Winter PUG, December 17th

Discussion in 'Events' started by Lazybum, Dec 13, 2016.

1. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

Yeah I can't get the minimap to cooperate with me, so I give up on glycenplains. Sorry about that, it's gonna be glacial instead.

2. Lazybum

Well, it was fun while it lasted. Thanks everyone for attending and putting up with long waits for the rounds to start. Sorry it didn't go past round 2, things didn't go as planned on several fronts. At least we know what's working and what's not, so things will just get better and better.

3. VulcanStorm

VulcanStorm Developer Staff Member Moderator

It was a great pug. @Lazybum Thanks for organising it :)

We need these more often...

4. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

First round was fun, second round was alright but homeland's a bit of a grind. It was like if slaughtered was turned into an urban map.

Commandergrad would've been better imo.

5. Lazybum

Yeah, I kinda meant to do commandergrad as second map, but I don't think I've seen homeland played in a pug and I feel like I hear waaaaaaay more complaints against commandergrad then homeland. I do want to play commandergrad in a pug at some point though, it's like chain or insurrection where it just works much better if teams are organized.

I also expected infantry to play more of a part even if tanks were going around because of the inf only passages, but I kinda underestimated the res flow yet again and there was just tanks everywhere. I do think homeland is better then slaughtered though, at least there's an actual second chokepoint instead of a weird thing were you keep like 3 people on standby the whole match incase one team decides to build bridge.

6. Paradox

Paradox I am a gigantic asshole who loses people's hard wo

Again it just showed me the superiority tanks have over infantry. Both games came down to me yelling at my team to get in tanks and not waste tickets by being infantry.
    In the first map brenodi had a lead of about 30 tickets -> 60 vs 90. At that point I Started yelling at my teammates to get into tanks eveyrone into tanks and revive squads in place to revive the dead. Because of that we had more tanks on the field and we slowly but steadily started winning. Tanks just so gud

7. Kidpaler

Kidpaler Member

I had a lot of fun.

For the next one, can we do a story themed PUG? Some of the maps are made to play in order, and I think that'd be fun.

For example: Glycen plains, Glycen Pass, Glycen City

Start on Glycen Plains, if BE loses, it goes back to Glycen Pass.
    If BE wins, goes on to the next map in sequential order, same for NF.

This would make a "campaign" PUG which I think would be cool.

8. vipervicki

vipervicki Member

even though I don't join PUGS as a rule, I want to say thank you to lazybum because I know its a lot of work, and sometimes aggravating, sometimes frustrating, but lazybum always comes through and puts one together. Players always seem to enjoy it as well.

So thanks Lazy for your time and effort.

9. Lazybum

A campaign pug does sound neat, and in fact at one point I wanted to run one. There's a map of the empire world somewhere, I was gonna section it off with all the maps like a risk board and then have captains of each team pick what to attack, basically there would be one round for each map they picked and they chose one map to play every pug game. After 4-8 games whoever had the most territories or got the capital would have won the campaign.

For that though we don't really have the playerbase committed enough for it. I was also trying to think of ways to put bonuses on the map so captains would go out of their way to grab for a boost in upcoming matches, like starting with a few extra tanks or having something already researched. Sadly that's kinda hard to do, and I kinda lost motivation for it.

For what you are proposing, hmm yea it could be fun. I don't do these that often though, so I usually tend to favor maps that I don't think get played often or only work at high pops. Which means certain chains of maps, like the glycen line up, don't quite work for what I usually do. If you or anyone wants to get that event going though go for it, there's not much really stopping anyone from organizing anything.

10. complete_

complete_ lamer

how long did that first round go? i had to bone out after like 30 minutes

11. Sgt.Security

Sgt.Security Member

It's fine if you want to encourage your team that they were doing good (or you were doing good, whatever).

But it's simple, X forgot to drop a radar until we hit 2k res, and he didn't immediately start the next research.

So overall we got to medium tank 3~4 minutes later than you guys. If you looked at minimap by chance, that's when we got pushed back entirely and lost our little ticket lead.

It's just superiority of medium tanks over LT/AFV.

Well not blaming X, he stepped up to comm a tense game.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2016
  12. Paradox

To be honest you are so dead wrong here.
    If anyone has a recording it can be showed to you. Yes we had mediums before you, but no we didnt gain our lead when we got the mediums. I still remember us getting pushed back in middle and south and having to push back out against mediums. I remember us not having middle when you guys got mediums. The turning point of the entire game was me taking 6-7 mediums down south and holding down that ref at the chokepoint and letting your mediums strategically die there without pushing up ourselfs.

I really hope someone recorded this so I Can show you, it wasnt because our research was 2 minutes faster. It was because we got our shit together and played together in tanks.

13. Paradox

another 20-30 more. Really exciting stuff. We did a massive push mid that failed cause my people went down to the east in that shitty rabbit hole instead of the west to take southwest. But that was fine, I wasnt clear in my communication. I think we lost like 6-8 mediums there in one go. Then we did another big push in the southwest with mediums taking over that position and shelling them from there. Then it went all downhill cause we could break them from 2 sides in the middle

14. Xyaminou

Xyaminou Member

I completely forgot to place a radar and VF, there's no denying that. I could blame it on not having commanded a real game in months. But in the end that's just what happens when you do both strategical coordination and commander management at the same time.
    Did it affect the game? I wouldn't say so, I wouldn't want to take the victory from NF which played very well.
    But more importantly the fun was definitely there, even from a commander stance. Such an interesting game, glacial always offer something quite different from other maps and I'm glad we played it.
    I recorded it and will upload on youtube so you can see from my point of view.

What is probably the only reason we were able to push you back when you first rushed mediums to our main base is the amount of resources we had in the bank and this perfectly highlights how the resource income is way too big right now. We were able to pull some 20 mediums out of the VF.

15. Señor_Awesome

Señor_Awesome Member

I'm happy to say almost all those mediums at your base for that first push were my squad, coming down from the northeast. My squad was very well coordinated that first match. The mediums you pushed out were quite a bit more than I actually expected. That part of the map just kind of morphed into a writhing blue mass.

Unfortunately, I found that during Homeland the squad wasn't always focused on what I needed them focused on and any squad organization on the team fell to pieces after we started using a rev squad instead of spawning. I couldn't even get back in alpha more often than not because people were just randomly rejoining whatever squad after getting revived.

16. Ranger

Ranger Member

When NF got mediums BE Charlie was in the west. Not sure if we pushed from south west up to north west, but I remember when mids starting coming in forcing we held them in the north for quite a long time with only infantry and the occasional AFV that died soon.

Also give to Seor and his squad medals of exceptional performance!

In homeland Imperial Artillery was particularly effective.

17. Xyaminou

Xyaminou Member

The good thing in the PUG was that both matches were very back and forth, so clearly well balance. Even on homeland both teams actually managed to push to each other's bases, I didn't feel like it was as much of a choke as people were saying, because of the amount of skill the frontlines were always moving back and forth.

18. Paradox

One of the great things about playing empires with 16+ players is that you can actually use strategy to win the game. You see the opponents massing tanks and moving one way and you can counter by massing your own tanks and take another strategic locations. You can flank, you can rush together to take a point with sacrifices etc etc.

It's so much fun to give orders and see them come through while if you do the same in an empires match everyone looks at you funny and tells you to fuck off.

Xyaminou likes this.
  19. Paradox

I think glacial would be so much fun if it was limited to like 1 vehicle every 2 people..

20. Xyaminou

Xyaminou Member