New Tutorial Map

Discussion in 'Mapping' started by Kidpaler, Jan 30, 2017.

1. Kidpaler

Kidpaler Member

I don't think that will be the case. The tutorial will say this is a "basic" overview and describe that Engineer is best for new players. I will even be downplaying scout until the class is reworked.

2. NekoBaron

NekoBaron Member

You really want a new player to think all classes are awesome and show the concept of being able to flexibly switch them, you tell them engineer is best for new players and they will see it as a noob class, yes your right about it being best for new players but your un-intentionally insinuating better people don't play engineer.

Which is why I would suggest letting the player choose from a central area which order to learn classes.

3. Kidpaler

Kidpaler Member

I see what you're saying. However, I'm not going to directly say that it's a noob class. I'll be guiding them through the basics of each.

Currently, I am kind of mimicking the prototype tutorial. Throws you into the heart of combat and you progress down the line to kill someone but along the way you learn the different abilities. That's what I'm going for.

4. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

call it "most versatile" and leave out the "for new players" completely.

5. Kidpaler

Kidpaler Member

That's the plan.

6. Kidpaler

Kidpaler Member

Also, I'll be accepting of any help and idea's for the tank tutorial. Basics for Tank Tutorial will be:

How to make a tank
    How to re-equip on a repair pad
    How to repair your tank
    How to get ammo for your tank

Possible ideas:
    How to turn your tank to maximize armor usage
    Skills to use for the classes

Any others?

7. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

I'd say that if we had any graphic artist, a gif sort of thing of a wireframe tank showing its plates and rotating around as damage comes in would be absolutely sick. As for skills, oh please everyone is only using the grenadier ones. The rest is flavor/high level tactics.

8. Paradox

Paradox I am a gigantic asshole who loses people's hard wo

What? Revive, repair, level 3, scout hide, rifleman damage upgrade?

9. Kidpaler

Kidpaler Member

Was talking about specifically the Tank Tutorial part.

As for perks, I am showing hide, probably revive, and whatever the Rifleman wants to equip when fighting the end bots.

10. D.D.D. Destroyer

There's a select few people that use vehicle damage, the rest of those skills don't affect you as the driver directly.

11. Paradox

Theres rifle damage and vehicle damage im talking about rifle damage its so good on riflemen

12. Paradox

Oooow

D.D.D. Destroyer likes this.
  13. Kidpaler

Kidpaler Member

Would anyone play various "Operations" that could, potentially, have a "time tracker" on it so it could be compared how quick some people did the operations? Kind of like MW2 I think it'd be fun... I don't know what others think.

Edit: I would style them in multiple forms. Just curious what people think. Now that bot's are going in, there could even be a "technical" campaign, but I'd rather do "Operations" for intense single player combat if no one is on. That or small coop server could be setup and it could be coop operations with up to like 6 people? No idea. Still got to think about it but with the basic bots going in I think a lot more can be done to make the game playable at low pop.

14. D.D.D. Destroyer

Okayokayokay don't get me wrong I love where you're going with this but let's get trenchassault and the tutorial first. I'll be sure to contribute to these operations if that ever gets off the ground, but the priority should be elsewhere right now ^^

15. Kidpaler

Kidpaler Member

Oh yea, Tutorial first. I should have it done by the end of the week/this weekend if the bot code for the commander can get done.

Also, right now Trenchassault is in the hands of the master entity wizard LordDz to work on some entity magic which is why I am focusing on this. And don't lecture me on a couple maps Mr. Emp_raid, Emp_Iceberg, Emp_Nuclear, and Emp_fixeverything

Edit: I'm just trying to get Idea's for the Operations now. Should I include one in the tutorial just for fun and to dick around in? Or should it be something else offered up on a very small server for fun? I should make a new thread.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2017
    D.D.D. Destroyer likes this.
  16. D.D.D. Destroyer

I admit, I have always had a problem with picking up projects and never finishing them. But right now I have a good IRL excuse, so

17. Kidpaler

Kidpaler Member

We will have to collaborate some then on making some kickass Operations in the future, when the Tutorial is done. Hopefully someone can put up a small server with them to make the game entertaining for low pop times.

Hell... While making them I could make a tutorial on what to do to get a basic map working for people to follow to make more operations. The possibilities of improvement here is endless.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2017
  18. Kidpaler

Kidpaler Member

Commander tutorial is now being worked on. It will feature a farm-esque map with quite a few new models which can hopefully be used in other maps as well (Corn, Tractor, various shrubbery). I do need ideas for what to cover, but would like additional input so this is semi-comprehensive.

Ideas thus far:
    Commanding units around
    Placing buildings
    Researching

Maybe:
    How to make a tank from commander view

Anything else?

19. vipervicki

vipervicki Member

Giving orders, recycling, hotkeys.

20. Kidpaler

Kidpaler Member

I plan on giving orders, I guess I can do recycling? I will have to come up with a fancy way to do that. As for hotkeys, I can't force a person to do that so... :/ That one might be for later when support is added and/or something they figure out on their own.