[Need Feedback]Turret Rotation

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Kidpaler, Apr 3, 2017.

1. Spike

Spike Long Live The King!

I think the the game is fine without adding turret rotation speeds the game is perfectly ok without it, ive never minded the fact that empires isn't realistic in that way. I can understand when games like war thunder or battlefield have it in there games but i just don't really see it being successful in empires. Please do not add this into the game empires is by no means realistic the way the turrets work currently are fine i quite like it. I don't really know of anyone who has ever really complained about how to tank turrets work in empires at least i haven't.

If this change is implemented into empires people who have been playing awhile will most likely quit i know i would. We really do not need this. So its a no from me.

2. Avatarix

That's for you, a single representative of a whole team (who doesn't even lead it, and are in it for long time).
    And it doesn't matter how many people you asked, because it has been probably decided already.

Well spoik, haven't you read many many others threads about balancing the armour gameplay with this idea?
    And the second one was and will be said many times (they will keep playing). And who are these people?

3. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

Of course not all that time was spent actively playing like a regular player. Still, part of it was. I have personally seen at everyone mentioned play at least two full rounds. It's safe to say there were more that I wasn't privy to. And "sitting in spec" is also a way of playing the game. Not everyone uses the spectator team as an AFK room or pure chatting experience, people also watch others' gameplay. It can giveyou a completely different perspective on things, which helps with recognising different approaches to the game.

Edit for the edit: Just because you don't see us asking questions doesn't mean we don't ask questions. As you noted yourself, there's a divide between the forumgoers and other parts of the community. The other parts simply communicate in private.

4. Kidpaler

Kidpaler Member

First off, I think you should just TRY it during the beta.

Secondly, it won't be this slow if you read. It's meant to be a slight limiter to prevent you from moving at the speed of light.

Thirdly, it might actually HELP new people to see a tank that is similar to other tank games. They could get the feel for it much quicker rather than having to constantly be spinning their turret to fight.

If you had read the post at all, this was more of a "need feedback come test", so again I would say at least test it before you hate it considering the new speeds are similar to what it is now, there's just a hard limit so it isn't nearly as fast.

So, if one person comes forward on behalf of everyone asking and trying to get feedback that doesn't please you? Would you rather go back to the days of no communication at all? If that is the case, I will stop and take a little bit of stress out of my life if you don't want any communication at all. It seems like nothing can please you guys.

Edit: Efforts are being made to try to improve the communication, can't you at least be grateful about that?

5. Spike

Spike Long Live The King!

Im just giving my option on it.

6. Neoony

Neoony Member

Considering that you wont lose awareness by still being able to look around, which was my main problem why not have turret speed limit.
    And it even seems to make second seat more enjoyable and less suicidal.

I like the fact that you could make different chassis have different characteristics with turret speed and their recoil.
    So its all interesting.
    And I would love to see what difference would that make in tank fights.
    It might actually be interesting after all...

But I would really have to try myself to see how it feels. To really say any more :P
    So it would be cool to get some proper test/try for this :)

oh yeah and not sure what to think about that HATC, it does indeed sounds like a joke xD
    Maybe you should better keep those separate :P

flasche likes this.
  7. Kidpaler

Kidpaler Member

the HATC is a joke. It's the artillery tank with the barrel pointing backwards and to the right.

As for trying it, I ask everyone here to try it. At the speeds I demonstrated in the video, it definitely is interesting but the scripts would have to be redone (the damage values) at that speed to make each hit count. I have to say, it was fun and new but there were present problems that will hopefully be ironed out. Again, it wouldn't be at that speed if/when it gets implemented.

Perhaps multiple tests at different speeds just to see what people think, not for what should go into the actual game but just to let people see what they are like and how they perform.

8. Avatarix

I don't know just why are YOU commited to this ok???????
    And as I said before, ask BEFORE rather than AFTER (that's for dev team in whole).
    Also thanks for improving communication, sending much love <3 <3 <3

9. Kidpaler

Kidpaler Member

This system, if they implement turn speeds or not, at least fixes the second seat. There really isn't communication needed in regards to this as it is primarily a bug fix with a side value thrown in that can, or can not, be used. It's not mandatory, it's all done via scripts and can be edited at a whim.

10. Avatarix

Can we maybe get like, a giant poll about that? Posted visibly on forums, steam groups, memehouse server? Get feedback?

11. Kidpaler

Kidpaler Member

*makes thread specifically asking for feedback, messages many empires players asking for their feedback with a direct link to the video, records down suggestions/opinions on it*

"Get feedback?"

... what more do you want dude?

12. Avatarix

???

13. Kidpaler

Kidpaler Member

And what is there to poll exactly? No one has tried it, no one knows how it plays. You can't poll people on "do you like this" if no one has tried it, not to mention how it is changeable in scripts and the first rendition of it according to security won't be changing much at all. A poll isn't going to help anything really.

14. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

I like buffs to me, it's fun. In war thunder it was super easy to just move the tank to aim instead of actually moving the turret to aim. Especially with the light tanks, they drift everywhere just like empire tanks, great fun.

Like a lot of people said putting limits on turret rotation like in that video would make empires feel less arcadey, and for me that is half the appeal of empires, it's arcadey goodness. Even if was half of what was shown in that video it's still going to be felt like a limit on that intense action that kinda makes empires empires.

If security just puts the limit to barely noticeable that's fine I suppose, but I do see this to kinda keep going because the ability to balance heavy vs lights with it is super tempting. Something I was kinda in favor of, and still am because honestly at least there's still lights with super fast turret rotation, though if it was made actually noticable like in war thunder I would be severely disappointed.

In any case changes can be fun, so I would like to see it in action before I really made any comments.

Kidpaler likes this.
  15. complete_

complete_ lamer

i can never get behind making the vehicle turret slower to move. the whole point of empires is the fast arcade-y feel. i dont need vehicles to be slow and bulky and i dont need the infantry to lug around and turn slowly because its more "realistic." making it "barely noticeable" is either pointless (if it is indeed barely noticeable) or understating (because stuff like turning speed when you're using your mouse is noticeable)

there are enough games that do this, i dont play them for a reason. the way empires moves is pretty much the "core" of the game (not the commander role)

16. Señor_Awesome

Señor_Awesome Member

I'm a little late to comment on this, even despite getting a direct message about it (D: sorry man)

I think it would be interesting to give a try but I dunno... any changes to vehicles will be hard for me to adapt to considering how much second nature it is at this point. Would be nice to not see some of the more stupid things, such as players who do the quick 180 spin-and-fire on cannons for increased speed.

This is one of those things I've heard people talk about how Empires needs for a long time but in reality is a huge gamble on whether the end result will still be fun or not (not like the game's any fun to begin with, haha) and would change balance tremendously.

What Lazybum said about limiting rotation more on Heavies vs Lights as a balancing mechanic was also one of the main motivators in the past for this suggestion.

My verdict: Maybe. Could be good, could be garbage. Requires testing to see.

17. Sgt.Security

Sgt.Security Member

Okay, since multiple people have brought it up, I think it's good to make things clear.

1: Balancing heavies & LTs would take much more than a simple turret rotation limit.
    You don't just limit heavy tank turret rotation and boom, suddenly LTs are on par with heavy tanks.

2: Creating a friendly environment for LT in late game...is pretty impossible under current game mechanics.
    You can't balance heavies & LTs without touching the usefulness of LTs in late game.

If I drop heavy tank's rotation speed to something like 30 degrees per sec, looks to me it's just dropping heavy tank's turret rotation speed, that's all.
    We are turning LT into an annoying mosquito (and only on open maps) that can't really do anything at all.
    We are turning heavy tank into a 80 years old grandma with an AK47.

To me, we are ruining the game for both parties.

So no, I personally don't view this as a cure for "balancing heavies and lights".
    But I am not despising it because I also view this as a cure for "supernatural turret movement" and related exploits.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2017
  18. Paradox

Paradox I am a gigantic asshole who loses people's hard wo

Why do light tanks even need a late game utility. Its a fucking light tank...

We dont need to balance out heavy vs lighttank lol.

If any dev is doing that they need to step the fuck down and reevaluate what empires is.

19. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

Light tanks are just armored jeeps with somę self-defence capabilities. For transporting and safety, they already perform well enough. They have less firepower and will lose to a heavy tank in most circumstances, but this is expected amd fair.

20. Sgt.Security

Sgt.Security Member

I think I've talked about this before.
    LT does not have the power to close a game, like, far from it.
    In any other tank warfare games LT is useful because....there's only tanks.

If we encourage the use of LT in late game, games would probably drag on even longer, especially that LTs are cheap.