Imperial AFV, Round Two

Discussion in 'Art' started by PwnedYoAss, May 10, 2017.

1. Kidpaler

Kidpaler Member

Can we please call it an Armored Fighting Ventilator?

2. Sgt.Security

Sgt.Security Member

No we call it Anal Frivolous Vehicle.

Anyway, as Thexa suggested, you might wanna put the wheels at the same places as our current AFV, to minimize unnecessary handling modification.

3. MartinPL

MartinPL Member

Okay for my own good i gonna ask you @PwnedYoAss i can quote your images when i gonna create a thread related to Empires vehicles? because i think for now it is best model to fix BE AFV one, still NF light tank is free to take (damn i really too slow to have participation in this fun hobbyist thing : | )

4. Kidpaler

Kidpaler Member

Just leaving this quote for anyone getting their hopes up.

5. PwnedYoAss

PwnedYoAss Member

Unfortunately the task at hand requires perfection, at least something close to it. If I were building an AFV for any random tank game I could arbitrarily design it. Add in details here and there for the sake of it looking cool. The problem is, is that anyone who makes a model for Empires has basically two options

1) Remake all of them
    2) Copy the style

I'm attempting #2, which means this AFV not only has to look cool, look like a plausible AFV, but also a plausible Brenodi vehicle. That's a fucking mess to deal with and that's mainly why I'm doing it. The last time I attempted this, it was with VESS who designed the whole thing and got close, but not close enough. Here.

[​IMG]

It looks pretty fucking cool, but man it has none of the design language that the other vehicles had. VESS mainly based it off of the command vehicle, which is works, but the wheels I arbitrarily made, and the turret was workshopped a few times without taking into consideration whether or not it looked Brenodi. So, either this is perfect or I rebuild every single vehicle model.

I realize. This is the community that thought Light Tank Mk2s were a good idea. Seriously what the fuck. Who the fuck thought that was a good enough of an idea to implement.

@Thexa4 .... how do vehicles define where the exit points are anyway? Is it done through the rig of the model, or is it something else? I'm all for adding tons of doors. But honestly, you can get into a tank at any angle, and so I'm not so sure it's priority number one to have parity between exit points and doors.

Yep, go ahead!

estratoscopia likes this.
  6. estratoscopia

estratoscopia Member

i like it

PwnedYoAss likes this.
  7. PwnedYoAss

PwnedYoAss Member

Yeah, I'm kinda hesitant to commit to going all the way with this thing. Like I said, if the design isn't perfect, there's kind of no point in putting in the game. It's noticeably shorter so it'll even out the imbalance between the Light Tank and AFV a little bit. Meh. I'ma keep tinkering. See where it goes.

Nah fuck that, it looking cool as shit comes first, functionality can come second. Besides, if it does end up being that shitty in-game I'll compromise later. Don't really want silly design constraints at this stage.

VulcanStorm likes this.
  8. Thexa4

Thexa4 Developer Staff Member Moderator

Each player position has a corresponding exit position. If your 'door' is blocked you exit through other 'doors' until there are no exits left, then you are stuck.

They are rigged using named attachments

9. PwnedYoAss

PwnedYoAss Member

Looking at the current BE AFV model, there doesn't appear to be any named attachments specifically for exits, so do you just add a displacement off of the base of the rig to determine an exit point?

10. Thexa4

Thexa4 Developer Staff Member Moderator

Are you sure? There is no fallback in the code for a model without exit attachments. The attachments are named: 'exit_pos_<seat>_<n>', where seat is the player number (starting from 1) and n is the nth exit for that seat. A seat can have a maximum of 8 exit attachments. If there are no attachments or none of the attachments are clear you cannot exit the vehicle.

11. PwnedYoAss

PwnedYoAss Member

I'm an idiot, I double checked yeah they're there.

12. PwnedYoAss

PwnedYoAss Member

Here's an updated turntable.
    https://webmshare.com/VJNKK

Here's a still.
    [​IMG]

Wheels got modified to look more like the AFV wheels... fixed the lugs, they were pentagons before for some reason. Added some railing, side doors, front I think is good. Still loads to do, haven't even gotten started on the suspension or the back door really.

13. Xyaminou

Xyaminou Member

Can't wait to troll people by saying "oh yeah this is modeled after an LAV, it's definitely amphibious. Look at its shape, of course it will float, try it out!".

estratoscopia likes this.
  14. Silk

Silk Mapper

OMG i would love an amphibious tank in empires. So many new types of map designs that could come from it!

Actually, do all vehicles stall in exactly the same amount of water, or can some traverse deeper water? Ah doesn't matter, even if there's a difference, the LT's would definitely stall first, and it's those i'd want to be able to take shortcuts through the water

15. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

Jeeps stall first, LTs are only slightly higher though. Speed helps fix the problem though, you don't outright stop while the engine is off although I believe brakes get toggled after a short while.

16. PwnedYoAss

PwnedYoAss Member

Here's an update.
    https://webmshare.com/OyV7b

Rear needs work, I think I need to start making what looks like armor plating on this thing; it's too damned flat.

17. Xyaminou

Xyaminou Member

That ladder on the side, is it designed to climb on top? Looks hard to climb and missing some bars to help you all the way up top.

18. PwnedYoAss

PwnedYoAss Member

Well, I wanted to add the remaining rungs but admittedly I'm not so sure that'd look great. Originally the wheels were out a bit more, so you theoretically could jump on the wheels while the thing is stationary, but yeah that doesn't make shit sense now.

19. Xyaminou

Xyaminou Member

Yeah, you know, just didn't feel very practical from a realistic point of view.

20. PwnedYoAss

PwnedYoAss Member

Was honestly thinking about nixing the ladder and door all together, and building in the AFV infantry cover swing out that isn't used in the game. If you know what I'm talking about.