emp_fury

Discussion in 'Mapping' started by Silk, May 1, 2017.

1. Silk

Silk Mapper

EDIT:
    RC1 RELEASED
    downloadlink: https://www.dropbox.com/s/wfgya33gw2irrnh/emp_fury_rc1.rar?dl=0

Minimap:
    emp_fury_rc1.jpg

ORIGINAL POST:

Release date (goal): june

Features (WIP - changes possible):
    - Near max mapsize
    - Regular empires commander map
    - Outer ring relatively open with mainly trees as cover
    - Center area infantry only except for a vehicle route going throught it from east to west
    - 8 resource spots, 4 of which have double income for a total of 12 res income. Half of them will be in the infantry only area

Current state:
    - The area around the lava pits is practically finished, which is 70% of all of the work that will go in this map
    - The remaining infantry only part is also getting along rather nicely as i'm not doing anything special with it: it's just low hills and rock cover
    - Work on the outer ring hasn't started, but shouldn't take too long either as this too will not be very detailed, just low hills and trees

Last edited: May 10, 2017
    VulcanStorm and Mikleo like this.
  2. Xyaminou

Xyaminou Member

Is there going to be a Point of Interest in the middle? something to fight over?

3. Mikleo

Mikleo Member

Just place some refinaries inside the lava holes with some stairs down the side and a walkway. So it's like mustafar.

Last edited: May 1, 2017
  4. Silk

Silk Mapper

There are currently no plans for that, but who knows.
    If i add a point of interest, it will something that doesn't require changing the displacements. A bridge with a ref on or something, not sure ...

Edit:
    What, my map already exists?

5. VulcanStorm

VulcanStorm Developer Staff Member Moderator

It looks great Silk! :D

Perhaps a capture point in the middle? Or some tunnels? It would be really cool to be able to go down some lava caverns...

edit: why not both? put a capture point down near the lava, and some tunnels leading underground to it. Although... maybe i'm just wishlisting

6. complete_

complete_ lamer

you dont need anything in middle. see mvalley. the middle wont be ignored

7. Silk

Silk Mapper

Well for a first release it's gonna remain plain simple as it is now because finishing a map is always the challenge for me.
    Then it depends on how it plays, and wether i'll still be around later to make changes if needed.

I'm quite certain the middle will be used, with half of the resources in the rocky area around the middle. However mvalley has the advantage of basebuilding in the center, while in this map buildings can't be placed there, but have to placed further out, so it's not impossible that a point of interest could be valuable, but we'll see how it turns out.

8. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

It's fine if people aren't fighting over middle for something tangible, they'll use it to get around the map. Considering both sides will use it fighting will happen there anyway, so it's going to see quite a bit of use I think.

9. Silk

Silk Mapper

That is my guess as well.
    It is the most detailed part of the map, but that doesn't mean it needs more traffic than the outer ring.

10. Silk

Silk Mapper

Forgot pretty much everything i ever learned from mapping, luckily most of it does come back rather quickly with some effort.

There's one thing though i clearly remember happening in the past as well, but i can't recall the cause of the problem or its solution:
    I have orexcluster trees in my map, not the static ones but the ones flagged as dynamic models, used with prop_dynamic entities. But the shadows are all weird and wrong, and disappear and reappear depending on the angle of your viewpoint.

Cause?

Also vvis takes 45 minutes ... this used to be shorter i think. Are there vis related things i might have forgotten to do?

11. Kidpaler

Kidpaler Member

Idk bout the shadows, but did you use nodraw in giant empty spaces and hint brushes in the sky? I did one on a map that took two hours to compile and it went down to 10 minutes. Probably not a good thing to do but... if it works it ain't stupid.

Edit: Don't those trees also work as "prop_static"? I don't think I've ever had an issue with them as prop_static.

Last edited: May 6, 2017
  12. Xyaminou

Xyaminou Member

emp_flat has the same problems with tree shadows, are you sure you solved the problem? And if you do find out how you did, can you fix it on flat too?

13. Silk

Silk Mapper

Well i certainly had it fixed in the past.
    Can't say if that holds true for flat, cause i never finished that map.

Yeah it can be static, but ... well ... that's kinda static imo ;-)

Also how could you check which areas get drawn ingame? some console command to check if vvis was doing it's job i think?

Xyaminou likes this.
  14. Silk

Silk Mapper

Well vvis now only takes 5 minutes instead of 45
    I hadn't covered the func_viscluster with the toolstrigger material.

15. LordDz_2

LordDz_2 Strange things happens here

45 minutes without a func_viscluster?
    My func_detail sensor is overloading! Needs more func_detail!!

16. Silk

Silk Mapper

Actually the map doesn't have a single brush :-D
    ... unless maybe the lava pits ... so at most 2 brushes
    Everything else is displacements ^_^

That said glad you replied, cause untill i read your post i had forgotten all about func_detail.

17. LordDz_2

LordDz_2 Strange things happens here

Put nodraw brushes under the displacements, speeds up the process a lot.
    Empty space = More time calculating! + More stuff rendered since displacements don't block vvis.

18. Silk

Silk Mapper

19. BigTeef

BigTeef Bootleg Headshot master

Nice and flat.
    I like it

Uneven terrain and fighting the game to get a fucking building down is cancer.

Last edited: May 8, 2017
  20. Silk

Silk Mapper

RC1 is now ONLINE: https://www.dropbox.com/s/wfgya33gw2irrnh/emp_fury_rc1.rar?dl=0

A minimap image has been added to the first post of this topic

It's been a long time since my last map, i can almost guarantee i've made mistakes gathering all files. If so, do tell.
    Also, feel free to report floating trees, clipping problems, missing textures, missing models, ... etc

I'm assuming the tanktraps made for echelon by misfire are stock empires models by now so they're not included. Do tell if i assumed wrong

Last edited: May 10, 2017