Key bindings screwed up when you are squad leader

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by Señor_Awesome, Dec 31, 2016.

1. Señor_Awesome

Señor_Awesome Member

As per title: when you are squad leader the key bindings get all mucked up. Q becomes squad target, K becomes one of the squad powers (I think?) etc. Ignores the bindings you have set up in controls.

How to reproduce: Be a squad leader (may need to have at least one other person in your squad but I doubt that's necessary...)

2. Terminator-X29B

Terminator-X29B Member

Change the bindings in your squadleader.cfg

Steam/SteamApps/common/Empires/empires/cfg/squadleader.cfg

:cool:

3. Smithy

Smithy Developer Staff Member Administrator

For the time being this is the only way to alter this, eventually there will be a control set for squad leading. It's on my list of things to do.

4. Señor_Awesome

Señor_Awesome Member

My question is, why is this suddenly the case? It was never a problem for me until this version. It's really frustrating to me because, since I didn't go and alter that cfg, I lost a game tonight because I don't know where my voice bind is when I'm squad lead.

Partially my fault, yes, but -_-

5. Neoony

Neoony Member

6. Xyaminou

Xyaminou Member

I'm the one who requested this features, please direct all blame toward here.

But yeah, it's not really a bug.

Although in the futures it might be a good idea to add a new tab for squadleader in the controls or something.

7. Neoony

Neoony Member

Well I actually had someone else in mind.
    Someone was trying to figure out how to make a bind for targeting and spotting in one button. Think it was BRD? not sure.
    Thats what I meant.

EDIT: https://forums.empiresmod.com/index.php?threads/suggestion-squad-lead-features.20505/#post-532841
    I thought this is where it came from.
    But I only assumed.

8. Señor_Awesome

Señor_Awesome Member

I consider it a bug when suddenly one of the default binds change when you are squad leader. 'q' is normally quick swap, and I guess it's squad target by default when you're squad leader? Either way, it conflicts with my voice chat bind which is also 'q' because speaking in empires is more important than switching back to the last weapon you used. And it certainly doesn't help that I had no way of knowing how to do anything about it.

My other binds were lost too but I'm guessing that came about from swapping between beta and normal branch or something rather than this, since there was only the one bind in the cfg. I don't mind the cfg being an option, certainly would be nicer to have it just normally in the controls menu, but it should be empty by default.

9. Neoony

Neoony Member

Obviously the .cfg file should have been pushed empty.
    So now it just rebinds the following thing, everytime you become squad leader.
    Code:
    bind "q" "emp_menu_quickcmd 2 3"
    Which would fuck even my Voice chat key which I set to "Q", so Iam glad you guys found out sooner xD
    Just delete the line.

Now you just need to tell that to everyone else, who had something important bound to "Q" xD
    Or intends to bind something to "Q". And then intends to become a squad leader. >:)
    And next update, should probably make the file empty, so that everyone can set their custom binds by themselves...instead of the game replacing its default binds xD
    I mean, shit happens....if it wasnt intended :grinnf:

EDIT:
    Just a question.
    These infantry/squadlead/commander.cfg files dont actually unbind and rebind the old thing back, after you become something else, right?
    So I guess you would basically need to unbind or rebind whatever you set in one of the files, in others too, or not?
    Or does default/mainmenu binds get rebound everytime you change between the roles?

Think I never actually used them.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2017
    Señor_Awesome likes this.
  10. Paradox

Paradox I am a gigantic asshole who loses people's hard wo

hell fucking no u werent the only one, I suggested it aswel.

Give me some blame too! :D

11. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

Q was bound to spot for a few patches before this one.

12. Señor_Awesome

Señor_Awesome Member

Not for me it wasn't, and I know a couple of other people noticed it this patch as well.

13. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

I bet this is the same problem that causes some people's default class to be scout instead of engineer but with a different symptom.

14. Smithy

Smithy Developer Staff Member Administrator

Steam cloud stores some files which are not overwritten with game updates (CFG folder). If you didn't notice the spot binding change that'll be why. (I think.)

15. Neoony

Neoony Member

That wouldnt be the first time.
    Also why I got it off.

16. Neoony

Neoony Member

You can hear multiple people constantly complaining about their Q key not working or unbinding itself.
    None of them know why. This should really be removed from squadleader.cfg