Imperial AFV, Round Two

Discussion in 'Art' started by PwnedYoAss, May 10, 2017.

1. PwnedYoAss

PwnedYoAss Member

Hey guys, I got kind of.. nostalgic and built an AFV.

https://webmshare.com/play/vgABd

That's a turntable of it, here are some stills.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Notably, I got bored and went way too hard on the wheels. The wheel is about as accurate as I can get it, with the tire and rim being separate pieces. Even got the threading. The tread pattern on them is copied from the BE AFV/APC. They're fucking weird but it's distinctly Brenodi.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I based the design off of the LAV-600, which both lined up with the lore behind the BE AFV (They took the APC and outfitted it with a tank turret), and it looks fucking metal.

[​IMG]

It's still a work in progress, I think the body needs a lot of attention with the front end being kinda funky and honestly I'm not sure where to go with that, along with that I need to add in all the fun bits, like handles to grab onto, steps, engine vents, antenna, etc.

Devourawr, complete_, Neoony and 3 others like this.
  2. BigTeef

BigTeef Bootleg Headshot master

I want it on my desk next week Friday. (joke)
    I don't like how the apc and afv look almost identical.

Also, this is kind of a nitpick but it has bugged the shit out of me forever.
    Is it possible for you to add like a missile box to all the tanks?

So that tanks with ml slots, don't magically spawn missiles.
    Thus making sense for them to have missiles.

Last edited: May 10, 2017
  3. PwnedYoAss

PwnedYoAss Member

Not a nitpick at all. Was planning on adding those. Just need to figure out where to put them. If you look at the AFV turret there are those weird ammo boxes on the side, which I copied just to get the silhouette. Could turn those into missile boxes, but the problem is those are super off-center, and if I were to copy where missiles came from in-game it'd have to be really close to the cannon.

That doesn't give me many pretty options so I'ma work on that.

Xyaminou likes this.
  4. BigTeef

I think there was a discussion years ago on why the missile shooting out of the tank is in a weird spot for brenodi vehicles.

But I cannot remember why.
    Just shove the missile box on the right side of the cannon. It doesn't need to be perfect.

5. Thexa4

Thexa4 Developer Staff Member Moderator

If you want to save time on vehicle handling tweaking you can place the wheels in the same spot as the NF light tank. Then as long as you keep the wheel radius the same as well you can copy over the wheel parameters and center of mass and get roughly the same handling.

If you want to create unique handling, try to design the frame with real life physics in mind (long and high body means low turning speed / spinning out, low and wide means high maneuverability)

6. Kidpaler

Kidpaler Member

Just a thought, shouldn't you increase the turret a bit since you have it kind of hollow? Right now, the cannon breach is right where the guy would be in second seat meaning that you would have to have a loader. You either have to remove the hollowed out bit up top, or increase the length of the turret so it could accommodate the cannon breach and second seat. My suggestion is to take a bit more from the LAV, push the turret back on the body some more and increase the overall turret length to where it is now.

Also, I low how you incorporated the threading on the bolts, just like you told me.

One last note: Add a door on the back maybe? Perhaps a fuel barrel or jerry can attached to it to try to give it some more life?

7. PwnedYoAss

PwnedYoAss Member

Nah man this has to be PERFECT.

Here's an attempt.
    [​IMG]

8. Kidpaler

Kidpaler Member

wow.png

It's right in his balls by my estimation. I think for this tank we need to have a scream come from the person in second seat everytime it reloads.

9. PwnedYoAss

PwnedYoAss Member

Not sure if I have any intention on putting this in-game, but do we have the ability to simulate things such as an independent suspension, or a differential, or all wheel turning?

10. Neoony

Neoony Member

lol
    That is some serious inside of the box thinking
    xD

11. Thexa4

Each wheel has its own suspension and turning. I'm not sure about the differential, the wheels each have a parameter that indicates how much % of the engine output they get to turn the wheel, I'm not sure if they average the angular velocity.

12. PwnedYoAss

PwnedYoAss Member

Is that a constant percentage? Does it change based on turning angle? Because if not that would explain the strange understeery vehicles we've had for all these years.

13. PwnedYoAss

PwnedYoAss Member

For those who have no idea what I'm talking about, here's a video. The first 30 seconds explains the dilemma you have if both wheels on each side turned at the same rate.

14. Thexa4

I think a wheel is free to go faster than other wheels, the motor only adds torque, it doesn't prevent a wheel from turning. That should have almost the same effect as a differential.

For an overview of the things you can configure see this wiki page: https://wiki.empiresmod.com/VehicleHandlingScripts

15. BigTeef

The problem with perfect is that it never gets published because nothing is ever perfect.
    Just make it good, not perfect.

16. LordDz_2

LordDz_2 Strange things happens here

Oh and don't listen to what the people on the forums suggest, they're never happy.

D.D.D. Destroyer and flasche like this.
  17. complete_

complete_ lamer

what a beaut! im very happy with this!

we should change the name of the Armoured Frontal Vehicle to Hexa-Wheeled Armoured Destructor because we dont want people to think its just a vehicle for driving but something that destructs things

18. MartinPL

MartinPL Member

Well... i see that somebody already started idea of changing all the vehicles to more realistic approach (f-ck all those magical MG and ML).
    It look nice, but like kidpaler mentioned, combat space in turret is too small to give crew enough space to work, not even mentioning all Auto reloading mechanisms and ammo storage in turret if this vehicle have planed one.
    You say about being Perfect. I'm a perfectionist too and i see you ignore that issue a little to much > : D.
    It is great to see somebody have more skill than me and can do what i would love to see in Empires (Change all those ugly models to something more realistic... Seriously, MAUS sized AFV?? who f-cking idea is that?).
    Well, sh-t i planed to make a thread about nitpicking all units weird look and how annoying it is for me to see so small combat space for crew (background crew, not in-game one), it look somebody already is faster... :P

19. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

@complete_ It's an Armored Fighting Vehicle. That implies this is a vehicle that has some armor and is used for fighting, including destroying other things. But keep trying, maybe there is something that would benefit from a rename.

On topic:

I recommend not putting (the only) doors on the back, that would clearly imply that the way out of the vehicle is behind it, which is very frustrating when you are caught in the vehicle's retreat because you then can't move until it stops backing up, and that can take a while. NF mediums work this way and I've been caught up in them too often. So unless getting stuck in a vehicle gets removed, rear exits are best avoided.

Of course, you can just set the exit points on the sides of the vehicles, but then we run into the problem of magically pooping out people.

20. BigTeef

Oh not this naming shit again. Just let the man model in peace and leave the names alone.