Christmas gifts (Empires 2.11, public script repo)

Discussion in 'News' started by Thexa4, Dec 25, 2016.

1. Thexa4

Thexa4 Developer Staff Member Moderator

After a long wait we're happy to announce the release of Empires 2.11

A highlight of the changes in this version:
    • Voice pop-ups now display avatar and map coordinates.
    • New mass unit selection feature for commanders.
    • De-selection improvement to compensate for increased selection efficiency.
    • The squad menu now has a compass-like feature, the arrow directs you to your squad leader.
    • Added translation support to empires.
    • Added and updated a lot of sounds.
    • Achievements!
    • HUD updates
    • 3-slot vehicle weapons + research
    • And a lot more: https://wiki.empiresmod.com/Version/2.11.x
    We also wanted to give you something else for the holidays, so we decided to open our script repository to the public. This means that you can see the full history of all script changes and go back in history to see what values were used before. You can view the scripts here: https://git.empiresmod.com/empires_public/empires_scripts

Happy holidays from the Dev Team!

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 25, 2016
  2. vipervicki

vipervicki Member

I get alot of assert errors and froze up twice when in cv, had to close game with task mgr each time. CV sound is way too loud.

3. Thexa4

Try playing on a server without sourcemod for the time being. We're investigating an issue where sourcemod printing to the chat results in asserts for clients.

4. vipervicki

vipervicki Member

OK, also I froze up while being shot by an apc..not crazy about that mg sound on the apc, sounds fake. not a realistic sound.

5. Kidpaler

Kidpaler Member

"That MG sound", What sound?

Also, why are you saying it's "not realistic", I was told by you and Paradox I shouldn't go for "realism" because being real doesn't make it better. (I don't mean this snottily, I'm just saying that it was brought up in my thread.)

CV sound hasn't changed since last time people played it because the only two complaints was that it cut out and sounded like a tractor/didnt fit NF (Will fix that). Never got a complaint it was too loud during people trying out the sounds/beta.

Edit: I can't go 5 mins without crashing.

6. Señor_Awesome

Señor_Awesome Member

Turns out the gift we got for christmas was not being able to play Empires so we'd have to find/make loved ones to spend time with.

(Haven't actually tried it myself)

7. Kidpaler

Kidpaler Member

Crashing was fixed for Windows, will be fixed for Linux hopefully tomorrow.

ML Lock on sound got COMPLETELY screwed up, I submitted a fix, Thexa has to approve it tomorrow. Then everything I think is good.

8. NekoBaron

NekoBaron Member

If we make a scripts fork will it be looked into or just ignore like all the other custom scripts atempts :/ ?

9. vipervicki

vipervicki Member

you and I discussed the cv sound in game and you agreed it was bad sounding and connected with the apc sound. After the second update the cv sound was at a better level for me.
    I never said dont make the sounds realistic sounding I posted how to make it sound realistic w/o using a the actual sound of a particular item. I nor paradox never said make the sounds sound fake.
    I dont know which mg on the nf apc since as soon as he killed me I froze and had to end the hl2.exe process with task manager.

10. Thexa4

We try to look into all suggestions but I can't promise that it will be merged. Having an up to date fork makes it significantly easier for us to merge proposed changes.

11. thomasfn

thomasfn Member

Something seems very wrong with cannon shells at the moment. Unsure if it's a server related issue but it never happened before this update. Certain shells (in particular, extended range (normal+heavy) and bio cannon (heavy), others probably affected also) sometimes bounce right off vehicles. Not been tested thoroughly but has been observed to bounce off NF heavies. The shell can be seen hitting the tank and then literally just bouncing off and vanishing after 1/2 a second, dealing no damage at all. Sometimes the shells land fine and deal damage.

Missiles never bounce but have been observed to go right through tanks, in particular NF light (including gren missiles).

So far haven't seen any projectiles not damaging BE vehicles so could be specific to NF or shells in particular.

12. Ranger

Ranger Member

The update fixed my problem and I can finally exit Empires without restarting my PC. Thanks Devs!!! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !

13. Thexa4

This can sometimes happen because the client tries to predict where cannon shells will be. You can see this when your ping is too high or if the server is overloaded.
    How high is your ping when you notice these problems?
    Are you on wifi or on a cable?
    What server are you connected to?

That's good to hear, have fun playing!

14. Kidpaler

Kidpaler Member

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say something was wrong with the soundcache the first time around leading to off level sounds and stuff being abnormally loud.

Next Update I'll get CV engine sounds back.

If you find out what MG it is, let me know though if your game crashed while the MG was firing at you, I'm guessing that could have lead to it sounding terrible since sounds are usually bad when crashing but again, let me know.

15. thomasfn

thomasfn Member

This was on nubs main. Same ping as always, 80-120. On cable, no internet issues. This was noticed by other people playing in the server too, so it's not just me. Several people were complaining that their gren missiles were going right through tanks also. It's 100% definitely related to this update, unless something else unrelated got changed on nubs main at the same time.

To further debunk the faulty clientside prediction theory, I drove right up to an NF tank and shot it point blank when neither of us were moving, several times. It would literally be impossible for prediction to fail here. This is definitely happening serverside.

16. TheCreeper

TheCreeper Member

Nothing was changed server side so it sounds as if it's related to the update. Weird bug though.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2016
  17. Tama

Tama Developer Staff Member Web Developer

I take it you have not tried switching to the "spike_scripts" branch on steam? My thanks go to Spike for helping me test out how to publish custom scripts. I intend to that more often in future, now that I can leave the maintenance of the forked git history up to the contributors of those changes.

To clarify, what I am saying is that (1) yes, we will look into scripts forks, that is why our detailed instructions also explain how you should make your own fork, and (2) I have already done so in the past, even without a real fork, with me putting in extra time to maintain Spike's steam branch from seperate zip files sent to me.

18. Thexa4

We just published version 2.11.2.179. This should fix the hangs / asserts with SourceMod servers and reduce the slowdown on servers with default MOTD.

We don't have a solution for the cannon / missile issue yet. We're looking into it.

19. thomasfn

thomasfn Member

Thanks for the updates. I'll see if I can record some video next time there's enough people playing and I experience the issue, hopefully that will help.

Thexa4 likes this.
  20. NekoBaron

NekoBaron Member

This is good to know, and yes we did try out the branch but it wasn't clear if many other people tried it or even noticed it.