[Need Feedback]Turret Rotation

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Kidpaler, Apr 3, 2017.

1. Kidpaler

Kidpaler Member

I CAN NOT STRESS THIS ENOUGH, THIS IS NOT THE SPEED OF THE TURRET. IT IS FOR DEMONSTRATION PURPOSES ONLY. IT WILL BE MUCH FASTER.

Sorry for the poor quality. I really don't know why it came out so poor. OBS just hates me all of a sudden.

Here is a clip from 2.13. I did a recording to show you guys what will be on the beta in 2 days and I would like feedback for the dev team to look at, not for myself. I have no affiliation with this project but it is still nice to get feedback for the dev team.

I am keeping a tally of the number who like and dislike. I have sent it out on chats and gotten feedback from chats but feedback from forum is also welcome. Keep in mind that the forums are not the only place people give feedback.

Current split is somewhere around 29 liking it and 9 disliking it, and 4 on the fence from people who have responded to me. These numbers are not final, it's simply of people who seem supportive of the idea of a turret speed, many of these people have also given suggestions because they don't think the current speed is good but that will be addressed.

What this features:
    Second seat is now independent of turret turning, meaning you can actually use it and you have the accuracy as if you were crouching (I think)
    emp_vehicletraining_20130002.jpg

Turrets have a traverse time, planned to be different per chassis

NOTE: THIS IS NOT THE FINAL TURRET TURN SPEED. IT WILL NOT STAY THIS SLOW (Most likely). THIS IS JUST FOR DEMONSTRATION PURPOSES SO IT IS NOTICEABLE.

GLITCHES: Arty can move independently, full 360
    Recoil on BE tanks is terrible
    If you die while moving the turret, it keeps moving in the afterlife.

The new "Heavily Armored Troop Carrier" or HATC. Costs around 1200 res and transports 1 troop around with max of 3 plates of "special" armor on each side.
    emp_vehicletraining_20130011.jpg

Edit: IF an admin sees this, can you change the name to "[NEED FEEDBACK] New Major Feature"

Last edited: Apr 6, 2017
  2. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

oh nice.

let me state some, probably obvious, things.
    - it needs a secondary crosshair
    - tanks will need a completely new balance both versus eachother and infantry
    - empires will change a lot

while this holds the options for great things, it also holds the danger of great failure.

please make it right. please be sure you did this well enough before release.
    do a lot of tests and if it needs hold back on the release until you are sure it works out ...

... or the whole thing will blow up in the biggest shitshow empires has seen.

3. Sgt.Security

Sgt.Security Member

Just to clarify : we will NEVER drop turret turn speed to something like 50 degrees per sec, not even close.

I plan to make the turret turn speed fast enough that you can't really notice it when simply "tracking" a moving target, even as a heavy tank.

This feature would be more of a fix for "360 no scope in 0.1 sec" and "you can push enemy tank with your turret if you swing it rapidly."

Flasche made a point.
    In WoT there is a secondary crosshair that indicates where your turret is facing currently.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2017
  4. Avatarix

that's a pretty bad attitude for a dev, but whatev, I hope rest of the team will outvote you ;)
    the second crosshair would be really great to have, but would probably take even longer to code
    oh, and while we're on crosshairs what about getting NEW crosshairs for tanks?
    @Sgt.Security do you plan to make differences between NF and BE turret turn rates?
    FEEDBACK
    rate for AFV is too slow, and for Heavy just right (why didnt you record medium tank?)

5. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

well yes, in a way i like the (heavy tank) turret speed in the video aswell, but then i also see that empires is arcadey and no milsim.

lets not judge from videos that are to be understood as proof of concept.
    lets have many, many playtests with a wide variety of values.
    lets figure out where the upper limits are.
    lets figure out what is good for empires.

to me it appears like this holds a lot of options to improve the game, but at the same time its also prone to be a complete mess if not done right.
    you can throw numbers around as much as you want, ultimatively only actual tests will show what is good and bad.

Kidpaler likes this.
  6. Sgt.Security

Sgt.Security Member

Here are the reasons why we are going with a "loose" limitation :

1: Fast and swift vehicle combat is one of the few non-horrible things that make Empires Empires.

2: Does not require a major balance rehaul.

3: Our projectiles are mostly slow, a harsh limit on turret rotation is going to make our vehicle combat immensely harder.

7. Ranger

Ranger Member

Is the HATC for real? Make separate thread for it? I want to gib teh feed back.

8. Paradox

Paradox I am a gigantic asshole who loses people's hard wo

I told u yesterdat but your turret needs to sticm to your tank right now you can still make really fast relative turns by turning your tank.

The tank part and the turret part are basiclydisconnected.

They should be connected. -> if u turn the tank the turret should turn with

Also I wouldnt mind if the heavy tank turnrate was this slow

9. Avatarix

So again, the future of Empiers mod will be decided solely on your interpretation of what makes Empires Empires?
    For me, Empires is variety of classes and strategy, not some fast, shaky armor combat with thousands of shells flying here and there.

10. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

April Fools was the day before, you have to wait a year for this.

Independent second seats are of course great and I don't think anyone would argue against that.

But the HATC seems like a bad joke. It's literally a big, heavy jeep that will primarily be used as a resource drain and secondarily as a durable revive bus for getting dead teammates back into the fight during large tank fights - something the LT and BE medium are already very good at while also having some defensive capabilities.

I'm vehemently against any kind of turret turn speed restriction. The gameplay changes will be felt across the entire game, for better or for worse. In my case, largely for worse, as my tank playstyle is very erratic and i only occasionally play as grenadier.

Yes I'm not looking forward to sucking.

@Avatarix not just his, you are hyperbolising. I agree with Security on the vast majority of changes. The first big thing I disagree with is turret turning speed. I won't comment on the rest of the actual dev team's stance, but the general atmosphere is that of support.

11. Sgt.Security

Sgt.Security Member

It's an april fool joke.

Fear not, because by a "loose" limit I mean you probably won't notice it in your regular hand-to-hand combat.

In its first patch(not 2.13.0), I want it to serve as a simple "speed limit", aka you can no longer break sound barrier with your turret. Maybe I'll set it as 0.1 sec for a 360 turn.

Then, we will figure out what to do with that.

12. Thexa4

Thexa4 Developer Staff Member Moderator

It's an arty tank with the cannon turned fully downward, not a new vehicle.

13. Thexa4

Thexa4 Developer Staff Member Moderator

It's a bug.

14. Paradox

I think there really needs to be a 2 step proces when it comes to developer team oppinions.
    1. Do the devs support it?

2. Do players who actually play the game support it? ( all you devs barely play the game, since DT is with the dev team he barely plays.)
    Have a panel of people who have played the game a lot give their oppinion

There was this picture that conveys what I feel very well.
    A room full of old white republicans deciding the fate of MATERNITY care

The devs are the old white republicans out of touch with the base they are deciding for.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/201...ke-pence-all-male-republican-team-discussing/

15. Avatarix

don't bother paraxox, they decided everything for us already
    this will be decided by few scripters, modellers, coders and developers who havent touch the game for weeks, not asked any player for their feedback BEFORE making a decision and their personal affairs (security vs vulcan)

16. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

Thexa has played 53 hours of Empires in the past 2 weeks. Smithy has played 21 hours of Empires in the past 2 weeks. Security has played 2 hours (of a grand total of 3) of Empires in the past 2 weeks. I have played for at least 3 hours each weekend in the past 2 weeks. DT is a community contributor and not a developer, just like me. You can see who is in the dev team here.. Please do some research before throwing around baseless accusations.

Decisions aren't made willy nilly, things are analysed thoroughly before they go public.

flasche likes this.
  17. Paradox

Has thexa actually played 53 hours of empires? Like PLAYED

Thats like you saying you played equal amount as your profile indicates.
    SITTING IN SPEC or testing empires doesnt count as playing ( no offence, I respect you guys for testing empires, but that doesnt mean you are in touch with the player base )

Please do think about statistics when you throw them around.

The person probably most qualified to say anything is smithy

edit: please note that my issue isnt with you guys personally or the work you put in but with the sudden approach and non consulting/decision making of the community.
    Theres a divide between the people who play the game and the people who decide the game and the people who visit the forum

18. Kidpaler

Kidpaler Member

I like to think I regularly play, but real life is limiting the amount of time I can play currently. Sorry :/ I do try to play as much as possible.

Also, regarding the HATC it's a joke under the glitches. Sorry, April Fools was day before but... the chassis does look like a whole new vehicle without the cannon so I had to.

I'd support, for this patch, doing a slightly longer tests with different turn rates to see what people like most. Right now, it makes guided harder to use. But again, I think this should be tested for a couple months and withheld from base game till it goes through some extreme vetting and multiple tests to find some happy speed for all.

19. Paradox

I'm not attacking you guys for not playing much,
    Im attacking you guys for not consulting people who do.
    You have help lines, people who want to provide feedback and you arent using them. Thats what is bothering me.
    There are plenty of good helpful people not on the forums you can ask help, people who have integrity and play the game tons -> scardy, hopfi, naokip, tony, mikleo and many others
    Do use them.

20. Kidpaler

Kidpaler Member

I do. I regularly message anyone I can.

I have 103 empires friends, or people who regularly play. I sent this video and a message asking about 40 people if they would like this feature, 10 replied. It's hard to get people's feedback when hardly anyone replies, but I still try and spread the message around to get feedback. Remember when I messaged you last night? You were part of a mass spam of that message to everyone.

I regularly consult about everything and try to get as much feedback as I can because I genuinely do care about what goes in and don't want people to hate stuff. Hence why I posted this video here and sent it out to many people.

You can help as well, spread the video around and relay feedback back to me.