Banned Users Database?

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Terminator-X29B, Dec 30, 2016.

1. Terminator-X29B

Terminator-X29B Member

Had some discussion with Icon about users who are using double accounts to play again after a ban.

No one knows which admin banned players and why...thats a thing we need to solve or not?

Can some dev setup a little "Banned User Database"?

If you dont know what I mean just ask! ;)

2. complete_

complete_ lamer

there are users that are banned in the code of empires but it is very small (3, i think?)

you are thinking of the servers which are not connected to the dev team. the ban list for that is available but for some reason the owners dont make the list easily accessible for whatever reason (i choose to think maliciously)
    ask the admins in the server why its not available, not the devs.

Neoony likes this.
  3. Devourawr

Devourawr Member

NUBS is not connected to the dev team in any way - you'll have to take up any ban related requests with them.

4. NekoBaron

NekoBaron Member

Nubs will never openly discuss bans and are frankly quite hostile about talking about it in the open, your better off directly asking them instead of on a forum.

I will agree though, it is malicious ,obscure, confusing and frustrating when players are banned and admins refuse to say who why and how long. Makes it near impossible to complain about an unfair ban because you don't get any info about it to even counter it.

Neoony likes this.
  5. Señor_Awesome

Señor_Awesome Member

How frequently are people getting banned for time periods > 1 hour? I should imagine that doesn't happen very often. Heck, even an hour or less shouldn't be happening that often - I certainly don't see it happening when I'm on.

I guess I'm just not seeing this as an issue. The players Icon would most likely be referring to would have a long standing permanent ban for legitimate reasons.

6. A-z-K

A-z-K Member

When you run a server it's way too much effort to talk about every ban. Especially in this community.
    Ultimately if you don't like the way a server is run you should start your own.

Discussing bans with anyone other than the person who was banned is a terrible idea in a community that cannot have any kind of open discussion without it becoming an argument.

I see a lot more bad behavior than I do bans. non issue.

Neoony, vipervicki and Señor_Awesome like this.
  7. vipervicki

vipervicki Member

this was already explained, searching forums is your friend.

Sourcebans is about the only plugin for bans to be visible, the problem is its a security risk because the server rcon needs to be put in on a website, I used sourcebans on VIPER and a lot of shenanigans went on. admins were removed, admins added w/o me doing so and other unexplained things.
    the server rcon needs to be protected or some malicious creep can do a lot of damage to the server and using sb is too risky,

and yeah neko_baron instead of always criticizing nubs and its owner, get your own server and configure it how you like, your lack of appreciation for thecreeper spending his own money and putting in so much time and coding plugins so the community has a server to play on its getting real old.

8. Neoony

Neoony Member

how is rcon exposed with sbans?

EDIT:
    As far as Iam concerned, NUBS just needs a place where people can cry and be heard.

As simple as that.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2016
  9. Sgt.Security

Sgt.Security Member

I agree that a ban list should be posted somewhere, every single game out there does post the ban list, it's essentially not a bad thing to do.

But explanation & discussing bans in server? Are you fucking high?

As I said, people constantly exploit the fact that we are a tight community and anyone can reach the moderators with zero difficulty.

If you are not the one being punished, you have absolutely no fucking rights to question the punishment, especially if you are not an admin.

Like, you shouldn't even ask "Why he was banned?", let alone questioning the legitimacy.

If you wanna play your "speaking for justice" game, you are in the wrong house.

Señor_Awesome likes this.
  10. Neoony

Neoony Member

Agree, its a public server.

This is something that was taken way too lightly in the community so far.

People have learned that if they complain, server owners will go nuts....or simply go do things.
    This is something that I dont think was done right in the past of the community.

...it was done with....literally, having your tails between your legs (IMO)

Especially Vicky gotta grow some balls, instead of riding the drama along. (ironically and literally)
    And thats again...no offense.
    EDIT: fells like someone gotta say it...goes to most current "main public server owners"
    ...and...thats just me being literate :grinnf: :grinnf:
    just hope it stays for the whole next year xD

Just, stay strong ;)

lol :grinnf:
    // sorry for going personal there :D

11. TheCreeper

TheCreeper Member

You know, It would be greatly appreciated if you used the search function on the forums for these kinds of things. It's being explained many times in the past why I chose to not use SourceBans. As Vicki once again said in this thread and previous ones, it was a decision not to install insecure software on the server. As previously on VIPER, there would be times where admins/bans would be mysteriously removed or added with no explanation. Just to clarify, there isn't a hidden webpage for the ban list that you seem to suggest. It's literally just an SQL database with no frontend other than the commands available to admins through the server. So, he's my proposition to you or anyone else, make me a PHP script or something in Go (I don't care which) that displays the bans from the database and I'll happily host it.

Well, there is a place. It's advertised on the MOTD and by other admins, it's the discussion forums on the NUBS Steam group of course, maybe I'm missing something here.

I can't even begin to understand what's going on in this post, are you drunk?

12. Paradox

Paradox I am a gigantic asshole who loses people's hard wo

Cause people are always keen to admitting they made a mistake?
    People in general, dont just own up to a mistake by themselfs, hell most of the people wont even own up to their mistakes when confronted. So even if you made a wrong ban, a wrong mute or a wrong anything you wont admit you did it wrong. And especially not to the person you did it to. If other people ask why did you ban and point out it wasnt deserved atleast you are held up a mirror to reflect on what you did.

Dont be so ignorant to think that people actually will own up to their mistakes. Look at your self for an example, something as simple as scripts going one way or another already makes you react angry when people say they dont like them. To think that an admin in empires would admit mistakes is a long shot, and the only person IVe seen doing that is perhaps vicki to which I congratulate her for having that kind of personality.

Also fuck destroyer and LT

Neoony likes this.
  13. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

that cuts both ways tho. no offender ever did anything wrong, it was just admin abuse due to personal grudges or whatever;)

14. Paradox

That's why I do think it's good to broaden the dialogue to not only the 2 parties but others aswel.

15. Sgt.Security

Sgt.Security Member

I failed to see how your statement justifies "people should question admin actions and they DESERVE answers and explanation, even when they aren't the one being punished."

In every single game out there they give you a ban list, name/date and a reason, that's all, no explanation.

Creeper punishes admins if they abuse and we revoke any inappropriate admin action, simple.

Why should we admit if we make a mistake? Like... do you want the admins to give you a nice bow?

16. A-z-K

A-z-K Member

I really don't think this is that big of a deal. I could be wrong.
    If you get banned you probably did something wrong, maybe you feel like your punishment was disproportionate but thats kinda luck of the draw depending on who catches you. Everythig has to be treated in isolation, this isn't the high court. There's plenty of ways to have a sensible discussion about it, but in most cases people should just ride out their ban, be sorry and not do it again.

But the absolute worst thing to do, even if it is a clear case of admin abuse is to start calling it out in a public arena.

Neoony likes this.
  17. Paradox

My point was NOT that they DESERVE answer and explanations, my point was that it should be OK to publicly discuss admins actions, and for people in the server to question admin actions to make admins think about it themselves. If the person getting punished and the person enforcing it have to talk through it by themselves noone is going to get any further because neither of them is going to admit fault because they are seeing the other person as an enemy. When theres a third party being higher admins or the public, people might reconsider their actions and self reflect.

"If you are not the one being punished, you have absolutely no fucking rights to question the punishment, especially if you are not an admin.

Like, you shouldn't even ask "Why he was banned?", let alone questioning the legitimacy."
    This is what I specifically responded too.

Also I dont need you to admit a mistake as in publicly announce you made a mistake but just internally understanding you made a mistake is a long way already.

Neoony likes this.
  18. Paradox

I have to beg to differ here. I dont think you should take it and swallow it if you disagree, take it up higher even if its only a 1 hour ban. And if its clear abuse going public IS the right decision. I do understand that what Im going to compare this too is far fetched but there is a ressemblence. In real life when people get mistreated in all sorts of situations from getting punished wrongfully by the police, or abused by people in power and they cant go to higher ups or what ever they do take to the media. And guess what because of the outcry of the public saying the person was right shit gets overturned and the people in power get put in their place.

19. Sgt.Security

Sgt.Security Member

What will going public bring you?

Let people who's completely out of the affair know that we are such a shit server with bad admins?
    Spread negative opinions in public?
    Get people into stressing the admins?

If an admin is wrong, he's wrong, Creeper will figure that out WITHOUT you going public.

Anyone (who cares) can reach Creeper with zero difficulty, can you tell me any necessity of bringing admin actions into public view?

20. Paradox

Read my reply to azk

also is creeper omniscient?