Revert NF Radar and Barracks to old models

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Snarkeh, Feb 19, 2017.

1. Snarkeh

Snarkeh Member

I used to play empires around the 1.0 days and I really loved the game but I just lost interest over time. It's good to be back but I've noticed some straight up bizare changes, the worst of which are the 'newish' NF barracks and radar.

I get it was an attempt to fix up the existing fairly basic models, but it's a pretty fucking awful attempt. They're oddly out of place with the other buildings, poorly made, and the interiors are low quality, poorly detailed and don't make sense or don't fit with any other NF assets. The NF radar has blank tan squares everywhere that I assume are post it notes? Why? Some of the textures I'm pretty sure are from another game on top of being horrendously out of place.

The barracks has a a bunch of crap in it, none of which belongs in a barracks. I get "muh increase detail", but why bother with the increased performace hit if it's not a proper or even remotely well done model?

The old models may have been basic and low poly but they certainly weren't an eyesore. Plus it's pretty silly to punish players with low end PCs for a half assed modelling job. Atleast until a properly done replacement set can be made if that ever happens.

Other than that I really like a lot of the new stuff! I really appreciate the hard work you guys put into this.

2. LordDz_2

LordDz_2 Strange things happens here

"The old models may have been basic and low poly but they certainly weren't an eyesore. Plus it's pretty silly to punish players with low end PCs for a half assed modelling job. Atleast until a properly done replacement set can be made if that ever happens."

It's not going to happen, we get new models for Empires with the same speed of a sloth crossing a road.
    The new model of the barrack is a balance change as the old one was way too tall and gave Brenodi an unfair advantage.

3. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

dont make up arguments. its ok you dont like models, but your 13year old self's memory plays tricks on you, the old rax and radar were equally ugly maybe worse.

4. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

That's nostalgia talking. They were made in the same way as the current models, and are now much more evenly balanced between the teams. The old NF barracks was the easiest thing to hit in the game, and from extreme distances too. You can also enter the NF radar, which is nice.

Some textures from the radar interior may seem ripped from some unfitting place, but their cold war era facility look actually fits the NF lore of using refurbished items from the old war.

The blank tan squares are indeed post it notes. If you crank up your texture quality you can even read them.

The overall performance hit from those new models is negligible. Empires runs on a toaster anyway, specs aren't a limiting factor for us. Budget PCs can run the game just fine at smooth framerates.

5. Ranger

Ranger Member

I don't even remember the old radar model, fockk!

6. flasche

7. D.D.D. Destroyer

I stand corrected about entering it. The interior still got a huge improvement though.

8. Sgt.Security

Sgt.Security Member

As another player from Empires 1.0.

Please, get rid of that nostalgic thingy.

We have moved on.

9. D.D.D. Destroyer

As for the interior of the barracks, there's a lack of NF-style assets that would fit there, hence the crates, barrels and plates. There's not much to do about it without some artist help, but what's there is better than a barren room.

10. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

Though I have no problems with the new models, I had no problems with the old ones either. I wasn't exactly sure why the Radar specifically needed to be replaced, but I understand people took issue with the height of the NF rax, though I liked it for gameplay purposes.

I think my point is, it really doesn't make that much difference. There's certainly no quality difference between them. The new ones don't look any better or any worse, nor do the interiors make much difference either.

11. flasche

i would understand it if it would be counterbalanced. but its not, everything on nf is just large an clunky. i can understand it from an artisitic perspective, it distinquishes both factions, i dont think the effect on gameplay is worth keeping this difference though.

12. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

Well it was the best wall in the game, nf comms could certainly pop a rax down then build virtually anything behind it with ease even if the rax got destroyed in seconds, thank goodness for that building carcass decay time.

Most of the time though yeah it was a hindrance, even worse when people could get on top of it and keep it sabbed forever.

13. Smithy

Smithy Developer Staff Member Administrator

14. flasche

the classic camo one, tho the edge damage on the digital camo texture looks a whole lot nicer.

but gj in general

15. Kidpaler

Kidpaler Member

16. Snarkeh

Snarkeh Member

Right but I vaguely remember someone making a shortened barracks so why not use that? I mean the 'new' models just look super out of place now. Plus the old ones are STILL not bad and at least they fit in. I didn't mean to start a shit storm.

What happened to the guy who made it? You haven't asked anyone to make a new one?

No, I mean with a fresh install some of the sticky note textures are literally blank squares, not all of them but just the most accessible ones. Also having stolen textures only opens the mod up to legal issues and is a REALLY bad idea.

17. Lazybum

I'm pretty sure angry made the new rax and radar models. If I remember right I really want to say he actually made them in hammer then exported it out, but I'm probably wrong here. He was the sound guy too, I found it amusing he ended up making new models.

I dunno where he went off to though, a lot of people started deving again for empires for like 6 months then everyone buggered off. No one wants work on clunky old source anymore it seems.

18. Sgt.Security

Sgt.Security Member

19. Kidpaler

Kidpaler Member

Yes, that is how all the current buildings were done. Catface informed me of that, and you'd be surprised the odd jobs people end up doing when they come on to do something just to fill a gap that can be easily learned.

Uhh, I talked with him before I changed the sounds. He talked about doing something regarding tank engine sounds, then I didn't hear from him for like two months, then my sounds went live, then he got "upset" I ruined his legacy. Oh well, maybe I can ruin it further by doing newer rax models >:)

20. Lazybum

I don't think anyone would get mad if it was an improvement, that seems to be the hard part about trying to update things.