Tropicvendetta bug investigation.

Discussion in 'Closed bugs' started by VulcanStorm, May 8, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VulcanStorm

VulcanStorm Developer Staff Member Moderator

Ok... There are many different crashes happening with empires. I can't easily debug these without running empires from visual studio, hence i need to reproduce these locally.
    I am not going to risk getting my steam account VAC banned for connecting to a public server from visual studio with a debugger attached.

However i was investigating 1 specific crash in detail, if you can get me another reproduceable bug, then i can look into that.

2. LordDz_2

LordDz_2 Strange things happens here

Considering that Empires is free and doesn't require you to own a game on to steam to work,
    you could just create a new account and use it to debug Empires.

3. Xyaminou

Xyaminou Member

So you're just gonna leave it on a version that crashes because "oh I can't track down the bugs because they're not reproduceable". Great.

complete_ likes this.
  4. VulcanStorm

Good idea.

On a side note: I've found more maps that exhibit similar behaviour.

EDIT: I just found the vmf for this map, i'll look into it further.

Last edited: May 9, 2017
  5. complete_

complete_ lamer

reverting is bad because somehow being able to realize when you've made a mistake is a bad personality trait

Paradox and Xyaminou like this.
  6. VulcanStorm

The idea is not to revert unless we have to.

Also, i may have just fixed this bug. Tropicvendetta should work now...

That doesn't mean the map is without errors though, it still has 2 particle systems outside the world bounds!

7. Sgt.Security

Sgt.Security Member

Looks to me it's equally (if not more) constructive to fix the problem itself than reverting.

Yes we've made a mistake somewhere and we are trying to fix it.

8. Paradox

Paradox I am a gigantic asshole who loses people's hard wo

The thing is, thats not what hes implying.
    What lamer is saying is, why not revert the game for the time being and you guys get on the fixing part. And when its fixed you re release. That way we get a non broken game, and you get your constructive problem fixing.

Lamer is saying its kinda dumb to keep the broken game and wait for you to fix it. Whilst its perfectly ok and smart even to revert and give you all the time you need to fix.
    If you keep it unfixed people will just complain until its fixed.

tldr dont strawman ma homie

9. Xyaminou

Xyaminou Member

And apparently game breaking crashes and bugs are not enough to make you "have to" revert. So I can't imagine a case where you will EVER revert.
    I am all for fixing the problem, BUT, until it's fixed, DON'T MAKE US PLAY A VERSION THAT IS BROKEN! REVERT!

I have played on dozens of early alphas of games, and whenever they release something that is THAT BROKEN, they roll it back, fix the crashes, and re-release it.
    That is how it's always be done that is what any man with even a lick of common sense would do. You can't expect to gain any respect from the community when you deliberately shoot us in the foot and say "oh it's okay" while we're bleeding out.
    (yes it's a terrible metaphor but since you don't seem to understand when I say it plainly we're down to metaphors now.)

10. Sgt.Security

Sgt.Security Member

It doesn't take us just 10 minutes to release a patch. (If you didn't know, now you know.)
    You have to revert things, release the patch and then release again when things are fixed.

For this bug, remove broken maps temporarily is far more efficient than reverting the patch, if you just don't want to see the problem. (and then devs can work on them)

VulcanStorm likes this.
  11. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

Reverting is not as simple as flipping a switch. Sadly, Steam doesn't support easily switching versions like that.

VulcanStorm likes this.
  12. Paradox

Paradox I am a gigantic asshole who loses people's hard wo

Then you as the dev team should make an official statement telling server owners to remove the maps?

13. Sgt.Security

Sgt.Security Member

We have.
    It's not like we have 20 server owners, Wired has removed the map, X is right here, Misfire is on the team.

VulcanStorm likes this.
  14. Xyaminou

Xyaminou Member

No, just no, don't tell me reverting takes you over an hour. I know it doesn't, I'm not gonna sacrifice half my maplist because you guys refuse to take an hour to revert.

Tracking down every map that has grass sprites and therefore a possibility of crashing would take longer than it takes you to revert.

Not to mention this is far from being the only game breaking bug, should I remind you about the vehicles falling through the map? should I remove vehicles as well? play infantry maps only?

Stop making us pay for YOUR mistakes, fucking hell.

15. VulcanStorm

We first have to find the exact cause of the crash, before we know what to revert...

If more people tested, we would have found these... :(

I found the bug i think:
    There was a code bug that would only happen in a very specific situation, i've submitted a fix for this, and it should be going live within a week.

Also, thread locked. It's going off topic.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.