Bush: 2 bunkers
    Only exception is Chain, which was a pain to design

10. Xyaminou

Xyaminou Member

You two should work together on a commander map.

11. Kidpaler

Kidpaler Member

I like placing props and making buildings. Commander maps in the future will probably be city themed because I absolutely suck at displacements.

Edit: I am having trouble with Echelon though because it's just so massive and the scale of the buildings I will have to make is absolutely huge.

12. Silk

Silk Mapper

Well this way empires has both types of map. I'd NEVER EVER make a city map, so that's ideal.

And yeah X, we may not work on one map together, but there's a good chance we'll help eachother out from time to time.

13. VulcanStorm

VulcanStorm Developer Staff Member Moderator

@Kidpaler These corn fields are detail props right?

I'm sorry to say this, but...

This map will almost certainly crash client-side until the next patch. I would strongly recommend playing this map in private, and keeping it off public servers for now...

The next patch contains a fix for this crash.

14. Sgt.Security

Sgt.Security Member

Can you drop buildings on corn?

I think we discussed about "corn inside buildings" back when this map was just an idea on the paper.

15. Kidpaler

Kidpaler Member

Yea, in 2.13 props_details disappear when a building is placed on them. Currently, it crashes your game but in 2.14 it is suppose to be fixed and no longer crash.

Edit: The battlefield will, quite literally, transform to your buildings. Though they do grow back after the building is gone.

16. Silk

Silk Mapper

Wish that worked with boulders as well
    You could have a very nice infantry area, with loads of cover
    AND have buildingspace

Xyaminou likes this.
  17. Kidpaler

Kidpaler Member

It'd be worth a try. I don't know much on props_details, but you could try it.

18. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

Detail props serve only as masking, they aren't hard cover.

19. Thexa4

Thexa4 Developer Staff Member Moderator

Yes, you can have boulders as detail models. Unfortunately you can shoot through them so they don't provide anything other than visual cover. (If the enemy is too far away he won't see the boulder at all)

Detail models are meant to be used for things like small (30 cm) boulders, very thin trees, bushes, flowers etc

(If you need an entity that collides but hides when buildings are placed on top, send me a message)

Last edited: May 18, 2017
    Mikleo, Xyaminou, Silk and 1 other person like this.
  20. Kidpaler

Kidpaler Member

@Silk Once I get the Corn models LOD and one reduced to 1/16th the size, do you think you could do the skybox for this map?