BroTeam twitch joined last night - nubtastic

Discussion in 'General' started by JustGoFly, Jan 18, 2017.

1. VulcanStorm

VulcanStorm Developer Staff Member Moderator

@flasche any help is always appreciated :)

But we've had this engine discussion multiple times before... The more experienced Devs say that it will take years (at least 1) to change engine.
    Many hundreds of hours of programmer work (for no visible player result!). However with source2 nowhere on the horizon... Maybe it might happen.

As for source, I've finally got the modelling workflow setup. It's not that complex, but it's certainly more effort than unity...

2. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

yes i know it takes time. but its not getting less time just by waiting.

also yeah its not hard, just tiresome to do anything for source (blender source tools are really helpful, yet you need to still setup a qc for each model. have you ever tried making a breakable? it requires a seperate qc for each and every gib - its just rediculous)

in source? write a/multiple .qc, hope you didnt mess up a path, export as smd, compile as mdl, convert each texture to vtf, write a vmt, hope you didnt mess up a path. look at it in hlmv.
    in ue4? export to .fbx, assign png textures to materials, have it look like ingame*
    in unity5? dont do anything, it can read .blend files (it internally converts to fbx) and it looks like ingame already

*integration for 3ds or maya is even better in ue4.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2017
  3. VulcanStorm

VulcanStorm Developer Staff Member Moderator

I don't plan on building a breakable...

But animations on the tank destroyers could be annoying...

4. flasche

i have not done anything with animations in source yet - but i can only imagine ^^

5. Kidpaler

Kidpaler Member

Empires was a brand new interesting concept back in that day, and was on par with modern graphics and most gameplay back in the day.

Now, it has aged. People don't care as much about learning a game before they jump into it and get frustrated when they see nothing going on. How the GUI plays out feels clunky, and when it feels clunky people don't really want to stay especially when they can't look up some of the commands/aren't tips to help out.

On top of all this as well, another annoying aspect is the fact that noobs now matter more than anything is the player population. 8 years ago, player pop was large enough that a game wasn't decided by 5 noobs on your team. The vets on your team could cope with 5 noobs depleting tickets or wasting some resources, but now 5 noobs literally makes or breaks a game because the teams aren't full. This then leads them to not have fun, and less likely to stick around because they get blamed for the loss and find the game frustratingly hard because they had no idea what to do and their actions of trying to learn negatively impacted their team. 8 years ago, it wasn't the case. You could dick around going into the pool on mid bridge and your team could still end up winning.

6. vipervicki

vipervicki Member

many posts in this thread back up why I have said previously spending money on advertising is a waste of money right now. The emphasis should be on giving the new players better tools to learn the game, so there will be a better chance of them sticking around, once that's accomplished then advertising would make sense.

7. Kidpaler

Kidpaler Member

Game needs tips and an overhaul of the current tutorial for the game to be any sort of good for advertising.

8. Lightning

Lightning Member

speaking of outdated, the concept of UE4 once again comes to mind. even though it seems wholly unrealisitic to expect anyone, let alone the devs to learn UE4 and begin making the entirety of empires again. then again i have been told UE4 is hella easy to learn.

9. JustGoFly

JustGoFly Member

I started playing another RTS/FPS (Executive Assault) game last week - I flew threw it in 100 hours and now am somewhat bored with it. Empires is different, it has much more depth and has a higher ceiling. I hate seeing a movement to remove any of that. There are things that can be done to make the game simpler - but I'd like to see that done a NOOB server, and keep the more complex version on a VETS server. Transition the players that would normally quit by putting tutorials on that server, make choices simpler.

@Flashe - I agree the RTS is a big draw. From the video you can see he expected to spawn troops and vehicles and control them from RTS view. On the noobs server you would choose appropriate commander maps - the one with the blimp, where the com can remain in F2 view the whole game would be good. The ones the vets like, Desert Storm, Canyon, Cyclopean - would not be good. Although you like great quality video - I am more into great gameplay. I do think it could be done with a 12 person dev team over a couple years using the Unreal 4 engine, but that is unlikely to happen.

The guys I talked to who played the above mentioned RTS/FPS were very interested in the RTS part of Empires. They came over, played in a 40 person game and were completely discouraged. I was on Team Speak with one guy telling him everything he needed to build vehicles, and how to compete, and still he hated it. This is primary an FPS game with a diminished RTS mode. The above game was an RTS game with an inferior FPS mode.

The fact is there is a select type of player that loves this game. They tend to be aggressive, competitive and love to win. That is why the Empires Culture gets a black eye. We take the game seriously and play hard. I'd have it no other way. And although we call each other asshole - there is a decent vet community and I know I don't hate anyone in it. I enjoy playing and busting balls. And yes I get carried away, at which point I log out. My first time on Arma 3 -Executive Assault one of the vets caught me leaving my squad, and said to me "Is this your first game noob?", I said "Yes" and he replies "Suck a dick - ban this asshole". We do not ban-hammer often and everyone knows it's to keep from com griefing, NOT because you are playing wrong or not following rules or being a scout... When I find a noob following orders, doing what he's asked of I usually point out his improvement and how well he's playing and I help educate him - and we add another vet to the group in a couple hundred hours. That is what we need to target, Not the kids, not the RTS chumps.

Video Ad we should have: "Are you a violent piece of shit FPS player that likes to kill, show how smart you are at strategy, lead squads of players? WE NEED YOU! Do you like to watch a large group of players via RTS and command a team strategy, dominating another team? WE MUST HAVE YOU! If you're a puke kid who likes to voice spam, FUCK OFF. " Heh heh

10. flasche

wow i only had awesome experiences in arma so far, the guys i met were the most friendly community ive ever encountered online, i said im new and they took me by the hand and explained every little detail no matter how stupid my question. admitably i only played on a milsim pve server, i tried some pvp modes, but i never got to meet anyone and got bored of it.

11. Xyaminou

Xyaminou Member

Blah blah blah game improvements blah blah, has any of you even tried to contact him or added him to your friendlist to encourage him to stay? Or are you just going to keep having useless conversation that lead nowhere like you always do?

A-z-K and Paradox like this.
  12. complete_

complete_ lamer

uhhh it looks like they got the hang of it pretty quickly to me. you guys are weirdly critical. no clue what video you guys are watching. i never understand a game perfectly the first time playing it

also it was my first time hearing the new sounds. fuck to smg2 and medium tank (dt just growled into a tube)
    2:54:13 is all i need to hear

1. make people realize you can rotate buildings/guide rockets
    2. dont hide voice chat under commander gui

13. Kidpaler

Kidpaler Member

Well, it seemed to be they didn't pick up the objective quite clearly. Point is, it could be made a LOT easier for them because having a 16v16 where everyone is learning doesn't make the game intense and therefore boring because no one knows whats going on and you are spending all the time you can trying to learn.

That's a real tank engine sound btw.

14. Paradox

Paradox I am a gigantic asshole who loses people's hard wo

you're doing it again

It isnt because its a real life tank engine that its a good video game engine sound

15. Kidpaler

Kidpaler Member

Didn't claim it was, however as someone else once told me "It doesn't sound real enough". It's like you expect a realistic non-real sound in most instances.

Also, I thought it fit. So it fit. It also fit the people who tested it. But this isn't the place for that.

Edit: He said it was me growling into a tube. I told him what it was. In no way did I say "It's good because it's real", I simply said "that is a tank engine sound". Quit putting words into my mouth.

16. complete_

complete_ lamer

i can only imagine how boring a dota game with all new players must be

17. Kidpaler

Kidpaler Member

Actually QUITE boring. If you have any idea of what you are doing, you just stomp on the enemy with almost noone able to fight back and almost no strategies put together, no teamwork etc.

18. complete_

complete_ lamer

exactly. theres only so much you can do. most new people will be playing with other experienced people so its ok. that isnt to say there are problems that still need to be addressed
    empires isnt a pick up and go game. there are much better games for that (never heard of an rts game being easy to pick up)

also i found a better medium tank sound from youtube

19. Kidpaler

Kidpaler Member

I don't want to go into it, but I believe there will be a system HOPEFULLY soon that makes the way tank engines are done now obsolete and will allow for a MUCH wider variety of engine sounds. Again, not the thread so lets drop it.

20. duke

duke Former Developer (BE Creator)

Having used ue4 professionally for near 2 years, I completely agree with the sentiment, although I'm on unsure if the networking element meets Empires needs (which is the critical part).