[REQUEST]Some more Environmental props

Discussion in 'Art' started by Kidpaler, Feb 10, 2017.

1. Kidpaler

Kidpaler Member

Hello everyone,

I am redoing the tutorial, as you know, and I am looking for a bit more environmental pizaz to make Empires look a bit better.

BASICALLY what I need: Some new grass models that are waist high that you would find along the edge of a stream, preferably with a live and "dead" version (So green and then yellowish brownish).

Some more trees (Oak trees mainly, something with a thick truck that can be used for cover).

Some bushes, any type really!

Some flowery grassy things for like an open field.

Why am I requesting this? Because foliage would be the best way to improve the looks of Empires. Sure we can complain about lack luster textures and such but part of why Empires is so dull is because when you look at the ground it's just a texture with nothing popping out at you. Combine this with the "tree cover", if you can even call it that, that we have in this game it makes for dull terrain. Maps could be improved by lots of cool foliage.

If anyone can make it, let me know. I want to use this in the new commander tutorial and make it look good.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2017
  2. Omneh

Omneh Member

https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Detail_props

Don't waste time spamming grass models, learn how to get the engine to spam them for you.

I'd recommend going on gamebanana, picking up an assortment of detail sprites/props and making a detail.vbsp. Might be best to make a small testing map first though, there's nothing as irritating as spending ages compiling a map only to discover you messed up the syntax somewhere and your map is covered in neon pink squares.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2017
    Thexa4 likes this.
  3. Kidpaler

Kidpaler Member

So, I was planning on doing some detail props, however the problem is I can't go on game banana for it. This will be an official tutorial, so I need the environmental props/textures I use to be part of Empires base meaning not from somewhere else.

4. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

isnt it just a matter of licensing especially since empires is a non-commercial product anyway?

Last edited: Feb 11, 2017
  5. Kidpaler

Kidpaler Member

Yea, but as far as I am aware the dev team doesn't want to get into ANY legal troubles so the less risk the better meaning I can't use anything that isn't native to Empires and made for Empires.

6. Sgt.Security

Sgt.Security Member

Technically donation is some sort of profit.

7. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

oh right i forgot about that there are donations now. well i assume you better start with taking photos then ...

8. Ranger

Ranger Member

Well, do you think it's too much to ask permission from people of gamebanana to use their models as official content for Empires..?

It doesn't mean much but my brother said you're free to do whatever you want with his maps if anyone is interested... And if I recall correctly there were helpful people from there and from Dimension Studios (when it was a thing) that just gave out models for him. So, why not take use of that community content if it's available? Like, it's just grass... But hey if not, I think it's at least worth a try looking for modelers from there. Might wanna help with Empurrs

9. duke

duke Former Developer (BE Creator)

10. Kidpaler

Kidpaler Member

Problem is, this will be included in base Empires. I need it for the tutorial, I want the tutorials to look as "pretty" as possible to try to entice people to play. Misfire has been a great guy and has supplied me quite a few models but of course more are always accepted.

11. f1r3w4rr10r

f1r3w4rr10r Modeler

I already linked this once in the dev char, but have it again: http://ngplant.org/
    Make your own trees! ;P

12. LordDz_2

LordDz_2 Strange things happens here

Why don't you make some for us? You're a modeler after all..

13. Kidpaler

Kidpaler Member

That WOULD be nice...

Just in general some big Oak Trees would be nice. Forests are kind of impossible atm due to the limitations in the foliage department.

Hopefully someone knows how to do it and will help out. Then we could have some cool forest maps and a change of scenery from the standard fairly open maps. Imagine having a forest combat map where you run around with tanks driving around.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2017
  14. f1r3w4rr10r

f1r3w4rr10r Modeler

The reason I linked that tool is, that you don't need to be a modeler to create some trees. It's basically the same as SpeedTree, just open source.

Kidpaler likes this.
  15. Kidpaler

Kidpaler Member

Hmm.. I feel a big forest coming.

16. LordDz_2

And you seem to know how to use it, so be a nice person and create us some trees? :)

17. f1r3w4rr10r

f1r3w4rr10r Modeler

I never used it. I tried out SpeedTree for a short while a LOOOONG time ago, so I know roughly what this software is trying to achieve.

18. LordDz_2

But you said it was easy to use, so you should be able to do it?

19. Smithy

Smithy Developer Staff Member Administrator

[​IMG]

20. f1r3w4rr10r

f1r3w4rr10r Modeler

And so should you by your own logic.