You know what noobs actually complain the most about?

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Paradox, Jan 6, 2017.

1. Paradox

Paradox I am a gigantic asshole who loses people's hard wo

Its not rifleman, its not mines, its not tanks

Its people spectating. Noobs actually get really frustrated by seeing a 5v5 when theres 10 in spec.

Do the devs have the balls to hotfix spec?

2. Sgt.Security

Sgt.Security Member

Actually I have an idea.

What if we cut all communications between spec and live players?

3. Paradox

what if we cut all communications in general for everyone in spec.

4. CRITAWAKETS

CRITAWAKETS Member

Actually noobs complain about admins being assholes.

Also, veterans complain about admins being assholes but for different reasons. We are related to the noobs.

NekoBaron likes this.
  5. Sgt.Security

Sgt.Security Member

That would be pretty revolutionary.

I mean we'll probably miss our little chatbox, but that's how you end specpires.

D.D.D. Destroyer and Avatarix like this.
  6. Avatarix

specpires needs to die
    and if people couldnt talk on spec it would push them to play and do things
    and then admins could deal with AFKs in the team so it would get balanced
    seems good for me :ok_hand:

7. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

The chatting aspect is one thing, since everyone enjoys a good talk, but what strikes me as an even bigger issue is the tiny downtime between games. I haven't counted this to the second recently, but the time between CV death and map change lies somewhere within 45 seconds. The server loads the new map in a matter of seconds, and most of the time someone joins a team and starts the two minute vote timer almost instantly. That means the downtime is about three minutes. That is ridiculously short by most standards (of the big games out there, only StarCraft 2 can have this short downtimes, and that is entirely dependent on you, the player). Many players need a break after finishing a longer round of Empires, be it to eat a snack, rush the bathroom, or just stretch. What they tend to do is load up the next map, join spectators, and only then go AFK. Now, they could just leave sooner and remain unassigned but that only changes the name of the problem from "specs please" to "unassigned please". Anyway - after these players return from their break, they often join up, resulting jn teams bloating in size to even more than double the initial size, gradually eroding any organisation that might have taken place among those who joined during the vote, and putting less seasoned commanders in quite a bad, unexpected spot.

The fix to this is absolutely banal, and that is simply to increase the commander vote time to something more reasonable and resembling a break - doubling it or even setting it to five minutes would do just fine, in my opinion.

I am aware that even now, there are players who complain about long downtime between rounds. However, those are singular cases that go against the much larger backdrop of people who simply get up, leave without a word and don't care about the (start of or entire) next map in order.

8. Avatarix

Agree with Destroyer, but also the sole vote timer for next map is extremely short, and you can't suggest new maps after the vote started, which is sometimes hard to do while playing as a commander or another important role in the match.
    inb4 server discussion belongs to the server forum - sadly im banned there

9. A-z-K

A-z-K Member

Skirmish modes!

10. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

That's why you nominate maps as soon as you join empires. I got "nominate emp_palmbay" on a keybind afterall.

11. Avatarix

Damn, now I need to keybind nominate emp_nuclear_b8m and nominate emp_castle too!

12. Paradox

Thats only for a portion of the spec players, not for all of them. I think this maybe acounts for 1/3rd to 1/2. The others just sit in spec all the fucking time. We need to either eliminate those, or make em play.

13. Paradox

I think vicki or the creeper could supply stats on this malicious spectating

14. Paradox

So lets do this guys, @Thexa4 how much coding work would it be to just CUT spectate communication? not much rite? Rite?
    definitely hotfix material

15. Sgt.Security

Sgt.Security Member

But honestly, people do sometimes just...don't feel like to play, they just want to see what's going on.

I really wouldn't mind our spec works like a Twitch chatroom, I mean you can chat around and stuff.

I actually have a feeling that if we kill that chatroom function, the effect might be destructive and irreversible, but it may go other way, who knows?

But either way, spec shouldn't be given with so many ways to interact with live players.
    As a spectator you can talk directly to them, you can hop into a team and leave instantly like nothing happened.

In fact, I'd like to point out that the idea of "teams" need to be a little more solid in Empires, people shouldn't be allowed to just switch teams because they feel like it, like I don't even care if you are trying to balance the team, we are supposed to punish ragequitters, not asking the enemy team to show you some mercy by rebalancing the teams.

It makes the game like....not serious at all, because it's way too easy to manipulate the result with players switching teams.

16. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

Well there's a gag for admin, which mutes chat. Might be possible to gag anyone on the spec team and ungag them when they leave it. I don't really know how sourcemod plugins work though, so might be harder then I think, or might already exist.

I will say the people who use empires like a chat program passively help seed the server I think. People go to see how many players and see like 20 and think that's enough players to play. If it really said only 15 or 10 it might be harder to get it going. At least that is how looks to me, empire server struggles to get players til around 16-20 players then it can quickly go to 30 or up on weekends, weekdays always suck.

17. Paradox

If I join the server at 20 pop and I see spec I just fucking quit, I dont wanna feel frustrated playing a 5v5 when I know it could be way higher cause those guys need a chatroom to ciclejerk each other.

18. Paradox

Thats a pretty good idea, maybe make it so once you join a team after 5 minutes game time, you cant join the other team for the remainder of thegame. Also if you have spectated the game for more than 5 minutes you cant join teams either.

19. Sgt.Security

Sgt.Security Member

1: If you spectated for X minutes, you can't join a team.

2: If you are on a team for more than X minutes, you can't switch your team.

20. Paradox

Lets kill spec after all these years, YES WE CAN